PDA

View Full Version : 200x ride after new DG exhaust. Do you think I have to worry about jetting?

ATC90JAY
01-12-2014, 04:38 PM
Installed the new DG exhaust and she is running great!! I did not adjust any Jetting as she is running great...Anything I should look for?

90guy
01-12-2014, 04:44 PM
Plug check. Usually when installing an aftermarket exhaust you will have to go up a jet size.

trike savior
01-12-2014, 04:45 PM
check plug. it can be on lean side and still run good but will eventually cause damage. main question is did you replace stock exhaust or aftermarket. if you replaced stock I would go up a jet size to be safe. rich is always better.

DohcBikes
01-12-2014, 04:56 PM
If the bike has no other mods, and of course depending on elevation, a 112 (one size up like 90guy said) usually works well for me with a pipe upgrade. Don't worry about gaining even more performance from the jet change, you may or may not. As long as performance doesn't decrease, just like trike savior said, richer is better.

dmfaulks85
01-12-2014, 05:55 PM
I put I 112 in my 200x after some mods ( full dg exhaust, uni filter, bored .20 over, 10:25:1 piston) and it runs great with no problems

Turbeau
01-17-2014, 04:14 PM
As long as the plug isn't a grey ash color of the electrode you should be ok. An grey ash color would indicate a lean condition which could damage the engine.

barnett468
01-18-2014, 12:52 AM
Installed the new DG exhaust and she is running great!! I did not adjust any Jetting as she is running great...Anything I should look for?Your bike is around 27 years old, I have no idea if someone changed your jet sizes or has done any mods during that time. It may have been jetted too rich before and is now jetted perfectly due to the installation of the pipe etc., therefore I would look for the following.

AIR FILTER - Make sure it is clean.

MAIN JET SIZE – If you are below around 3000 feet in elevation, go up at least 1 size over stock as suggested by others. You might try 2.
As suggested by Trike Savior, slightly rich is safer than slightly lean as long it is not so rich that it burbles/sputters upon acceleration etc. or causes your plug to look very dark tan or dry and powdery black. .

NEEDLE CLIP POSITION – If you are below around 3000 feet in elevation, lower clip on needle 1 position from stock.

STOCK JETTING

For carb PD62A , the tiny number on the side of the carb which is for, up to, and including 1983, the needle goes in the third groove down from the top and has a 110 main jet.

For carb PD62B, 1984 and 1985, use the 4th clip down on the needle and a 108 main jet.

For carb PD64A A, 1986, use the 2nd clip position down and a 122 main jet.

For carb PD64AB and AC, Late 86, use the 3rd clip position down and a 112 main jet.

IDLE FUEL MIX SCREW ADJUSTMENT – If it idles steady for more than a minute, I would not touch this screw. If the idle is erratic or dies then one option is to do the following.

Turn screw in clockwise until it barely stops.

Turn it out 1 3/4 turn.

Start big and get it warm.

Set idle speed to around 1300 with idle set screw.

Turn fuel mix screw in 1/4 turn at a time until bike dies.

Turn screw out 1 full turn.

Reset idle speed if necessary.

RIDING TEST - Floor the throttle from around 5 mph in second gear. if it burbles/sputters before accelerating, it is likely too rich, if it simply fails to accelerate like it is out of gas or no throttle was applied before it accelerates, it is likely lean.

PLUG TEST - Install a new plug for the plug test, use the recommended heat range.It might take 30 minutes or more to get sufficient color on it to read it properly.

To estimate main jet setting, tun bike wide open in 3rd or 4th gear for around 3 seconds then turn off kill switch before letting off throttle. Inspect color.

APPROXIMATE PLUG COLOR CHART

WHITE OR LITE GRAY = very lean

VERY LITE TAN = slightly lean

MEDIUM TAN = good

DARK TAN DRY BLACK = very rich

WET GOOEY BLACK = burning oil and possibly rich. Check for ex smoke and smoke color.

How much choke it requires for starting vs outdoor temp?