PDA

View Full Version : SE weather / storm?

tri again
01-29-2014, 04:01 PM
Birmingham, Atlanta etc?

Am I watching cartoons or is this really real?

Miles of cars with people sleeping in them on the freeways/interstate hiways.

They just said 'warm up by the end of the week"... and people make fun of all the ( ) I have in my truck jump seat.
Food, clothes, blankets.
Liquid water only in case it freezes and leaks. Better than cleaning soda pop in the spring.

How, and I mean HOW did so many people get blindsided by this?
Parents leaving kids at school overnight, sleeping in cars on the interstate for MILES!

..or it's not true and the weather channel is just showboating for ratings.

atc007
01-29-2014, 04:46 PM
We humans are something else lol. We truly are. Where I live ,and I guess I've been through this before. We USED to get 8-12 ?? Feet of snow a year,it was almost without fail 20 - 30 days straigt this time of year without reaching 32 degrees. And nowadays, people bawl and whine and complain they want to be somewhere baking like a frigging lobster somewhere.??? And how COLD and nasty of a winter this is?? Ahh,no. this has been a snowless,mild winter here. Anyhow, My Wife lived in NC for a cpl years. She said if it FLURRIED. Literally a flurry. NO SNOW anywhere laying. Schools,base,everything was closed!! Locals would ask her to drive them home etc.. I'm with you, I'm completely disconnected from the world. but ,,I,, knew about the storm! I would THINK they would have been prepared. I haven't seen what you're talking about but it happens lol.. Maybe we'll turn the tv on tonight,,,,nahh,,guess not lol.

kb0nly
01-29-2014, 07:49 PM
The images on all the newscasts is something funny to see for sure. I will say this though, if it was just the 1-3 inches of snow people were talking about at first then i would be pretty hard on them... But they got ICE, and lots of ICE... They got like an inch of solid ice from freezing rain, even that will bring us to a standstill up here in the great white north. Sure a lot of us are equipped with tire chains and 4wd, but watching the video from down there i saw SUV's with 4wd and all four wheels spinning without any progress.

250r'en +TCB
01-30-2014, 12:50 PM
It is pretty comical for us northerns.

But the reason these southern states and cities get crippled by winter storms is because they have zero infrastructure to deal with it. There's no plows or salt trucks.

Last winter I was in VA beach for military training and they got about 2 inches of snow and everything shut down, people were crashing all over the place even though it is perfectly flat in that area, no hills to be seen. But without the roads getting any salt, all that packed snow turned to glare ice. I had my 4WD Ranger down there but it was not safe for me on the road either. You literally had no traction whatsoever. trailpro

On the funny side, I saw a news clip that showed people sleeping in a Home Depot for the night because they could not get home! HAHAHAHA They were in the lumber section using the wood as beds!

Seeing all this, it's really no wonder us northerns won the civil war :lol: