PDA

View Full Version : Klt 110 carb problems.

Nickmazz
01-25-2014, 06:36 PM
I was riding my trike down to the local trails. Right were the trails start it stalled out. my friend towed me home. I checked the spark fat blue..... Continued to clean the carb. Cleaned all jets and it fired u first pull.... It idles fine but when i go to give it gas it just sputters and when i let off the throttle it dies but i give it a lil bit of gas and it goes to idle again.I have a full tank of gas and a good fuel flow from the petcock to carb. I dont know it why it sputters???? Can someone help me asap?!? Thanks

danbur55
01-25-2014, 07:54 PM
just thought (if i'm thinking be afraid very afraid) I worked on a friends 85 klt185 a while back I know yours is 110 but does it have a fuel pump or gravity flow also check for vacuum leaks at carb and intake areas

Nickmazz
01-25-2014, 09:28 PM
Gravity flow...... Checked for leaks nothing

barnett468
01-26-2014, 07:36 AM
Hi Nick;

Is this a new prob?

How long did it run fine until it reached the trails?

Is it only a prob once the engine warms up?

You can try the following if you want.

Drain the float bowl into a narrow clear glass via the drain screw.

if it has a clear bubble on the bottom it is water.

if it has sediment like rust etc., clean the carb and install a clear gas filter.

CARB –

Take a 10” long piece of clear plastic tube.

Connect it to the float bowl drain fitting.

Hold the open end next to the carb even with the carb top.

Open petcock and bowl drain screw.

Gas should partially fill the tube.

The level should be from the bottom of the carb body to 3mm or 1/8" below the bottom of the carb body at the float bowl.

High is richer, low is leaner. If it is off by more than around 1/8th inch I would correct it by adjusting the float.

You should not need full throttle to start it.

barnett468
01-26-2014, 07:39 AM
post correction.

if the float level is off by more than around 3/32", i would correct it.

Nickmazz
01-26-2014, 03:25 PM
It ran fine for 2 days and the 3rd day it ran fine the whole way to the trails about 5 min then it stalled

barnett468
01-26-2014, 03:35 PM
ok thanks for the info, i would try a new plufg first then do the tests i suggested and those that others suggest then.

what color is your plug, white, lite to medium tan, dark tan to black etc?

Nickmazz
01-26-2014, 04:19 PM
Dark it has fat blue spar..... Spark isnt the issue

barnett468
01-26-2014, 04:39 PM
ok a dark plug is rich, it should be lite to medium tan. the plug might also be carbin fouled etc. plugs will occasionally fire fine at idle but will cut out under load.throttle etc.

easy things first.

either way if it is not black, gooey and moist, you are likely not burning oil and the plug might have funally given out.

i would still do the carb tests then if the fkoat level is ok and there is no water in the gas, i might jet it leaner, but if you jet it and it and it starts to have a hesitation without a sputter or burble, it is too lean.

make sure air cleaner is clean.

good luck, hope you get it fixed easily.

DohcBikes
01-26-2014, 05:42 PM
How does the choke operate on your carb? Is it possibly stuck closed?

Possibly from a broken lever, butterfly, cable, etc?

Have you checked for an exhaust obstruction? Squirrel nuts in your pipe;)?

Its sounds like you could possibly be short on air, either in or out.

Nickmazz
01-26-2014, 07:48 PM
Choke isnt stuck... .I cleaned carb again..... Its a keihen carb the main jet has a smaller jet which screws out of it..... It runs idles fine tiny bit of throttle ok...... A little more is starts to sputter. I removed the smaller jet from the big jet and tried to run it..... IT ran the same but worse and was burning oil..... IM guessing i need to go down on the main jet the main jet is a 102.

DohcBikes
01-26-2014, 08:01 PM
It was probably smoking from too much fuel if you had the main removed. Here are the stock carb specs.
Keihin PC18
35 pilot
102 main
Fuel screw 1-3/8 turns out
Clip fourth notch from top
Float 18-22mm
Slide cutaway 3.0

Nickmazz
01-26-2014, 08:01 PM
If the main jet is 102 what size should i drop it down to...... It idles when throttle is applied it goes brbrbrbrbrbr like a rev limiter but then return to idle dosent die.....

Nickmazz
01-26-2014, 09:32 PM
I just bought a brand new carb

Nickmazz
01-26-2014, 11:05 PM
???? what jetting should i run