PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting clutches on 83 YTM200k?

Bucksmith02
02-03-2014, 05:33 PM
I think this may be an issue on my trike. When you mash the gas, it doesn't go quickly unless you mash it in down kinda like when you start in too high of a gear. Ive done some searching but haven't found much on it.

dougspcs
02-03-2014, 05:56 PM
Slipping clutches..many threads on this.

Three possible causes..

1/ improper adjustment..lots of sources online for the service manual. pretty simple and a quick verification before you move onto the next possible..

2/ improper oil..also a thread or 2 on this subject but in short, back in the day any oil was ok. But modern car oils have a lot of friction modifiers and additives that reduce friction and since our trikes have oil bathed clutches this is a bad thing. The reduced friction causes clutch slippage and damage. A proper ATV/Motorcycle oil that lists suitable for 'wet-clutch' use is best. You want a good lubricant with just the right amount of friction to make the clutches grab. If you have the wrong stuff in the engine give it a change to the right stuff and then ride a while to let the new oil work thru.

If still the same onto #3..

3/ time to pull the side cover and replace some clutches..two packs in these machines. Your centrifugal and your secondary..1st one is responsible for 'from stop' engagement and if your slipping is from stop then that is your most likely suspect. The secondary are the ones that engage and disengage as you shift thru the gears..if they are worn the usual complaint is slipping while moving and under load, moreso in the higher gears.

Hope this give you some place to start..

Bucksmith02
02-04-2014, 12:14 PM
Thanks and I searched on Google a lot but didn't find a ton but that might have been bc I was on my phone then. I have a FSM I downloaded but I wasn't sure on whether I was on the right track or not. Ill check it out, probably the oil though since it has just had whatever was handy at the time put in there bc it leaks a little from the bottom.

Ytm_225dx
02-04-2014, 12:33 PM
I use bel ray 20-50 cuz the trike calls for 20-40 and I had the same problem with mine your first clutch which is the centrifugal clutch should rarely go bad. I had to replace my clutch plates in side the clutch basket which is your 2nd clutch and new plates aren't that much I hope this helps if not let me know and I'll see what else I think of

emmie357
02-04-2014, 09:32 PM
When you press the gear shifter up/down the clutch should disengage, if it's over tightened the clutch will be like it's always pulled in a little, try the clutch adjuster first:

To the left of the clutch housing is a nut on a bolt coming out of the engine case.
The nut locks the adjuster in place. Loosen it, and use a flathead on the adjuster (there is a slot in the end of the bolt).
Turn it counterclockwise until you feel resistance, then back it out 1/8 of a turn and tighten the lock nut back down.
(per the manual)

That may fix it without pulling the clutch cover off. Also, make sure your oil is safe for use with wet clutches.

dougspcs
02-04-2014, 11:07 PM
When you press the gear shifter up/down the clutch should engage.

You mean disengage right??

I use bel ray 20-50 cuz the trike calls for 20-40 and I had the same problem with mine your first clutch which is the centrifugal clutch should rarely go bad. I had to replace my clutch plates in side the clutch basket which is your 2nd clutch and new plates aren't that much I hope this helps if not let me know and I'll see what else I think of

Best to recheck your manual..10w40 is the recommended not 20w40. You could likely sneak by with 20w50 in the heat of summer..but with the winter temps we've had this year 20w50 would be thick like syrup. Sticking with what the manual recommends would be best!!

2nd..the centrifugal clutch is the one that goes bad most commonly on the Yamaha trikes. It's the one that does the most work..

emmie357
02-05-2014, 10:25 AM
You mean disengage right??

Best to recheck your manual..10w40 is the recommended not 20w40. You could likely sneak by with 20w50 in the heat of summer..but with the winter temps we've had this year 20w50 would be thick like syrup. Sticking with what the manual recommends would be best!!

2nd..the centrifugal clutch is the one that goes bad most commonly on the Yamaha trikes. It's the one that does the most work..

Yes, I meant disengage... brain fart

20w40 is the recommended for my YTM200 too, I've been using rotella 15w40 based on others recommendations... no issues yet.
Edit: I should add, the 20w40 recommendation is from the Clymer manual, that manual covers the YTM200, 200e, and 225 (as well as some of the YFM's)

Bucksmith02
02-05-2014, 10:43 AM
Yeah I read last night in the manual about the adjuster by the case and im gonna check it out as soon as I get this dumb chain fixed(kept coming off and finally broke the master link)

dougspcs
02-05-2014, 03:17 PM
Sorry guys, I stand corrected..20w40 is listed for the Yamahas.

Must admit I probably made an assumption that they were the same as the Hondas..

We all know what "assume" means!!! ;) My bad..