PDA

View Full Version : My 86 200X. Restore or sell.

bigezee
01-23-2014, 11:55 PM
Bought an 86 200x about 6 months ago. It was pretty rough when I bought it and only got it for 700 bucks. It had a little knock in the motor but I planned to get it rebuilt anyways and didn't think too much about it at the time. I dropped it off at my atv mechanic soon after and told him to crack the case and see what it needed to be stable. I told him I had plans to restore it to new and to take his time and get to it whenever he can. He is a one man shop and he is very good at what he does. You just can't be in a hurry for it. He calls me today after cracking the case on the motor and tells me he has some bad news. I guess it needs pretty much every thing replaced. Cam, crank, piston, all shot to hell and overheated and burned up the top end. I guess that knock was louder than i thought and getting worse. He has estimated all new parts and labor to be around 1400 dollars. He is a very honest guy that I trust and have known him forever so I believe he is pretty accurate on his estimate.

So I am at a point now of whether to go ahead with the rebuild or just give up and get rid of it. He said he is gonna call around and maybe save me some money by buying some used parts to get it going. Just wanting you all's opinion on what you guys would do. thanks

fabiodriven
01-24-2014, 12:11 AM
If I liked it I'd keep it. If I didn't I'd get rid of it.

UPNATM
01-24-2014, 12:53 AM
What about looking around for a turd 200x that may be aesthetically ugly as hell, but has a strong motor that you could buy for half, or even a quarter of what it will cost for the rebuild?

DohcBikes
01-24-2014, 01:24 PM
You can buy a Lifan 200 engine, more HP than stock, electric start, bolt in, for $600 new. Or you could do like I did and buy a whole used chinese dirt bike with a Lifan 200 e-start for $300. That way I got the wiring harness and all the accessories too.

The true lifans are excellent motors.

fabiodriven
01-24-2014, 04:29 PM
Y'know, I originally thought this thread was dumb, but both of those guys have some really good ideas that are much more affordable than the route you're thinking of going. Well done.

bigezee
01-24-2014, 08:07 PM
What about looking around for a turd 200x that may be aesthetically ugly as hell, but has a strong motor that you could buy for half, or even a quarter of what it will cost for the rebuild?

That is what he is gonna do for me. He knows a lot of people that might have some used trikes.. Every trike I come across locally is either in mint condition and expensive or always smokes and leaks and is in just as bad shape as the one I have now....

You can buy a Lifan 200 engine, more HP than stock, electric start, bolt in, for $600 new.

That sounds like a great idea. I really wanted to keep it all original but that might me a way to go here. I will let him know that and see what he says. Anyone have a picture of a Lifan motor mounted in an 86 200x frame and maybe some install pics? How much modification would it take to get it in? I guess I'll do some research on it. Thanks for the suggestions guys. much appreciated. I'll let ya know what happens here. Definitely not gonna spend 1400 on it....

200x350xtriz250
01-24-2014, 09:12 PM
The Lifan motor may fit with some work but it is NOT a bolt in for the 86-87 200x's. A TRX200sx motor MAY bolt in and would give you an auto-x. Other than that, 86-87 200x is the only bolt in option. Post up some pics of the bike. Are you sure it is an 86? IMO $1400 is......nuts. There was a complete running motor listed on ebay for $500 recently but didn't sell. Last running motor that sold on ebay was around $400 shipped. I've bought more than 1 86-87 200x complete and rideable for under $500. Crate motors for these have sold for less. Keep looking.

DohcBikes
01-24-2014, 09:24 PM
My mistake, I didn't see that it was an 86, thank you for the correction 200x350xtriz250:beer

I think, judging by his response, maybe the o.p. understood that it would need to be modified to fit the 86, even thou I made the mistake. My 200x is an 83. I apologize for any misleading information.

Either way there are much cheaper options than a 1400 dollar rebuild, not that 1400 is out of line for a good, complete rebuild.

Bolt in or not, if youre in the area bring it to AZ, I'll put a Lifan in it.

