PDA

View Full Version : Need help with spark plug threads???

Nickmazz
01-27-2014, 07:02 PM
My atc 70 has spark plug threads which are about so completly go. They hold the plug in fine but the plug has some wiggle and wont tighten down.. Can i take some jb weld and put it on the threads in the head coat the plug in cooking oil then let set..... Not like the atc 70 has so much compression. So i think it will work. Any one else? Can help me.

trike savior
01-27-2014, 07:22 PM
that might work but i am a much bigger fan of using threaded inserts. I have seen a helicoil work as well but these are better. available at some hardware and auto part stores. i am sure napa still carries them. it is a hardened steel tube with threads on the outside to hold on to head and threads inside for plug. you drill and tap the plug hole larger. has a slot on each side so it can be threaded in with large screwdriver. once installed you stake the aluminum in those spots so it cannot move. they are a more permanent fix.

DohcBikes
01-27-2014, 08:15 PM
I agree with trike savior, a helicoil or timecert is the best way to do it. Its also best to take the head off to do it. If you don't have taps and stuff, maybe a used head is an option?

I don't think jb weld has a high enough heat rating to withstand cylinder temps, but honestly I don't think it would hurt it to try either.