PDA

View Full Version : New ATC-90 few questions on restoration

NJPCRX
01-29-2014, 12:30 PM
I just picked up an ATC-90 for free. It has a VIN number on the frame that puts it as a 74, but it has steel wheels? Is this common, or could it have been converted? Also it has the rubber/vinyl mudflaps that are toast from the sun. Do people commonly re-make them out of any certain material? I don't see them anywhere for sale, and they look like you could simply cut them out of a sheet of heavy duty vinyl or rubber. Is there anything else that can be easily fabricated to save a little money?

NJPCRX
01-31-2014, 08:32 PM
Nobody likes me or what? :cry: Can you swap the axles on the 74 and below with a 75 and up axle so you can use steel wheels? If so, I'm thinking this is what was done years ago. Or I have a super rare 74 with a 75 axle or something. The wheels are a funny greenish bronze color if that helps. The left side of the axle looks damaged and someone welded a piece of rebar on it or they were trying to weld something on it, so If I want to replace the axle what year do I buy it for? Also where can you get daytona orange paint?

afdfirefighter
01-31-2014, 09:14 PM
Hey man I have a 73 us90 and a ton of parts. If you are needing us parts I can deft get you what you need. PM me and we can exchange pics and maybe figure out what you have.

NJPCRX
02-01-2014, 06:29 PM
Its definitly a 74. Its daytona orange plastic front fender, fiberglass rear fenders with white mud flaps, and fixed foot pegs. It just has steel wheels. I will pm you and we can talk. I need a few things i guess.

Joseph Farrow
02-01-2014, 09:46 PM
Welcome, you are liked..... Just not much activity on here on the weekends.
Post the frame VIN. Also, someone could have very well swapped out the rear with the newer better set up. Post some Pic's. Sounds like a great bike.
Gotta like the 90/110's.

NJPCRX
02-02-2014, 02:06 AM
ok, so I think i figured out what happened. I think its an original axle, that someone took a random pair of rear wheels and drilled holes in them to mount the steel wheels to the original hubs. The front wheel looks like it was swapped correctly cause the actual lug nuts and rim holes line up. The rear axle was maybe broken and mended at one time, and the hubs looked tac welded on the axles. Someone liked to weld. So....now I'm gonna just buy a later axle and do it right. So I can buy a later 75+ axle but do I have to swap the carrier out? I have seen mixed opinions on this. Also, I read that the stock banchee hub will fit on an atc 90 stock axle, which is cool cause I have a set of banshee hubs. I realize I will need yamaha rims.

kb0nly
02-02-2014, 07:20 PM
The rear axle swaps between years, carrier stays the same. My 74 90 has a 75 axle and its wheels and tires also. Most of the time this was done to get rid of the balloon tires after they failed.

Mine was Daytona Orange as well but i resto-modded it with the later Honda Red and a set of plastic fenders off a 81 110. Mine had the fiberglass rear fenders and a busted up front orange fender when i got it.

NJPCRX
02-03-2014, 02:20 PM
ok, I bought a new axle on ebay. I don't know what kind of front axle is in it now but it works and has a 4 lug front wheel on it. I hope the axle comes out easily and I can swap my parts all over to it. If my banshee hubs fit, I will buy a used set of yamaha steel wheels for the back. If not, I'll buy some hubs for it on ebay too I guess.