PDA

View Full Version : Was given some 4 wheelers

TrailerRider
01-28-2014, 09:31 PM
*only have pics have not picked them up yet*

Black is a Kazuma by the looks and the red I cant really nail down from pics but kind of reminds me of the old Suzuki quads because of the seat but it is a china quad I am sure. By the looks the red one has the head or barrel off, the black one looks complete except for the plastics and the battery is kind of tossed in the frame and I cant tell exactly but maybe shaft driven? I cant see a chain anywhere and looks like a gear box kind of.

Anything worth using on the 3 wheelers as far as upgrades? Got to do some measuring but have an idea for the black one that may make my 90 more fun to ride.

Thoughts opinions?

Click for bigger..

MNhondaguy
01-29-2014, 01:31 AM
Put the biggest engine in the black one you possibly can. Instant fun. If y really wanna go crazy throw a cr125 in there. Or a cr85 would be sweet.

oscarmayer
01-29-2014, 04:59 PM
the black one is a Chinese taotao 110cc atv (maybe 125, but i doubt it.) it's suspension and metal are junk. (i raced many Chinese ATVs as my son is sponsored), unless you work directly with a manufacturer, any decent performance out fo them is very short lived and you can expect catastrophic failures to be frequent. If the 110 has a running engine and it works somewhat, it's about $65 shipped for a new body. get one, put it ont he bike, get it running and sell it for $200. then take that and sink it into something worth having. :)

slashfan7964
01-29-2014, 05:27 PM
the black one is a Chinese taotao 110cc atv (maybe 125, but i doubt it.) it's suspension and metal are junk. (i raced many Chinese ATVs as my son is sponsored), unless you work directly with a manufacturer, any decent performance out fo them is very short lived and you can expect catastrophic failures to be frequent. If the 110 has a running engine and it works somewhat, it's about $65 shipped for a new body. get one, put it ont he bike, get it running and sell it for $200. then take that and sink it into something worth having. :)

I agree with this, clean them up and make them nice and sell them. I wouldn't trust them for any "real" abuse. Normal light riding around the yard might be ok though.

Ghostv2
01-29-2014, 05:49 PM
I agree with this, clean them up and make them nice and sell them. I wouldn't trust them for any "real" abuse. Normal light riding around the yard might be ok though.
I dont know, i destroyed a couple doing light riding in my yard. Blew up one engine, snapped one axle, numerous batteries, tons of minor stuff snapping and falling off nearly every time. Horrible suspension and ground clearance.

MIK6
01-29-2014, 06:16 PM
I have a cheap 125 in a atc70 chassis. Its a BLAST to ride. If you got a 70 w a junk motor throw it in and enjoy!
the taotao 110 that is in the pict has a top mount starter w the carb out front. There is company that makes carb adaptors to rotate them.
Justben has a taotao 110 in one of his 70s, runs nice too!

id rather have a nitro or a built honda motor but cant beat FREE.. throw it in something, do a budget build, see how cheap you can go.. make something fun!

good luch w them!

TrailerRider
01-30-2014, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the tips guys :)

Got a little more info today that the red one ran before they got it (they never used it) and the black one is a runner but needs an exhaust. Hopefully most is somewhat accurate. So what parts of the frame are prone to breakage and whats the deal with the suspension being junk? I plan to get them running *if possible* and either sell them or keep them for the kids to ride around.

DickyDanger
01-30-2014, 10:57 PM
I don't know what kind of exhaust set up the black one is supposed to have but by the design of the motor it looks like you could make a Honda xr/crf 50 or xr/crf70 exhaust work for cheap

Ghostv2
01-30-2014, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the tips guys :)

Got a little more info today that the red one ran before they got it (they never used it) and the black one is a runner but needs an exhaust. Hopefully most is somewhat accurate. So what parts of the frame are prone to breakage and whats the deal with the suspension being junk? I plan to get them running *if possible* and either sell them or keep them for the kids to ride around.

