PDA

View Full Version : Lost my stepfather at 12:20 AM today : (

Dirtcrasher
01-27-2014, 04:51 PM
The man I hated when I was 17 years old became a better father to me than my own. His health has deteriorated since October and he was 83 years old.

He and my Mother have had 25 wonderful retired years together; They did so many things. I have cried so hard my eyeballs hurt!!

Anyway, we all have to go somehow and he went holding my mothers hand in the ambulance. He did not suffer, double pneumonia complications didn't help.

This man has fought cancer, clogged arteries, open heart surgery and had his gall bladder removed. But it was emphasima (incorrect spelling, at moms PC) that did him in. He would fight for air and this was all from smoking and he quit at 45 YEARS OLD!!!!!

So, quit now my friends, it is only downhill from here.

I love you Jim Yost wherever you are; Thank you for being good to my mom and treating me as if I were your own!!

Hug the ones you love guys!!!!!

jays375
01-27-2014, 05:03 PM
So sorry to hear your loss Steve.Sounds like he was a real fighter for sure!You have friends here use them if you need to.

badass350x
01-27-2014, 05:05 PM
Sorry to hear this DC you have been through a lot lately, He seemed to be a very good man!! May he rest at peace now. Things have got to get better for you and they will.

DohcBikes
01-27-2014, 05:07 PM
Thoughts and prayers in our house are with you and your family...

czac
01-27-2014, 05:11 PM
Sorry to here this... My condolences!

tripledog
01-27-2014, 05:55 PM
Although it will not ease your pain, your stepfather is in a better place. Trust me; you will sense his spirit in things that you see, hear, and feel... things that you may have taken for granted before. My most sincere condolences, Dirtcrasher.

dougspcs
01-27-2014, 05:57 PM
DC..I struggle to find the words to say having just been dealt the same blow, but there aren't any.

I haven't been around much lately because I haven't figured out how to deal with the loss we share..

Dad's are great people..not always nice to you or your buddy but if you're lucky you figure it out together.

It's a wonderful thing when you do..but then all to soon they have to go.

I want to tell you it will get better, but it's only a month for me and I haven't found that place yet.

I'm crying with you friend..!!

Stay strong, Doug.

Howdy
01-27-2014, 06:06 PM
Sorry to hear this Steve. If you need anything let me know. You know how to contact me!!
Howdy

fabiodriven
01-27-2014, 06:31 PM
Just lost my grandmother last week Steve. She was in her late 80's. Sure, I cried, but you really have remember they're in a better place now.

atc007
01-27-2014, 06:34 PM
So sorry to hear this Steve. When it rains,it pours. And you my friend have sure been through the ringer the last year. Even though it's been 14 months and 8 days " but who's counting lol"since I lost my Dad. I can say for me the pain doesn't go away,it just gets duller. Doug knows 1st hand what I'm talking about. You will never look at life the same again. Everything will LOOK different. God bless ya bud. You have my number if you need ANYTHING. Great advice btw,hug and TELL the ones you love. Tomorrow,,, in NO WAY,is guaranteed!!!!

atc007
01-27-2014, 06:36 PM
Just lost my grandmother last week Steve. She was in her late 80's. Sure, I cried, but you really have remember they're in a better place now.

Sorry to hear that Fabio. Damn,there is a lot of this going around... Take care .

blue27
01-27-2014, 06:53 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss Steve, I lost my Step Grandfather little over a month ago and he also was more to me then my real Grandfather, its hard to think about them and then relize(sp) they are gone. I guess in time it gets better. Hang in there!!!

bigdaddyvw185
01-27-2014, 07:24 PM
So sorry for your loss Dirtcrasher... He will be looking over you from a better place, May he rest in peace. My Condolences to you and your family.

kazander
01-27-2014, 07:41 PM
best wishes for you and your family from me and mine

El Camexican
01-27-2014, 07:50 PM
Reading what you said about having gone from hating him to realizing how well he treated you brought a tear to my eye. I’m so glad to see that you eventually saw him for the man he was as time passed. It tells me that he had a positive effect on your life and that you are now man enough to realize it. If for no other reason it shows that he served a good purpose on this Earth. May he rest in peace and may you and your Mom take comfort in his memory…

Dirtcrasher
01-27-2014, 08:44 PM
It was probably after I lost my wife that I said to Jim one day, "I am so sorry for what a teenage brat I was to you" and he said, "you don't have to tell me that, I know you were just a kid, I LOVE YA!!"

