PDA

View Full Version : Ama Rules

mudduck14843
01-03-2004, 01:22 AM
Anybody have a copy of AMA/ATV race rules?
i believe what i'm looking for would be in a general AMA/ATV rule book.
So it doesn't HAVE to be from:
GNCC,SHORT TRACK,HAIR SCRAMBLE
but that would be nice also.
i was looking at some of the rules(the ones i can find)
and it struck me that it didn't say that ATV'S had to have 4 wheels!!!

And 2 yrs ago there was a hill climb(AMA SANTIONED)
that let trikes run!!!I was there...

Billy Golightly
01-03-2004, 10:47 AM
Where they get you is at signup, when you put in your year make model cc, and then an official looks over it before they give your wristband to race (Alteast thats how it is around here), that is where their going to find out and deny you. I cant remember exactly where at in the ama book it was, but I do recall seeing something pretty exact that says more or less "No threewheelers"

TimSr
01-03-2004, 11:01 AM
AMA has refused to allow 3 wheelers to compete in sanctioned events for at least 14 years that i have personal knowledge of which is the sole reason I began racing in the CRA.

Their rules do not specify "no 3 wheelers" but they do define a quad. Most of the AMA individual district websites have the class rules posted.

If you saw 3 wheelers in an AMA hillclimb, what probably happened was the track owner or promoter allowed them to run for exibition purposes, but they were not eligible for AMA scoring. That would be pretty rare, and if it happned once at an event, it probably wont happen again at the same event, because the AMA puts a lot of heat on track owners to operate according to their wishes for the privilege of being AMA sactioned.

Your best bet for fiding competitions that allow 3 wheelers is to look for smaller more local sanctioning bodies such as CRA in Ohio, or look to outlaw (unsanctioned) events.