PDA

View Full Version : todays craigslist disaster

redsox
01-09-2014, 11:01 PM
i'm disappointed that the original ad is down, but, so you get the gist, a guy in derry NH had posted an ad. it was titled "84 250r" $1000 with no pics. I clicked on the ad and it said 84 honda 250r. "great shape" "runs strong" and "everything works as it should" There was a phone number, so i sent a text that said "Still have the 250r?" "Any pics?" the following pics are screenshots of what unfolded.

so, my question is, is this guy out of his mind or did i miss something?:crazy:

kebby28
01-09-2014, 11:12 PM
He is scum!!! And full of sh*t! He jacked the price up $200 just to see if he could get it and when you called him on it he had to make something up... Maybe he did pay someone to rebuild it and never updated the price which is his loss, but bragging about being a big spender? $1200 is just a night on the town? Right...
You did good in text Redsox.

Bren_downe
01-09-2014, 11:39 PM
If 1200 is a night on the town then why is he dicking you for 200? I've sold more for less just to get rid of the damn agrivation. 2600 for a lc is crazy! Damn I hate the prices in New England!

MNhondaguy
01-10-2014, 12:24 AM
You did good sir. Proud you kept your cool and didnt say "ok,1200" then go and kick his ass for being a dink.

Ghostv2
01-10-2014, 01:53 AM
$200 to clean a carb and dial it in? I do that for FREE for people. Clearly he is an idiot. Also, he should of changed the craigslist add then. False advertising.
I wouldnt buy it off him even if he came back and said a lower price.

Another reason why i hate dealing with people on craigslist.

DohcBikes
01-10-2014, 02:02 AM
$200 to clean a carb and dial it in? I do that for FREE for people.
I have a whole box of dirty carbs, can I get your address lol....

captainweezy
01-10-2014, 10:00 AM
This would have never happened if you had just called him. I hate with a passion someone who text messages relating to business matters. It goes no where good. I have text messages in my phone right now that are asking if I have a certain part etc. I refuse to answer. To me its a waste of time. My opinion. :)

IronBear
01-10-2014, 10:11 AM
I've seen his ad's Dan, Isn't this the guy who has several machines listed in Derry, NH with no pictures?

There are A LOT of dishonest people out there. All you need to do is be honest, and update your ads!

New2Tri-Z
01-10-2014, 01:01 PM
Dealt with the same thing lately. Was looking at an 05 crf 50 for my boys for Christmas (they were asking $350). No phone number or email listed in ad so i email through craigslist and no response??? I send another request, no response?? Then I posted an ad asking for the seller to contact me giving them my phone number (cell and work) and email. Then they update their ad with a statement something like " we will not answer spam email, no matter if you seem like a real person or not". Now I have responded to lots of ads and sold lots of things and never had that happen. But whatever, I kindly emailed them again stating I was the person trying to look at the bike. No response?? About another week goes by and it is re posted with new price $400 firm and now states "missing back brakes and plastics are cracked". So I create a new email address and respond. This time they got right back to me but when I offered them $300 (being as it was for my boys,it needs brakes!!!) the lady got pissed and told me to go low ball someone else. She wouldn't sell it too me no matter what now??? :wondering. So I thanked her for being so easy to deal with and went on my way. It was by far the craziest craigslist seller I ever dealt with. The thing that got me though was when they raised the price then listed the mechanical issues. Some people are just impossible to please. I think you did good redsox and that seller has a serious attitude problem.

Dave_D
01-10-2014, 01:58 PM
I respond to a few craigslist ads and sometimes throw out reasonable offers and usually get named a lowballer regardless how close my offer was to asking price. I think a lot of the sellers try to be "tough" behind the keyboard
But for some if the listings I'm not going to drive 2 hours to make the same offer in person and risk having to turn around empty handed

Larry T Moore
01-10-2014, 06:30 PM
I got my 85 250sx off of craigslist...it was 700 but we kept talking and I got if for 550...the entire time the dude kept laughing and telling me I didnt know jack about 3 wheelers..I just nodded and let him go...I rode it in the vacant lot next door and knew right away it needed a hub..so I thought hell with it I got parts to fix..as my buddy and I loaded it up he kept telling me to keep an eye on the radiator ...he also had a klt for sale..it was also on craigslist for 800...he didnt know the rearend unlocked and I showed him how to do it...he relisted the klt for 1200 and it now had a locking diff....great guy...lol....

R-N-D
01-10-2014, 08:00 PM
This would have never happened if you had just called him. I hate with a passion someone who text messages relating to business matters. It goes no where good. I have text messages in my phone right now that are asking if I have a certain part etc. I refuse to answer. To me its a waste of time. My opinion. :)

This is true in many cases but there are many ads on CL that ask for people to reply with "Text Only". Won't answer calls or emails. Don't quite understand it but they are out there.

Super350
01-11-2014, 01:16 AM
YA DID GOOD DANO!

I talked to him the day he posted his '86...it went know where fast...he sucks....typical "its mint, all original , super clean, runs perfect" andas soon as he sent me pics I was like..."ohh its funny I almost bid on that...later buddy"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Honda-250r-atc-/231123889927?item=231123889927&forcerrptr=true&pt=ATVs&hash=item35d00eaf07&nma=true&si=OV9ETMP9vGPkhgX5Ch9BbrTEvyo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

DohcBikes
01-11-2014, 02:46 AM
This is true in many cases but there are many ads on CL that ask for people to reply with "Text Only". Won't answer calls or emails. Don't quite understand it but they are out there.

I list everything text only. The reason I do this is because Im working on bikes and I don't have the time to answer the phone every ten minutes for people that are just kicking tires. I understand that a lot of people here on 3ww are serious buyers, but a lot of people on craigslist are not.

Redsox the guy you dealt with is a massive idiot.

redsox
01-11-2014, 10:22 AM

i actually prefer text for the original interaction. i can do it from work and i can get a bunch of questions out of the way pretty easily. then if its something i'm interested in i'll shoot a call. i'm also glad i dealt with this idiot via text rather than a call. all preference i guess.

90guy
01-11-2014, 12:45 PM
OOOPPSS!!! HAHA Sorrry Shane! As for the ad That would have made me mad. Has happened a couple of time to me where they pull the someone else is offering more after we had agreed on a price and they say I can have it for that price. I hate being tugged around. I just drop contact with them and let them figure it out.

captainweezy
01-11-2014, 01:42 PM
OOOPPSS!!! HAHA Sorrry Shane! As for the ad That would have made me mad. Has happened a couple of time to me where they pull the someone else is offering more after we had agreed on a price and they say I can have it for that price. I hate being tugged around. I just drop contact with them and let them figure it out.

Should rephrase that a little. If you are a 3ww member I have no problem with texting. :beer