That weight was off my chest......

Jim was in the Army at the age of 16! He lied about his age. Then he served for the Air Force for 3 more years in the Korean War and he got frozen feet and hands. He had neuropathy from that which is like your feet are on fire; It was terrible for him to have his whole life......

Thank you all for your kind words, there's just something about the trike community that makes us seemingly special.

The wake and funeral are the next hurdle to jump as well as the mass he wished for in a catholic church.

And John, Very sorry to hear of your loss as well.

rray62
01-27-2014, 09:13 PM
Dude, I'm very sorry to hear about you loss!!!!! We'll keep you in our prayers!

RIDE-RED 250r
01-27-2014, 09:19 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss Steve... All the best and prayers your way.

jays375
01-27-2014, 09:27 PM
Right now just try to remember the good times.That's all you can do to make things easier.Lost my dad when I was seventeen.Still laugh and joke about some of the silly stuff he did.Worst thing you can do is hole up in your house.That won't work well for you.Spend time with family and friends.You got a lot of friends here.

Big Mike
01-27-2014, 10:23 PM
sorry to hear about your loss Steve.

petesatc
01-28-2014, 05:14 AM
Very sad to hear DC my heart is with you bro...i know what your going through, i lost my mom when i was 24 and the year after i lost my dad too...

atc300r
01-28-2014, 08:44 AM
Sorry for your loss .Will pray for you and your mom and stepdad. I also been through this 98 with my dad and 06 my older brother .

Vealmonkey
01-28-2014, 08:45 AM
Steve, I'm so sorry to hear this. Like you havent gone through enough. You've been a good friend and it pains me to hear of your loss. And to learn that my good friends Fabio and Bruce have had losses as well, I just don't know what to say. I don't have much good advice lately, but please hang in there. Enjoy all your good memories and live your lives as much as you can as your loved ones would have wanted you to do.

CRAZY70MAN
01-28-2014, 11:27 AM
Thoughts and prayers for you and your family Steve. Sorry for your loss.

whyzee
01-29-2014, 08:06 PM
Man , I am sorry DC. You have had a rough go of it lately. Hang in there . Its not easy to loose anyone ever. Glad you had him in your life and for a long time.

Scootertrash
01-29-2014, 08:31 PM
Sorry for your loss DC.
Condolences and prayers sent from Mrs. 'trash and myself

Dirtcrasher
02-05-2014, 07:26 PM
Thank you all. We got thru it. I was baptized but nothing else was forced upon me and my brother.

Jim, was a devote catholic. Although I usually don't participate, I did what I felt would make him and my mom proud. It's been a week of crying, talking and some fun moments to recall.

I did what I call the "bread and wine thing" out of respect for Jim. I was also a Pall Bearer and I held it together for my Mom at the wake. We knew he had health problems but this was shocking.

I swear that Veterinarians and Doctors (or the hospital itself) end up killing anything that goes through the door; We believe that's how he got Mercer or the "Staph" infection which was the last straw.........

I was holding my moms right hand and my brother held her left hand. The priest was amazing. I won't get too deep into it bur he basically said all we needed to do was "believe" and all mistakes will be forgiven; However, I know I'm good to people with little bouts of anger in me but I do like to help the elderly and say a warm hello to a stranger; It's not too hard to try to be a good person!!

I'm going to stay with mom 1 night a week for awhile so we can laugh or cry but this just brings us even closer.

Yep, this is a message board but we do have this forum to share with each other and I'm glad it's in place. Lots of very kind people here regardless of how it appears or is perceived in some replies.

I wish the best for all of you as my extended fellow riding buds. Just do the right thing! Thats whats most important, anything else can merely be brushed aside.

Thank you for all your well wishes........

Steve
DC