PDA

View Full Version : Mounting tires on a Honda Big Red

AbnMike
01-29-2014, 01:39 PM
I recently purchased a Honda Big Red 200E. I was told it was a 1984 but apparently the serial number comes back as a 1982. I assume it is a mix of years as it has front shocks, but does not have the reverse. It has high and low and is chain, not shaft, driven.

I purchased a set of 25x12x9 tires as the other tires were about bald. I took them to a motorcycle shop to have them mounted and they said they couldn't get the bead set. They tried the strap around the tire trick and could get it to hold air for a bit but not set.

The size that i should have bought are 25 x 13 x 9.

Has anyone successfully mounted 25 x 12 x 9s? If so, how did you do it? They suggested taking them to an auto tire shop and trying to get them mounted there, which I haven't yet had time to do, but before I destroy these tires to the point where I can't send them back I'm wondering if it is even possible to mount these and maybe the shop just did it incorrectly?

tri again
01-29-2014, 02:49 PM
Not sure about the size but I do know that very few mere mortals can handle atc tires and wheels.
I use a regular used car shop.
They are such ego trippers that they'll just DO them somehow.
and 5 bucks each.
of course, a case of beer is often left behind with the tires and rims.

Are you sure the beads are clean?

and yes, they ARE kaRazy enough to use a spray can of unmentionable
to seat the beads, mythbuster style.
I honestly don't wanna know.

Actually, walmart used to do them for 5 bucks too but they don't want to admit it.

DasUberKraut
01-29-2014, 02:52 PM
Take a wire wheel to your beads. Make sure they are clean. Use plenty of soapy water. An air hog is the best way to set beads. But a combo of the air hog and ratchet strap may be required.

AbnMike
01-29-2014, 02:57 PM
Thanks - at least I know that this size -should- fit.

I'll clean the rims up and take them to a tire shop to try again.

fabiodriven
01-29-2014, 03:05 PM
As suggested, clean the beads on the rims. Spraying ether in and igniting it will seat the bead, but it's pretty dangerous and you can blow the tire right off the rim. Ask me how I know, haha.

MNhondaguy
01-30-2014, 02:12 AM
Wire wheel the rim, that'll help a lot. I use ether because its fun. I have 25-12.5-9 on my 200e. What I did for the ether process is clean rim, lube tires, tire spoon tires onto rim. Make sure to use new valve stem. I left valve core in on one tire, and out on the second. The first went really well so I suggest having it in. The tires are wider than the rim so I didn't want to have it sitting on the ground and shoot up when the ether is lit. My remedy was a foot long 4x4 to stand on end and place rim on it. It balanced pretty well. Once everything was set up, spray a quick bead of ether inside tire all the way around, and toss a match in. The spray around the tire was literally only a second long. I've seen people spray a tail out to the tread and us an LP torch to light tail. Poooomp, tires on.

The first one with core in popped on nicely and wasn't even warm to the touch. The second with core out took a few times to pop on, and when it did, the "explosion" inside created a vacuum and the tire sucked in, but stayed mounted. The tire was warm but was not damaged.

I learned from my mistakes and will use ether again as it is super easy and fast once you do it once. Hope I don't get made fun of but hey, I figured it out.

emmie357
01-30-2014, 07:48 AM
If the tires are wider then the rim (And I doubt the rim is 12+) they will go on.
They just need the right persuasion. I've had great luck with the strap trick myself.

As suggested, make sure the bead is clean, I usually use a little dish soap to help the bead slide into place.

jayjay05stsc
01-30-2014, 07:15 PM
Ether ...quick,fun,easy......might take a couple times to get to seat

Larry T Moore
01-30-2014, 07:21 PM
ive done the ether trick....really funny when the tire flys up in the air an ya wonder where yer eyebrows went

McIII
01-30-2014, 07:39 PM
Count me as a NO on the either trick.

Chopsaw
01-30-2014, 09:57 PM
,,, No either . Cant believe you took it to a shop and they cant get it to seat ,, or they wont do it ? I have had to take them way past the recommended psi to get it to pop . NOT suggesting you do that . I used to do it for a living . Take it to a regular tire shop if you cant get it .

jb2wheels
01-31-2014, 01:20 AM
It's hard to get enough air in the tire fast enough to set the bead.

I have a clip on tire chuck I modified to flow air all the time.

I use a 1/4 turn ball valve to control airflow.

I cheat and use silicon on the beads because I've had issues with beads leaking on the old rims. Lubes them up so they slide on easier then helps to seal the bead (and glue the bead on in the case of putting late model tires on early split rims with no bead retaining lip)

Remove valve core, clip on the chuck, open the valve, bounce and squeeze the tire tread until the bead starts to take and watch it fill up.

Usually takes a couple of tries because I'm a wimp and don't want to pop or stretch the tire.

Sometimes I need a strap or two around the tread to help squeeze.

I have not done this with 25xXXx9 tires. I've done it with 23.5 fronts, 22x11x8, 16x8x7, 20x10x9, etc.