PDA

View Full Version : 250sx shifting issues

Atc_200xman
02-09-2014, 09:33 PM
Hi there. Got a 250sx that has shifting issues. When I shift into reverse then back to neutral to 1st gear it sticks and won't go into 1st. You have to wait about 20 seconds then it shifts fine. Then from 1st to 2nd it does the same thing. Then from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th no issues but 4th to 5th sticks again. When I say sticks it's like you have 5 gears and you are in 5th and you try to shift again and nothing happens. Thoughts and advice on what it could be and how to fix it would be appreciated.

jeswinehart
02-09-2014, 09:53 PM
Hi Joe.
The most common ailment is the shifting linkage hook up just inside the left cover. I have had issues with the linkage on Bigreds over the years.
A fairly simple fix even if parts are needed.
Here is a humorous but accurate read that may interest you.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/146325-1985-250-sx-shift-linkage-(internal)?highlight=es+sx+shifter+problem

john

Atc_200xman
02-09-2014, 11:39 PM
Ok I got to thinking and talked to a few people and they said it could be clutch, bent shift shaft, bent or worn shift fork,to thick of oil or not enoughf oil. Got a gasket set coming soon so I'll be tearing into it soon.

Chopsaw
02-10-2014, 12:14 AM
Just gonna throw this in ,,, make sure the shift lever has a positive connection on the shift shaft . I had to remove mine , clean the splines and under cut the pinch point . Worked great after that . Might not be your trouble , but pays to start simple sometimes .