PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 225dx shaft problem

Millerjosh84
01-13-2014, 12:14 PM
Hey I'm wondering if anyone can help me out, I have a 225dx that won't move, when it's on blocks & in gear turned off & I spin the tires with some force it catches a little bit then spins freely like its in neutral,, I think it has something to do with the shaft but how do I go about removing the shaft? Do I have to take the axle out too? I started to attempt removing the axle but it's not budging even with a 15lb sledge

DohcBikes
01-13-2014, 01:20 PM
Welcome to 3ww!

Please put the sledgehammer down.

You download a service manual from oscarmeyer.net, I don't have the exact link but just Google oscarmeyer.net and ATC manuals-oscarmeyer.net will show up in the results.

I will look up the procedure now as well, and I will give you a step by step if you need further assistance!

DohcBikes
01-13-2014, 01:40 PM
OK here we go. As stated in the manual.

Axle removal. This must be done first.

1.park the vehicle on level ground. Block the front wheel.
2.remove the seat and fenders.
3.remove both rears wheels.
4.remove the cotter pin and hub nuts, remove the hubs.
5.remove the trailer hitch
6.remove the axle ring nuts. Do not heat to remove.
7.remove rear caliper.
8.tap the axle out from the right hand side. (Its a good idea to thread the hub nut almost flush to hit it)

Final drive unit and driveshaft.

1. Drain.
2.remove rear axle(done)
3.remove the nuts and washers securing the final drive to the swingarm.
4.pull the final drive unit and drive shaft straight back until it is disengaged from the splines on the ujoint

muthey
01-13-2014, 10:58 PM
Are you sure it's the shaft and not bad clutches, do you hear grinding while you spin the wheels? Definitely download a manual, and check through alot more things like the clutches before tearing it apart. Let us know what you have checked and tried so we can help you more.

emmie357
01-14-2014, 08:07 AM
I just posted the procedure for adjusting the clutch for someone else, try this:

To the left of the clutch housing is a nut on a bolt coming out of the engine case. That is the adjuster.
The nut locks the adjuster in place. Loosen it, and use a flathead on the slot in the end of the bolt.
Turn it counterclockwise until you feel resistance, then back it out 1/8 of a turn and tighten the lock nut back down.

It's possible you clutch is over-tightened and always engaged... you can try this without removing any cases or covers, so it's a good first step. My next step would probably be to remove the clutch cover and inspect the primary/secondary clutches.

Is there any particular reason you are thinking it's the rear end?

purplemotoman
01-14-2014, 03:59 PM
I had almost the exact described problem and it ended up being the last owner tightened the adjuster bolt for the clutch all the way clockwise and then tightened up the nut.