PDA

View Full Version : Hey Guys! 200X Front Brake problem...What do you think??

ATC90JAY
02-09-2014, 11:41 PM
I just took the forks off and installed new boots...I changed the front brake pads since I had it apart...Now the brake is limp and I get fluid when I try to bleed but just no brake pressure...What should I look for they worked perfect before I changed the pads???

yaegerb
02-10-2014, 01:35 AM
The 200x front and rear brakes are one of the harder brakes to bleed of most ATC models. I assume to remove the brake pads you compressed the piston with a C-clamp? I would imagine you have a bunch of air in your line...which is hard as hell to get back out of that system. The last one I did took so long with conventional bleeding I ran down to autozone and bought a mityvac bleeder kit and it paid for itself instantly. If you don't want to fork the dinero over a mityvac another way to bleed the system is to reverse bleed. This is done by using a large medical syringe and forcing fluid through the bleeding nipple on the caliper back into the brake fluid reservoir. If you would rather do it the old fashion way, it can be done but will take some patience. Try rocking the ATC bike and forth to where the bars are almost touching the ground (side to side). Bottom line, I would invest in a mityvac kit....well worth the money.

Another avenue is to perform the maintenance item I always do when acquiring a new ATC (especially the 200x) which is to rebuild the front and rear masters. The kit for the 200x is about 15 bucks and takes about 15 minutes to install.

Best of luck.

dmfaulks85
02-10-2014, 01:57 AM
Yep, sounds like you have air in the line, fill the resivior, open up the bleeder and just let it run till the air bubbles stop coming out. It might take a little while but you don't have to buy a bleeder kit.

ATC90JAY
02-10-2014, 02:06 AM
That worked and I also put 4 inches of clear line on the bleeder...I have pressure and brakes are working but now my tire is hard to spin???

atc007
02-10-2014, 08:48 AM
I don't own a mityvac,but probably will someday. But ,bleeding ANY of these brakes that are stubborn,2,3,or 4 wheels. Starts at the master. Bleed at the 12mm bolt that holds the line on. Bleed there. Then ,bleed the 12 that holds the line on the caliper,a lot. Then,finally,bleed at your bleeder . You most often can't just start there! As far as your tire being hard to turn. You'll have to clean the hole in your master cylinder. That is more than likely your problem on a 200X. Also make sure your slider pins are clean,greased and have good boots.