PDA

View Full Version : Honda 125 won't start

Mattc333
01-30-2014, 05:10 PM
I have a Honda 125 that won't start. I have took the carb apart and cleaned it but still won't pull start. I troed roll starting it and it won't work either I have also tried putting it in 1 high and pulled it behind a truck. It reins as long as I'm being pulled but when the truck stops it cuts off and won't run. Please help I don't know what to do this is my first trike and I would like to get or running. PLEAsE HELp!!!!!!

sp8twn
01-30-2014, 05:21 PM
any gas in it?
any spark?
I would start there!!

trike savior
01-30-2014, 05:30 PM
those would be the 2 main things it needs besides compression. is something wrong with the electric starter. try taking jumper cables from vehicle battery (engine not running) put negative on starter case and touch positive to post on starter with wire going to it. at least that way you know if starter works and you can use it to get bike running instead of your arm.

have the airbox cover off when trying to start. I have had a bad float richen things up too much for it to start with lid on. try shooting some ether (starting fluid) at it.

what is the background story on the trike. just buy it? been sitting?

Mattc333
01-30-2014, 07:34 PM
Yes it is getting spark and it has gas. But it had gas in it when I got it 2 days ago. Maybe the put bad gas in it? Could that be the problem?

Mattc333
01-30-2014, 07:39 PM
It doesn't have an electric start or I was going to by pas by hooking jumper cables to the solenoid and battery. All it has is Pull start. Idk how old it s or anything I just got a couple days ago.

trike savior
01-30-2014, 07:55 PM
all 125's had electric start. someone probably put 125 plastics on a 110. one could swap a few engine cases to remove starter but more than likely the plastic swap. the way to know for sure is look on the outside of the cylinder jug on motor. should have cylinder size stamped on it. if I remember correct 108cc=110 and 123cc=125.

if you know you have spark I would try spraying a little ether at it just to see what happens. if that still does not do it, you more than likely have engine issues and need to do a compression test.

Mattc333
01-31-2014, 05:17 PM
I couldn't find any number on the motor. But I believe your right it probably is a 110 because there's no spot for a starter or battery. The only reason I thought it was a 125 because the guy I bought it from said it Was.

muthey
01-31-2014, 07:05 PM
not all 125's had electric start, which means it's not a 125m it's just a 125. My older brother in 1990 had a 125 that was pull start only, easiest way to check is look at the back of the cylinder and look for the number with a cm3 behind it should be down by the bottom. I would replace the spark plug then go back into the carb again. this time pull everything out of it and clean individual parts, with a thin but firm piece of wire like a strand from a piece of 12 or 10 ga. wire, also check out this diagram while in there to make sure everything is right. when you go to pull the air mix screw count how many turns in first then remove it, it should be 1 1/2 to 2 turns out from bottomed. http://www.hondapartshouse.net/oemparts/a/hon/506f8c54f8700229747b9569/carburetor Good luck and keep us informed.

tri again
02-01-2014, 02:08 PM
you say you have spark?
There may be a mechanical advance behine the cover on the head that says 'cdi'.
that got stuck.
Gas, these days, has about the same shelf life as milk.

Wish you could ride too, especially with that cool weather you have.
Try the search key for tons of info in one click.

Does it have compression?

Mattc333
02-01-2014, 04:10 PM
What kind of spark plug does it need?

Mattc333
02-01-2014, 04:36 PM
Is there supposed to be gas coming out of bronze opening inside the carb below the choke flap. Sorry I don't know all the technical terms for stuff.

atc007
02-01-2014, 07:14 PM
Every 125 ever produced DID have electric start. Again,not all that uncommon to find a 110 w 125 plastics on it. You need to drain all of the gas out of it. Make sure you tank is clean and dried out. Clean your carb again,paying good attention to the pilot jet,the smaller one with a slot in it to remove it. No,gas shouldn't be leaking anywhere lol. Put in a NEW spark plug. Not a cleaned one. A NEW one,and she should run . Then change your oil,clean and oil your air filter,lube and adjust ALL pivot points and cables. And You'll have a blast. If it doesn't run after the fuel and plug. Your intake valve is probably tight and needs adjusted. Not sure you should be doing that yet lol. Like Tri said,there is a mechanical advancer that could be rusted up,or need adjusting. Hopefully the usual suspects will have you running.