PDA

View Full Version : Atc 185s/200 problem, any body wanna help?

Dsawyer
02-03-2014, 10:23 PM
I am rebuilding a 1983 atc 200 and I want working rear brakes because I like to go fast. Basically, the cam in the rear brake drum is seized up completely. Any suggestions as to loosening it up? I don't want to have to buy a new carrier or have to drill it out, I'm saving that for a last resort. So far, I've tried tapping and hitting it with a hammer while simultaneously trying to twist it with a crescent wrench, I've doused it in wd-40, anything else y'all could recommend? Anything at all? I cannot take pictures at the moment because I keep it at my grandpas house, so, any takers?

shortline10
02-03-2014, 11:08 PM
Heat !!!!!!

Dsawyer
02-03-2014, 11:13 PM
Yeah, I was considering that, but it was a little unsure about it, this bike is going to see mud and water, and I want to make sure it keeps a good seal so I was worried about warpage, I think I am going to try any way, thanks! I'm still open to other suggestions though incase anyone wants to chime in.

kb0nly
02-03-2014, 11:32 PM
PB Blaster and a torch... About the only thing you can do at this point.

Larry T Moore
02-04-2014, 03:58 PM
the same thing was froze on my 85 250sx when I bought it...i sprayed it off and on for a couple of days..the I put a block of wood against it and smacked with a mini sledge...it shot out...and heat cant hurt

Dsawyer
02-04-2014, 05:44 PM
Alright thanks guys! I'll try and see what i can do, hopefully it will work. Fingers crossed

Dsawyer
02-08-2014, 07:28 PM
Currently working on it, the torch is slowly working, but I don't mind how long it is taking, because it is surely working, I just have to heat, hammer, repeat!

Dsawyer
02-08-2014, 08:18 PM
Alright guys, it's turning about 45 degrees now, but I'm trying to slide it out by hammering it, and it won't come out, are there any pins, retainers, or other obstacles that may be keeping it from sliding out?

atc007
02-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Nothing holding it in but rust :(. You're probably gonna need a new cam by the time you get it beat out. But you have no other choice. If you have a miracle and save it. Watch the timing marks going back together. AYou nother great option is freeze off. Tough

Dsawyer
02-08-2014, 09:14 PM
Ok thanks, it's pretty rusted, I'd rather buy an easily available cam than have to buy a carrier, I've looked and it gets pricey... I'll see what I can do.

Dsawyer
02-10-2014, 12:21 AM
I finally got it out earlier this morning and it looks salvageable, no scratches or gouges in the shaft so I assume it will work just fine, thanks for your help guys, and I'll be sure to put some anti seize on it for sure! Lol