Treat it like a go-kart, keep it in the yard. The kids will love it. When they eventually break down too far beyond repair you wont miss them because they will get their use out of it. Parts should be easy to get, these things are everywhere. I mean, tons of models but cant be too different. Plus they are cheap. I had a 125, 150 i think? Anyways, it was my first machine to MYSELF, I rode it in the yard all the time since i was too young to go out by myself. First took it out with my cousin up the road, blew the engine and popped the chain and just a mess. Got it fixed, went through a battery every season since they kept giving us cheap Chinese ones. Tires kept blowing out every time i hit a nice bump. It hit off of EVERY rock that stuck up more than an inch. I think everyone i have seen couldnt make it anywhere except the backyard (200cc and under). Then my brother got it because i got a dirtbike. My dad was on the trike, i was on my bike, my brother was on the quad and we finally hit the trail to go into the woods, go 200 yards and the wheel falls off. Axel snapped. We towed it home with the 200s, it sat until it got scrapped last year or so. Granted, this was when these things first started getting popular here. Maybe 2005?

The best experiences were in my backyard hitting a little jump and getting 3 inches of air, anywhere else and it was catastrophic failure. No bad luck with the frames though.

just ben
01-30-2014, 11:31 PM
Justben has a taotao 110 in one of his 70s, runs nice too!

no I don't lol. my beer hauler is a panterra 90. same basic engine though I'm sure.

Lord Letto 20
01-30-2014, 11:48 PM
Turn them into Trikes if you can......

TrailerRider
01-31-2014, 02:14 AM
Turn them into Trikes if you can......

That has crossed my mind :)

trike moto
01-31-2014, 08:17 AM
The red one is a Suzuki lt80. got any better pics of it

TrailerRider
01-31-2014, 12:05 PM
No I don't sorry. I will be getting them in about 2 weeks. That is soonest I can get up their to get them. I am wondering if they would be worth more as trikes or quads? If the red one is indeed a Suzuki I wont cut it up and make a trike out of it though. The black one now that's another story :)

czac
01-31-2014, 02:29 PM
I like the looks of the black one, make it into a trike and it will be bad ass! take the red one and lift it, really high with huge car tires on it and ride it in your towns parade! lol

joenovosel
02-01-2014, 12:41 AM
That red one looks like its going to have some steering/front end damage. Handlebars tilted left but wheels look straight to me....perfect threewheeler swap right there.

DohcBikes
02-01-2014, 12:56 AM
So what parts of the frame are prone to breakage and whats the deal with the suspension being junk?

When it comes to Chinese quads, every part on the frame is prone to breakage, and the deal is, the suspensions are,,,, well, junk.

Weak welds, bad springs, and"shocks" with no damping qualities whatsoever.

Toaster556
02-01-2014, 06:15 PM
When it comes to Chinese quads, every part on the frame is prone to breakage, and the deal is, the suspensions are,,,, well, junk.

Weak welds, bad springs, and"shocks" with no damping qualities whatsoever.
100% true for 95% of the china quads out there. I have two, a Taotao ATD125D, and a 07 Kazuma Falcon 150. The Taotao got rewelded, gussets everywhere, and about 20 extra lbs of "make it strong enough". It's slammed LOW and is strictly a flat track/ ice quad, and will stay that way.
However, the Kazuma has proven to be quite strong (wife broke off the front foot guard on a stump, I cracked the subframe riding like an insane person trying to find my dad and sister who hadn't returned to camp yet). It actually uses LT80 wheels and rear hubs, and I'm fairly sure the axle is similar. It may be a freak coincidence that it's so durable for a china quad, who knows? The shocks are all crap tho, I have 400ex shocks on the front and I'm not quite sure what the rear shock is, but it's better than stock. Still terrible design.

Trailrider, your china quad appears to have a shaft drive. You should make it into a mini 250SX!

TrailerRider
02-03-2014, 12:33 AM
100% true for 95% of the china quads out there. I have two, a Taotao ATD125D, and a 07 Kazuma Falcon 150. The Taotao got rewelded, gussets everywhere, and about 20 extra lbs of "make it strong enough". It's slammed LOW and is strictly a flat track/ ice quad, and will stay that way.
However, the Kazuma has proven to be quite strong (wife broke off the front foot guard on a stump, I cracked the subframe riding like an insane person trying to find my dad and sister who hadn't returned to camp yet). It actually uses LT80 wheels and rear hubs, and I'm fairly sure the axle is similar. It may be a freak coincidence that it's so durable for a china quad, who knows? The shocks are all crap tho, I have 400ex shocks on the front and I'm not quite sure what the rear shock is, but it's better than stock. Still terrible design.

