PDA

View Full Version : exhaust probs

flyin flea
02-08-2014, 03:26 PM
hi all im over in the uk and have got my hands on a eddie sanders 430 power valve engine which used to be fitted in a trx quad i have now put it in my honda trike the problem i have got is the exhaust that came with it is for a quad and obviously wont fit cos of the front wheel i have ran it with my fmf fatty pipe but exhaust temps were way to high and melted piston on exhaust side luckily i got away with putting new piston and rings in but dont want to use it again until i have sorted exhaust can any one shed any light were to get one from i have emailed eddie sanders but had no reply thanks:wondering

barnett468
02-08-2014, 09:45 PM
Hello Flyin Flea;

In theory [sort of], with proper ignition timing, compression, spark plug, jetting, good oil and proper oil/gas ratio can run your existing fatty pipe with no piston melting problem, however, obviously, the power will not be optimal.

If he does not make one for your app [which I doubt] one option is to have one custom made. This costs around $400.00 - $600.00 in the US. See link below.

http://rpmmfg.com/performance.aspx

One prob you might incur is the size of the pipe. The 430 will require a pipe that is physically larger than the 250 one and there is barely enough room for the orig 250 one. The new pipe might get in your way a bit.

There is a thread on here called “Putting things where they ought not to be”. You could put a 750 twin in there etc., but unless you have room for proper exhaust and sufficient cooling, and still have room to maneuver comfortably on the bike, I don't see the point in doing so.

How did it run?

How many hours did it run?

Under what condition did the piston hurl, ie., wide open throttle under load, such as going up a hill or just cruising?

Did you ever hear ANY engine pinging?

What oil do you use?

What ratio do you run?

What octane gas are you using?

What is the heat range of your plug?

Did you do a compression test?

If you want to run that pipe you can do the following. There might be other options also.

1. Increase the inside diameter of the stinger by around 3 – 4 mm. 6 mm max. The id. of the silencer needs to be increased as well. This will lower exhaust gas temp and might reduce peak rpm slightly. It might also increase bottom end slightly, as if you need more of that, lol. Make sure once the existing stinger is removed, that the exit hole in the pipe is as large as the id. of the new stinger. You might have to cut off a few mm of the last cone to get the correct id..

2. The stock 250 runs an 8 plug, I would run a 9.

3. If it has adjustable ignition timing, try reducing it a few degrees if it is advanced 4 degrees or more than stock.

4. Depending a little on the oil brand/type, increase oil/gas ratio if gas is more than around 32 parts to 1 part oil, especially if you run wide open throttle often.

5. Re-jet slightly rich after changing oil/gas ratio is changed if it is.

6. If you are running the equivalent of around 100 octane by the US rating or less, AND your compression is around 200 psi or more, I would lower the compression slightly and/or increase the octane rating of the gas. E85 is around 105 octane otherwise race gas might be needed if you don’t E85.

7. Do a plug color test to aid in determining the best jetting.

If the capacity of your cooling system is insufficient, this will also contribute to the engine running hotter than it normally would.

RIDE-RED 250r
02-09-2014, 11:15 AM
Melting the exhaust side of the piston is usually indicative of a lean condition, and very unlikely to have been caused simply by the pipe used.

That 430 is going to need lots of fuel. I would suggest starting at least with a 205, maybe 210 main jet if you are running a Keihin carb. Probably around 58-60 with the pilot jet should have you safely rich on the low side.

Barnett is right that you should be able to dial it in and run your pipe without issues, but probably won't be the best pipe for that big bore.

ESR makes the ATC5 pipe and would be better suited to your 430 than the FMF. There are others as well but I don't have first hand experience with them.

Usually, you will have better luck calling ESR directly rather than email. I would call them and see about getting an ESR ATC5 pipe with silencer and some baseline jetting recommendations from them.