RDH/86200X
01-24-2014, 11:19 PM
Hey if you decide to go with a lifan motor I would be interested in the old engine.

cap
01-25-2014, 01:36 AM
Lifan for 389$+ 89$ shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LIFAN-200CC-5-SPD-ENGINE-MOTOR-MOTORCYCLE-DIRT-BIKE-ATV-/140678689103?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c11a714f&vxp=mtr

DohcBikes
01-25-2014, 02:20 AM
Wow I haven't seen them priced that low in a while! That one is the pushrod version, the same one I have. Usually you can find the carb, cdi, coil and other accessories for another $50 in a package deal. I was happy to get a whole bike because it gave me the accessories, wiring, twist throttle I was wanting, a free battery, key switch, etc.

Another great benefit to these engines is having a lot more juice to power lights, and a reg/rec to have regulated 12vdc.

fabiodriven
01-25-2014, 02:28 AM
Those have push rods? That's crazy!

DohcBikes
01-25-2014, 03:00 AM
Yep. They are contained inside the jug casting.

The 163FML pushrod has a 63.5mm bore with a 62.2mm stroke.
The 169FML pushrod uses a 69mm bore and a 53 mm stroke.

Some time I would like to see if I can somehow combine the two and make a 69 mm bore with a 62.2 mm stroke, but I have no idea if it is possible yet.

bigezee
01-25-2014, 11:10 AM
Hey if you decide to go with a lifan motor I would be interested in the old engine.

If I decide to go that route I would post the old motor here in the classified section before going to Ebay.

If I just give up I'll probably sell the whole damn thing on here. I bought it for 700. As long as I get my money back.

Do you think It is worth selling for $700? I'll post some pics.

I recently bought a decent headlight, chain cover, and exhaust shield for it

200x350xtriz250
01-25-2014, 12:07 PM
Personally I would keep it and fix it up. Not trying to ruffle any feathers but sadly I think you overpaid for it and will have a hard time getting your money back as is. Your area of the country maybe different. There are some things you could do to help the value, that are low cost. Recover the seat - a decent seat cover is around $30 and is easy to put on with a stapler. Put on some fork boots - about $15 should get you a set. See if you can find an unbroken tank scoop - I may have one and will check today if you are interested. See what you can do about the droopy front fender - maybe try putting a block of wood under it on your front tire for a while.

Parting it out is always an option too. You have a nice looking tank - $100. Motor that runs - if it is reassembled $300. If the axle is straight and splines are good $150-$200. Forks - $50-$100. Brakes if they work - $50-$100 each. There's $700 on the low side already and you still have a lot of parts to go.

DohcBikes
01-25-2014, 12:18 PM
Its a shame that someone didn't take better care of that one. Its still not that far gone. I would unquestionably keep it and slowly rebuild it, especially if I didn't need the money. Trike prices are going up fast.

spepple
01-25-2014, 01:15 PM
I agree, keep it and rebuild it, the one I bought for 80 bucks needed quite of few miscellaneous parts as well as a motor rebuild....but the prices are just gonna keep climbing, so that's why I'm keeping mine.

DohcBikes
01-25-2014, 02:10 PM
Hey bigezzee, it would help a lot to know where you are... here's a really nice 86 for $1300 in my area.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/mcy/4292311868.html

Fuzzy pics but I could probably get better ones if I called him.

bigezee
01-25-2014, 02:39 PM
Its a shame that someone didn't take better care of that one. Its still not that far gone. I would unquestionably keep it and slowly rebuild it, especially if I didn't need the money. Trike prices are going up fast.

That is why I would hate to part it out. It is almost all there and original, other than a few small things that were taken off or broke. I don't really need the money. This is why I am asking you all for your opinions on what I should do...

here's a really nice 86 for $1300 in my area.

I'm in Bridgeport, In Southeastern Illinois. That is a damn nice trike for the money. That is why I'm not spending 1400 on a motor if I can get a nice complete one like that for 1300 that looks 100% complete and almost mint condition. When i was looking for one i couldn't find a nice one like that close to my area so I settled for the one I got and now regret it. I would have to get my money back out of the one I have now to be able to get one like that.

I guess It won't hurt to ask. Does anyone close to southern Illinois have a complete running motor that is reasonable?

DohcBikes
01-25-2014, 02:52 PM
Be sure to post a WTB in the ATV classifieds for the engine. I'll be honest man I don't think you got burned that bad. Trike prices are just getting higher, and I can tell you right now that I would have paid 700 for that in a heartbeat, of course keeping in mind that I can build engines.

The 86 I posted is the only one I see on craigslist right now in phoenix. Does yours have a regular title with it? That makes it even more valuable.

bigezee
01-25-2014, 10:30 PM
Does yours have a regular title with it? That makes it even more valuable.

