PDA

View Full Version : 80 ATC110 - bad stator?

3Wheel_Hunter
01-24-2014, 10:56 PM
Have a problem and am hoping you all can help me out.

I'm working on an 80 ATC110; runs well, and starts with the first pull. The problem I have is I don't have any power going to the lights. Tested the black wire and there's voltage to start the 110, but the yellow wire doesn't have anything.

Wanted to see if anyone ever encountered this problem and had a solution without having to replace the stator. Is it possible to pull the stator and fix the yellow wire?

hoosierlogger
01-24-2014, 11:58 PM
I have soldered new leads on 2 of those type stators in the past. That might be your problem. If the windings are bad you will probably be better off replacing it instead of trying to repair it.

webbch
01-25-2014, 01:17 AM
I replaced just the primary coil on my 110's stator assembly. A new coil is cheap, and no big deal to solder on there. The lighting coil, on the other hand, appears to be much harder to find as an individual component. Probably just easier (and cheaper) to replace the stator assembly, like hoosierlogger says.

3Wheel_Hunter
01-25-2014, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the responses! Guess I'll have to find a replacement.

hoosierlogger
01-25-2014, 09:34 AM
There is a company in canada that rewinds stators and offers a 1 year warranty on them. Rm stator is the name of it. They rewound my big wheel 200 coil to factory specs.

3Wheel_Hunter
01-25-2014, 11:37 AM
Thanks hoosierlogger! I'm on their web-site and it said there's a 72 hour turn-around; is that your experience? Also, was it cheaper than buying another stator?

hoosierlogger
01-25-2014, 11:53 AM
It was about a week. I had to ship it to them, they had to fix it, and ship it back. It spent more time in shipping than anything else. It was about $100 for my coil. Your 110 coil is a different style. It will likley cost more. I dealt with Melanie there she was great. I emailed them pics of it, along with what it was from and they replied back same day with a quote. They did an absolutely fabulous job on it. They even soldered the leads on it the color and length I stated that I wanted. That's not too bad for an almost impossible part to find.

110 coils are easier to find. pm howdy or Captainweezy and see if either one of them has one.

3Wheel_Hunter
01-25-2014, 12:03 PM
Thanks again hoosierlogger; I'll look up howdy or Captainweezy. I appreciate the help!

webbch
01-25-2014, 08:27 PM
I saw a Ricky Stator lighting coil on ebay for the 110 for about $40 as well. I just figured that for that much, or more, it's worth the gamble on a used stator assembly (about $25 on ebay last time I looked)...at least for a machine that's not difficult to find parts for yet. It doesn't seem that lighting coils are a huge problem on these machines, like the primary coils are anyway.

3Wheel_Hunter
01-25-2014, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the tip webbch, but I have the multi pole stator.

webbch
01-25-2014, 09:15 PM
Ah, I wasn't aware of that difference between the early 80 models. I see the multi-pole ones are a different story.

barnett468
01-26-2014, 08:12 AM
hello;

ok easy test.

if yours is an 80 or earlier simply

take a continuity meter and test the yellow wire to ground.

if it has no continuity, you have a break in the system.

remove the flywheel

test the coil from where the yellow wire connects to the eng.

if nothing, test it from where the yellow wire connects to where the coil grounds to the eng.

of nothing you coil is definitely bad.

if it has continuity throughout, it is working to some degree.

check the ohms against the manual spec.

if it reads 30% higher or lower it is still likely fine.

if your volt meter reads/saves peak volt readings, connect it, remove spark plug, and kick it over fast and tell us the voltage.

hoosierlogger
01-26-2014, 09:23 AM
It sounds like he already knows it is bad.

3Wheel_Hunter
01-28-2014, 11:05 PM
barnett468,

I've taken a multi meter to it, and nothing is coming out of the yellow wire. I took hoosierlogger's advise and contacted RM Stator. Also, one of the other members on here offered me one from a parts motor that he has.

This is a great forum, 3 wheeler community!!