PDA

View Full Version : 200x hit or miss

honda elliott
02-08-2014, 10:31 PM
So I just picked up this 200x and it is killing me when I got it had been sitting for a while in a shed for a while not sure how long. So first thing I did was check the spark good spark not great but good. Next was compression 4 kicks and I had 110 with out holding the throttle open seemed good to me. So I gave it a few kicks and it sputtered so I gave it a shot of carb cleaner fired right up and ran pretty good. So I decided to clean the carb and change the oil let it sit for 2 days draining put the carb back on put oil in it 2 kick fired right up. So here is the issue sometimes it will fire right up then others it just wont start but go back a little latter and presto it runs any thoughts on why. thanks guys.

fabiodriven
02-08-2014, 11:51 PM
I thought you were going to put a hit or miss engine in a 200X. In that case I would offer my full support and enthusiasm.

manbearpig
02-09-2014, 12:22 AM
thats what i was thinking too fabs.

clean the carb again kiddo

shortline10
02-09-2014, 07:23 AM
Sounds like your spark plug is wet fouling . Try a new plug . Sometimes just a carb cleaning isn't good enough , buy a carb kit .

honda elliott
02-09-2014, 09:49 AM
why buy a carb rebuild kit when an aftermarket carb is only 9 dollars more. But still I dont think that is the issue.

shortline10
02-09-2014, 04:58 PM
Those china sand cast carbs are JUNK .

why buy a carb rebuild kit when an aftermarket carb is only 9 dollars more. But still I dont think that is the issue.

barnett468
02-09-2014, 06:54 PM
compression test shpuld be done eith the throttle wide open and ideally with the float bowl empty.

gauges different up to 20 lbs in accuracy.

110 is extremely low.

do it again then add half a cap of heavy engine oil and see if it goes up at all.

Atc_200xman
02-09-2014, 06:59 PM

I have found that after market carbs are hit and miss. Bought one and it leaked. 10.25 to 1 wisco will help tremendously.

DohcBikes
02-09-2014, 11:19 PM
110 is low. Open the throttle and check again.

honda elliott
02-15-2014, 08:40 PM
I will try it again but 110 is with the throttle closed keep that in mind.

tri again
02-15-2014, 09:12 PM
I've got one like that.
Very annoying and super UN dependable.
Heat related? Hard starting when warm or just when it feels like.
I'd check for mouse modifications, wires and connections. they'll plug a muffler too.
Engine full o' Nutshells on 2 stroke (American Restoration, disc channel)
I mean, yeah, low comp, but if it runs, I'd run it, if for no reason, to get a lil' revenge and make sure it has all the gears before going too far.$wise.
Can you click on:
service manual
?
ohm the stator and coil etc.
Does it have spark when it won't start?
Clean fuel flow and good new gas?
I use a small lawnmower tank when fuel system is suspect and bypass all that heartache.

They are as fun as they are frustrating.
Sometimes it's just process of elimination.
You'll get it.
We always do.

kb0nly
02-15-2014, 10:48 PM
Those china sand cast carbs are JUNK .

I have had far better luck with those aftermarket Chinese carbs then worn out 30 year old OEM's.... LOL

shortline10
02-16-2014, 08:04 AM
I've used the china carbs as a last resort but would much rather buy a good used OEM carb and rebuild it .
Its much different when its your own personal bike but if I have to install one of those china carbs on a customers bike and try and figure out all the little hiccups and crazy jet sizes its not worth it .

I have had far better luck with those aftermarket Chinese carbs then worn out 30 year old OEM's.... LOL

honda elliott
02-16-2014, 08:41 PM
So got it running today doing some tinkering with it Should I hold the throttle open for the compression test or closed I ask because with my rancher it is supposed to be closed and that is around 120 last time I did the 200 it was a cold motor with the throttle closed.

barnett468
02-16-2014, 09:54 PM
throttle wide open, gas off and floatbowl preferrably drained but not necesaary.

what brand is your gauge? they can vary up to 20 psi.

what EXACTLY is a "Rancher"?

NEVER HEARD OF A COMPRESSION TEST BEING DONE WITH THE THROTTLE CLOSED.

kazander
02-17-2014, 10:16 AM
on a compression test it just makes sense that the throttle needs to be open so that the engine can get air into it to compress. right or wrong?