PDA

View Full Version : Honda ATC ignition switch repair

cap
01-17-2014, 02:38 PM
Hopefully someone can find this useful.

The ignition ON/OFF switch on my 200M was very loose with no detent for the run position. The switch could jiggle to the OFF position and make unwanted contact shutting down the bike.
A simple fix will make the switch work like new.

Remove the switch carefully to prevent anything from falling if it is loose inside.
Remove the screw inside that holds the toggle switch arm down.
Slide the toggle switch arm off the post it sits on and note the washer underneath it and how it sits.
The problem will be the missing steel ball that sits on top of the spring in the housing. The ball may be laying inside the housing somewhere.
Replace the steel ball with another one that is suitable, I used a #6 bird shot bb that worked but a #4 might be better.
The toggle switch has a metal tab with a detent the ball sits in at the run position. This tab may be bent up allowing the original ball to fall out, bend to level or more if needed.
Inspect and clean the components.
Set the new ball on the spring with a small dab of grease and reinstall the toggle arm.

webbch
01-17-2014, 03:23 PM
Nice illustrations....just went through this procedure with one of my switches. According to my measurements, it uses an 1/8" ball bearing - smaller than a bb from your bb gun :) ...the bird shot idea is a good one. If you have a broken choke lever arm from an atc 185 or larger carb laying around, you can dig out the bb from it as well :)