PDA

View Full Version : Help me real quick tecate guys please

Ytm_225dx
02-04-2014, 12:54 PM
Ok so there is a guy I know he has a tecate 3 for sale but it doesn't run it has good compression. He is sayin that the stator and the flywheel might not be matching up right but also he said the engine is timed backwards? Said it ran once but let the clutch out and it went in reverse? Is this true if so should I buy cuz it is super nice looking and the motor looks good

jeswinehart
02-04-2014, 01:27 PM
Sound like to me magnets in fly wheel have been removed and put back in wrong.

MIK6
02-04-2014, 01:30 PM
Swinhart knows tecate flywheel!!

a few years back Howdy had a 2nd gen T3 that ran in reverse as well.. ive heard of 4 or 5 over the years..

emmie357
02-05-2014, 11:00 AM
How does that even happen? Is the timing off to the point that it's firing on the up stroke, causing that to be a down stroke and the engine to run backwards?

just ben
02-05-2014, 12:12 PM
It happens when the timing is off and the engine kicks back and fires when it does. Most 2stokes will run just fine backwards. I had an old snowmobile when I was a kid that I would wrap the rope backwards on the starter cup to go in reverse.

wonderboy
02-05-2014, 12:34 PM
Interestingly enough, running the engine backwards is how many modern sleds give you reverse, you press a button, the engine slows, hiccups, and then runs backwards. Back out of your spot, let go of the reverse button, hiccup, now the engine is runing forward again. It's all in the spark timing. Like was already said, a two stroke will run just fine backwards if the spark timing is adjusted.

barnett468
02-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Ok so there is a guy I know he has a tecate 3 for sale but it doesn't run it has good compression. He is sayin that the stator and the flywheel might not be matching up right but also he said the engine is timed backwards? Said it ran once but let the clutch out and it went in reverse? Is this true if so should I buy cuz it is super nice looking and the motor looks goodI would suggest you base your decision on what you can see and don't worry about it running backwards as others have mentioned. worse case scenario is you need a new stator. ricky stator sells them. expect that the clutch might slip or it might pop out of gear from worn gears and calculate how much more than the asking price it's worth to you. its a 30 yearn old dirt bike, its not like its been pampered. if you can not ride it i would not assume everything will work perfectly. clean tecates are rare hard to find though.

jb2wheels
02-05-2014, 01:23 PM
If you get it, have jeswinehart rebuild the flywheel (he does a great job at a great price) and put a new set of stator coils on it for $40 from Ricky Stator.