PDA

View Full Version : Honda 200M

lafermedavid
01-08-2014, 08:27 PM
Hi, was using my 200m today to haul firewood out of woods with my homemade cart.Everything was going as planned,and then all of a sudden,clatter in clutch area and no movement.Motor continues to run good.So before I tear into it ,wanted to throw this out there to those with experince.I love this thing,and it is a work horse.Any help and direction will be greatly appreciated.Thanks Dave

tri again
01-08-2014, 08:41 PM
200m, Great machines.
So I'm sure you were running it slowly just wanting to get your work done, no crazy friends seeing how fast it will go.
I'd try the search key. I don't remember hearing much about catastrophic failure in the clutch area other than shift linkage issues.

Any chance the chain or sprockets took a flying leap?
I would think if something came apart inside the clutch, it wouldn't rev smoothly.

Lots of folks getting home from work so you should get some answers soon.
Does it have reverse?
hi / lo?

lafermedavid
01-08-2014, 08:48 PM
thanks for reply,no reverse wish it did.Yea going slow,but reving it to get going hauling wood.Sound of clatter coming from clutch area .Ill tear into it tommorow or weekend,see what up.

lafermedavid
01-08-2014, 10:08 PM
pulled small sprocket cover,chain off duh.My small sprocket has play in and out ,not much but some.Is this normal?thankyou

lafermedavid
01-08-2014, 10:16 PM
184058 wood hauler

webbch
01-08-2014, 11:07 PM
On my 200s, there's definitely what you'd call a very small, but noticeable, amount of play in and out on that front sprocket. And that's with a brand spanking new countershaft, sprocket, fixing plate, and bolts as well. My guess is that it's normal.

Sounds like your chain got way loose and jumped off. On mine, the PO had installed a rear sprocket with one more tooth, but rather than put on a new chain, he opted to add a second master link with a 2-link piece of chain in between, effectively adding a total of 3 teeth to the chain. Even with the adjustment maxed out, the chain was loose, so I installed the stock size rear sprocket (new front as well) and a new stock size chain. Then I was able to properly tighten the chain.

MNhondaguy
01-08-2014, 11:20 PM
Movement should be normal. I'm sure the chain and sprockets are old, replace them all at once. New front, rear and chain, tighten to spec and should be good to go.

kb0nly
01-09-2014, 08:44 PM
Movement should be normal. I'm sure the chain and sprockets are old, replace them all at once. New front, rear and chain, tighten to spec and should be good to go.

Agreed.... Not to uncommon of a problem on chain drive units. Replace all three parts and give it another ten years... LOL

lafermedavid
01-10-2014, 11:39 AM
Thanks for replys guys.This is a great site.Hauled wood again yesterday after putting chain back on.All I did was front sprocket chain installed ,rear started and turn axle manually to jump chain back on.Seemed snug.3/4 threw the day the chain jumped again.I replaced chain and front sprocket,and rear sprocket two winters ago.First time any difficulties.Maybe I need to adjust tensioner ,and oil my chain and go from there.Ill give that a try.again thanks so much

DohcBikes
01-10-2014, 12:11 PM
If you are able to "jump the chain on" then its almost ALWAYS gonna jump right back off before long.

kb0nly
01-10-2014, 12:12 PM
I would check the tensioner and also check your axle for side to side play. If the axle has to much play side to side that can cause the chain to jump also. If it has too much play try adjusting the axle nuts to take it out.

Any noise in the rear end at all?

lafermedavid
01-10-2014, 12:25 PM
Thanks guys.No ,noise in rear at all,runs good when i put it on.Did not realize,if I can jump it on ,it can jump off.great info.I will do the adjustments,oil,and get back with a follow up.Thanks again really