PDA

View Full Version : 85 ATC 70 trans

BGMAN
01-09-2014, 01:12 AM
Hi everyone,

My little 85 70 is starting to pop out of gear and I have a hard time getting it back in gear. Several years ago I replaced the shift fork because it wouldn't shift at all...I think, it has been a while.

What do you guys think? Is it worn out again? It has been shifted and run hard in its life. Original owner too!

BGMAN
01-11-2014, 02:20 PM
Well 3 days and no answers or suggestions??I guess I'll just tear into it and see if I find something broken or worn out.

kb0nly
01-11-2014, 04:32 PM
Must be a busy week, surprised you didnt get any replies already!

I have never personally wrenched on a 70, almost every other model made though, just don't get them around here, but it sounds like the best you can do is tear into it. Clutch adjustment? I would be looking at simple things before splitting it and checking the forks.

fastatc70
01-11-2014, 05:18 PM
Hey guys.
Sounds like you have a bad shifting fork and possibly a bad tranny. The 85 is the only atc70 tranny that shifts up like modern machines. You can get a tranny and shift forks from dratv for short money. I think the older trannys will work with the 85 shift drums.

fastatc70
01-11-2014, 05:21 PM
The other thing you can try is change the oil and adjust the auto clutch. The nut on the clutch cover is the adjustment.

BGMAN
01-11-2014, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the replies. I did mess with the clutch adj a little and it didn't make difference. Oil is fresh, less than 5 hrs on the oil. Once I get up in 4th gear, it won't jump out. Shifting back down to N is a little bit of a challenge but if I work the shifter down and "help" it by rotating the round shift indicator back to N it will go. I'll tear into it this week. I remember a few years ago I replaced a little arm in there that had a roller tip on it if memory serves, I'm thinking that is the first place I need to check.

Here is a quick pic of the little girl:

briano
01-12-2014, 07:40 AM
That arm is the shift drum stopper. I'm willing to bet my left nut that's the problem. Both of my 85's had the same exact symptoms and both had broken shift drum stoppers.

fastatc70
01-12-2014, 08:30 AM
I hope it's just the shift drum arm or detent arm.

fastatc70
01-12-2014, 08:32 AM
If you lived close to MA I have a ton of tranny parts for this little motor.

briano
01-12-2014, 08:42 AM
The shift drum stoppers were around $10 each from dr. Atv

wonderboy
01-14-2014, 08:43 AM
My vote is the shift drum stopper as well. Very easy to access too. Pull the cover and let us know what you find.

BGMAN
01-14-2014, 01:46 PM
I'll keep you posted. Planning on digging into it this weekend, maybe sooner :p

BGMAN
01-22-2014, 12:25 AM
UPDATE:

I pulled the cover off and removed the clutch. It appears that the bolt that holds on that shift arm had started to back out allowing the arm's roller tip to jump out of the detents on that shift drum. As I stated before, I replaced this arm a few years back because the roller tip had actually broken off. I removed the bolt and re installed it with lock-tite this time. Hopefully that was the problem. I'm in the process of putting everything back together and will go for a test spin over the weekend. I'll let everyone knows how she runs.

t

BGMAN
01-22-2014, 02:50 AM
Fixed! Threw it back together and took a few laps around the front lawn. All seems to be good. Thanks again to everyone who replied. Ill try to post more once my probation is over. Would like to share my fleet with everyone.

Tomcall
01-22-2014, 03:13 AM
Very cool. Nice looking little trike.

kb0nly
01-22-2014, 10:43 PM
Sweet... That shift drum stopper is a little devil. I have had three 125M's and at least two maybe three i dont remember for sure 110's that had the same problem also. The locktite is a good plan. Just use the Blue and not the Red... LOL

I have snapped a few of those stopper bolts off, turned out they were already cracked and about to go. They have a weakened spot around the top where there is a threadless portion of bolt. I plan on having a friend of mine thats a whizz on the lathe to make up a couple shoulder washers that would convert a standard bolt to the right head for the stopper and then i can use a harder grade bolt. Its usually not a problem though until someone gets agressive with the shifter.

BGMAN
02-03-2014, 02:54 PM
We were finally able to play in the dirt this weekend. The little 70 never skipped a beat. I swear I like riding this bike more than my other 250's. Me getting a little air:

fastatc70
02-05-2014, 11:38 AM
We were finally able to play in the dirt this weekend. The little 70 never skipped a beat. I swear I like riding this bike more than my other 250's. Me getting a little air:

Nice 70. I like riding the 70 better then the rest of the toys I have. It's been Parked since the last ride months ago. 15 mile ride through the woods, I still hurt.

think369
04-02-2014, 09:04 AM
Ya almost all of those old horizontal honda motors have problems with the shift arm or shift star or something related I have seen that in multiple bikes

Tomcall
04-03-2014, 02:21 AM
Think 369 - i agree. It's the first thing I look at when this starts to happen. I had similar problems though on an 85sx. Flying W and I sent lots of emails about that one. Turned out the gear shift arm was bent.

crazycooter
04-04-2014, 10:35 PM
That arm is the shift drum stopper. I'm willing to bet my left nut that's the problem. Both of my 85's had the same exact symptoms and both had broken shift drum stoppers.
X2 I agree

Opps there is a page two :)
Good its fixed!