PDA

View Full Version : my three wheeler idles high with the choke off?

moosepaco
02-03-2014, 09:07 AM
My 200x has a 200s engine. It was not idling at all so I cleaned the carbs. Then it would start but shoot flames out the exhaust when I make high rpm. Then stopped running. Changed spark plug theb had it running again but idles very high with the choke off. When the choke is on it idles normal. Tryed to fire it up yesterday and she wont start again. I noticed the top part of engine where valves are is sealed with silicone and leaking a very small amoint of oil. Would that be my problem?

shortline10
02-03-2014, 09:22 AM
Oil leak will have nothing to do with your issue but my crystal ball is saying you still have carb issues or intake manifold leaking from the seals or a crack in the rubber .

webbch
02-03-2014, 03:34 PM
Has it ever run well? The idle speed is easily adjusted by the screw on the side of the carb, but I'm guessing that's not your main issue.

Basic checks to perform before pulling out your hair:
1) Is timing set properly? Timing light should illuminate on the F mark on the stator when idle is set at 1300 RPM. You may have to adjust the idle speed down to do this test. And since it's not idling well, you may need to keep close watch on the RPM to catch it at 1300. If off significantly, open CDI cover and loosen and rotate the pulse generator to correct. Now would be a good time to verify the pulse generator-to-rotor gap is set correctly as well. If you can't correct the timing by adjusting the pulse generator position, the timing chain is way off - perhaps skipped a tooth. You'll have to remove the CDI housing and adjust the timing chain per the manual to fix.
2) Is timing chain tension set properly? On the top of the crankcase, covered by a rubber cap is a retaining nut and bolt. Remove the bolt, loosen the retaining nut. Insert an M3 x 0.5 x 50mm screw into the hole screw it in a few turns. Then use it to adjust the timing chain tension by pulling up/down. Pulling up tightens the timing chain.
3) Is the timing advance mechanism working properly? Open the CDI cover and make sure you can turn the mechansim and that it's not stuck.
4) Did you set the float level on the carb? It can get mis-adjusted if you bump it real good by accident when cleaning the carb.
5) Did you adjust the pilot screw? Nominal position is 2-1/4 turns out I believe. More than 2 turns off in any direction suggests you need a different size pilot jet, but don't mess with jetting until everything else is resolved and/or checked out.

barnett468
02-03-2014, 04:44 PM
some things that cause flames out the pipe are, excessive fuel, leaking exhausat valve, ex valve adjustment too tight.

does it have the orig carb?

if not what is it?

if you are uncertain you can look at the dide of the carb and post ant bumbers/letters you see. they will be very small.

kb0nly
02-03-2014, 04:45 PM
If it runs better with the choke on then general rule of thumb is she is running lean without the choke on, the choke just limits airflow so the engine gets a richer mixture.

Since you had the carb off i would suspect that the o-ring on the front of the carb isn't sealing to the intake and you have an air leak, if you took the intake off the head then that o-ring could be leaking to. They harden with age and don't always seal back up after taking them apart and putting back, been there done that a few times. You can take the o-ring off and go to your local auto parts store, if they know their stuff they will have a nice assortment box of o-rings. I like to get the green high temp o-ring thats a little thicker for the head to intake seal, the carb to intake a standard temp black o-ring works fine, but just get what you can and try that as its a good first step.

If replacing those o-rings doesn't help i usually take my propane torch, NOT LIT, and crack the valve on the torch just a smidge to get a little gas flowing then go around the intake to see if the engine speed changes, then i know i have a crack and/or leak. You could also have a mixture screw problem since you took it apart.

barnett468
02-03-2014, 04:46 PM
POST CORRECTION

if you are uncertain you can look at the dide of the carb and post ant bumbers/letters you see.

should be

if you are uncertain, you can look at the side of the carb and post any numbers/letters you see.

I have no edit button.

Atc_200xman
02-09-2014, 09:51 PM
What are you running for a carb. Auto x are tricky. You are leaking between the carb and the manifold. Get a can of either and spray the manifold while it is running. If it is leaking it will rev up. Good luck