PDA

View Full Version : 350x gas tank

Pitbilly
01-20-2014, 03:22 PM
Hi all
Just picked up a very clean bike however gas tank is dinged up and has some bad touch up paint. The inside has some light rust but not bad. I'm going to have the tank painted my question is should I have it creamed as well? I heard there's a product called evaporust the gets rid of rust in the tank...has anyone used it?

Thanks max

webbch
01-20-2014, 04:13 PM
Lots of discussion on this topic if you do a search. Seems to be more against "creaming" the tank than for it. But, like with painting, the quality of the result is entirely dependent on the prep work. POR-15 seems to be a popular choice (also requiring some prep work), as well as nothing more than just removing the rust with apple cider vinegar and then washing out the tank with water.

I recently removed the rust from 3 of my trikes' fuel tanks using apple cider vinegar. Takes a day or 3 is the only downside. When I was done de-rusting and washing them out, since they wouldn't be having fuel in them for a few weeks, so I poured in some WD-40, sloshed it around to give it a good coating, then dumped it out. That seemed to work fairly well.

If it's a rider or workhorse, I'd recommend just getting the rust out and refilling with gas. If it's a cream-puff, I'd do the POR-15. Of course, I live in a pretty dry climate, so YMMV.

In the past, I've removed rust with Muriatic acid, and I also have a setup for doing it via electrolysis. I despise using Muriatic acid due to it's toxicity and the fumes' effect on nearby metal objects, I like the electrolysis method, but I LOVE the apple cider vinegar approach for fuel tanks due to the simplicity and low toxicity. Actually, bead blasting is my favorite, but not appropriate in this case.

Turbeau
01-26-2014, 12:25 AM
I haven't had much trouble with rust in the tank. Mostly I think I have just been lucky. The little bit of surface rust that I have encountered I have dealt with using rustmort. Make sure the tank is empty and poor some in the tank with the petcock out. After that just slosh it around the tank. Rustmort contains acid in it so wear the appropriate protective gear. Drain the excess and let the rest evaporate out of the tank. Once that is done put the tank back together, add fuel and ride on my friend.