No title. I never even thought about it until I got it home and talked to a few people. I didn't think that old of a trike had one.

I didn't think 700 was too bad for one that ran (didn't smoke at the time, but knocked just a little) and being almost complete and original. It has had a rough life and I am wanting to save it from a rusty or dismantled death! We'll see what happens......

dirtwheels
01-26-2014, 01:30 AM
a motor just showed up online...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-1987-Honda-200x-ATC-Motor-OEM-Hondaline-Runs-Great-Complete-Engine-/181310023750?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a36eb6846&vxp=mtr

if you can get it for a decent price, it may be a quick way to get you up and running.

DohcBikes
01-26-2014, 02:03 AM
Hey that looks like a good one!! Lol I looked prolly 6 times today to try to find one

Dual z guy
01-26-2014, 02:43 AM
My mistake, I didn't see that it was an 86, thank you for the correction 200x350xtriz250:beer

I think, judging by his response, maybe the o.p. understood that it would need to be modified to fit the 86, even thou I made the mistake. My 200x is an 83. I apologize for any misleading information.

Either way there are much cheaper options than a 1400 dollar rebuild, not that 1400 is out of line for a good, complete rebuild.

Bolt in or not, if youre in the area bring it to AZ, I'll put a Lifan in it.

Have you run to Lifan engine set up much? Just wondering how it worked out for you?

DohcBikes
01-26-2014, 03:47 AM
My 83 200x has a Lifan engine, I was running it until I started rebuilding the trike. Its a 2007 169fml pushrod version. With the 200x engine mounts it bolts right in.

The front sprocket on the Lifan was a smaller size, I forget 430 or something weird, 15 tooth, so I changed to a 13 t 520 sprocket.

As I said before, I got a whole bike so I got the carb(27mm), throttle, all the wiring and components with it.

The original engine was in great shape, rebuilt by the previous owner, pod, supertrapp, jetted. The Lifan pulls way harder on the bottom, even with a front sprocket 1 tooth bigger than the X engine, and is more powerful all the way through the top. The Lifan was also running the supertrapp.

I ride my trikes on the street in Arizona, and the X engine would get pretty hot. The Lifan stays quite a bit cooler.

Dual z guy
01-26-2014, 08:38 AM
Good to hear! This has given me some ideas as I often see this model trike come up for sale and have a Chinese dirt bike in the garage. do you think the 250 cc engine would bolt in as well. I wonder if the rear shock could be made to work as the whole bike was cheaper than a replacement shock.

DohcBikes
01-26-2014, 11:04 AM
The engine is a maybe, some times the "250cc" is actually a 198cc, and some of the older 250s will work, although not as durable in my opinion... The shock, probably not the right one. Without seeing pics of your dirt bike its all speculation.

I can give you all the info you want, but we are kinda threadjacking here I think so if you would just start a thread about a possible Lifan swap, we could get that discussion and info all together in one place!!:beer

Rafflb
04-25-2014, 12:36 PM
I was windering how muchdifrent is the lifan than the stock 200x are they as relyable

DohcBikes
04-25-2014, 01:51 PM
Reliability, nobody beats Honda.

My experience with the lifans has been great. Upgrade the electronics. Upgrade the ignition coil. Put an NGK in it.

How much different, depends on the engine.

In the phillipines, there's a bike called the Honda 155 tmx. Although many people are unaware that Honda makes such an animal, it has a 155cc pushrod engine in it. Lifan has EXACT clones of this engine. Considering Honda and Lifan have done many dealings, its not unreasonable to think that they may be contracting Lifan to build these engines.

Most of the OHV Lifan engines you see are based on this design, just with changes to bore, stroke, compression ratio, cam lift, valve area, etc.

Curtie223
04-28-2014, 04:38 PM
Keep It!!
What about other swaps? Has anyone ever tried using something bigger like 300ex or 400ex? I know that would tick off some of the hard core guys, But it's something that I have been thinking of myself for my 85. I know it wont bolt right in but with a good welder and some fab skills should be possible?

sharky55
05-06-2014, 12:21 AM
Its worth the rebuild for sure even if you replace the engine and rebuild the original overtime. I do not know much about the lifan's but are they a 5 speed transmission? aren't 86's a 6 speed transmission? that can impact the value