Trailrider, your china quad appears to have a shaft drive. You should make it into a mini 250SX!

That's what it looks like to me as well. Do they make a shaft drive for those? Never seen one personally but then I have never owned a china quad either.

Toaster556
02-03-2014, 11:58 PM
I've seen and worked on a few shaftys, mostly the higher end stuff (well for china quads). They're an oddity, but take 90% of the same parts as a standard model (IIRC, the left crankcase and output shaft are the two main differences), so you could theoretically run a stroker crank and manual clutch kit if you so choose.
Looking at the frame and cross referencing with other pics, you could turn it into a trike with some work but nothing too crazy. The front end would require some figuring, but if you grab a cheap beat down pit bike, you can cut the frame and adapt it to the quad with some work.

slashfan7964
02-04-2014, 12:17 AM
I would just cut the front end off and put a small set of forks from an ATC on the front. The only thing you need to worry about is the rake angle, and that's easily corrected with some cutting and welding.

LT80
02-04-2014, 11:41 AM

I doubt it. The china stuff did have one that used very similiar plastic as a LT80.
I agree, a better pic of the motor would tell us. :)

slashfan7964
02-05-2014, 06:05 PM
The red one is indeed an LT80.

Here's an image I found off of Google.

http://www.dumontduneriders.com/invision/uploads/monthly_11_2011/post-736-0-09467800-1322613721.jpg

It appears there's a bit of rear fender damage (see the broken bolt holes for the extension) and the seats color is different but otherwise looks identical.

TrailerRider
03-24-2014, 01:23 AM
OK took delivery of the quads and to my surprise a 1977 Honda XL75. It needs a lot of work but for some reason it is just calling to me so I will be putting it back together, even my wife seen it and said babe we are not selling the bike.

The red one is indeed a 1988 Suzuki LT80. It is missing the starter, battery and the bottom section of the air box assembly (it covers the fly wheel?). The previous owners spray painted it red and the seat white (yes they sprayed painted the seat white). The Chinese quad is actually a Yamoto 110 3 speed with reverse. It is missing the exhaust, plastics, battery but I was able to put a little gas in the tank and after finding out it had a neutral safety switch the bike fired up (only for a few seconds then I shut it down). I will end of having more in the dirt bike then it will ever be worth :lol: I will post a pic of the dirt bike tomorrow when its light out.

TrailerRider
03-24-2014, 12:05 PM

I have the little plastics for the sides that say XL75 in the little bag hanging from the handle bar.

It needs carb, clutch cover, brake cables, throttle cables and twist throttle, top end (possibly), seat (going to use the current pan, rusty but solid), chain, rear sprocket (possibly).

It has compression but seems kind of low need to check the valve adjustment on it. Clutch seems to go into all gears easily. Tires are little worn but should be OK for easy use. Frame is in perfect condition, forks great, rear suspension good, tank good (little surface rust on inside but that is easy fix). Wiring harness is in fair condition (will need some minor repairs). Not worried about head/tail lights right now. Not sure if it has spark or not. Will probably check that stuff out this weekend and see what I need.

Is there anything from the 90atc that will fit is in regards to the electronics? I have an '84 90 that need to much work to get back to original and might rob some parts to get the bike running? Also I know we have a lot of manuals for the 3 wheelers but do we have any for this bike?

LT80
04-27-2014, 09:03 AM

It's a chinese clone of a LT80.

TrailerRider
05-21-2014, 04:42 PM
It's a chinese clone of a LT80.

It is actually a suz, it has vin plate and under the spray painted plastics is all the stickers correct motor etc. I lucked out for sure :)

LT80
06-06-2014, 09:56 AM
Sure did! :)
Let me know if you need any help with it. :)