PDA

View Full Version : 84 250r headlight wiring

Redneckcustoms
01-09-2014, 11:44 PM
I apologize if im in the wrong section. I have an 84 that I got last week from a good friend. He put a 350x headlight set up on it but never hooked it up. I want to get the headlights and taillight functioning. I found the little schematic/color coded diagram and have found no power on the yellow wire when the bike is running. Is there a way to test the "capacitor discharge ignition unit"? Diagram: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/oldsite/files/Wiring/ATC250Rx83Thru84.jpg

trike savior
01-13-2014, 01:15 AM
The CDI is part of the ignition system. The lighting system stuff is separate. Most likely the problem is the "lighting coil" in the engine, behind the flywheel. It creates the voltage for the lights and is most likely shorted. Ohm it out according to the manual. Do not confuse it with what they call the "Igniter coil" (I think) which is right next to the lighting coil behind the flywheel. The igniter coil creates voltage for the ignition system.

If the lighting coil is good the check the wiring and mainly the handle bar switch.

Redneckcustoms
01-13-2014, 09:58 AM
All wiring seems fine. Carries voltage fine reckon I need to snatch the side cover off. Got to do a gasket swap on top end anyway we can make a whole day out of it lol