PDA

View Full Version : Help needed on 94 polaris 400 2 stroke scrambler

Troyg25
02-14-2014, 07:47 PM
Does anyone know how long the Polaris scrambler 2 stroke model came out for? I know they made the sport trailblazer and scrambler.

I have a pretty good deal lined up for a gt gas bully dog system. Straight trade but the scrambler needs some work. Haven't seen any pics yet but he said it ran last year and he has ownership for it.

From what I can see I should even if I don't fix it up because of the rareness to them?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks

slashfan7964
02-14-2014, 07:59 PM
I believe the Scrambler started as a Quad in the early 80s, then changed to a three wheeler and then back to a quad, and were all 2 strokes in difference sizes up until a few years ago when they changed to 4 strokes.

I wouldn't call it rare. Polaris made a ton of them.

fabiodriven
02-14-2014, 08:01 PM
I don't know much, but I do know it was not a quad first.

Troyg25
02-14-2014, 08:10 PM
It is a quad but I don't see many around here for sale. What I'm trying to find out what years are the same if I get a chance on another part machine. Guessing it's going to need some parts.

yaegerb
02-14-2014, 09:12 PM
The scrambler 400 was not rare by any means. Other than that its a fairly decent bike but if the pvt system needs work be prepared to get some special tools and possibly spend some high dollars on parts.

slashfan7964
02-14-2014, 10:59 PM
I don't know much, but I do know it was not a quad first.

I swear I seem to have read somewhere that Polaris started them as a quad for one year, then changed to a trike and back. Or maybe I'm thinking of another one. But I'm pretty sure I heard that.

I might be thinking of the Trail Boss 250, which if I've been told correctly was identical to the 3 wheeler other than it had a quad front end and they were produced side by side.

Bren_downe
02-14-2014, 11:30 PM
The P3 is called a scrambler and is the same as the trail boss 250.
My opion is Polaris are heavy garbage. My buddy had a late nineties 400 sport same as the 2wd 400 scrambler. It broke the chain every time we rode and would not start in the cold. And got stuck everywhere.

Troyg25
02-14-2014, 11:56 PM
It's only worth it's wait from what I'm reading. Thanks for all the info

Buck Snort
02-15-2014, 12:42 PM
I have owned a couple of Polaris 400 Explorers and really liked them. I kept up on the regular maintenance and had pretty good luck with them. Put a piston in one at about 3500 miles. Regular chain lube and adjustment. 3 chains on these machines.

Scootertrash
02-16-2014, 09:29 AM
I'm a brand whore: I'll ride anything. I have Ski doo and Polaris snowmobiles and Polaris and Honda ATV's and plan on a CanAm ATV in the future.

Scrambler 400's aren't rare. The Sport 400 was the precursor to the Scrambler 400

We have two of the Scrambler 400's (95 and 96) and they have been trouble free, start in the cold and haven't broken any chains in the 6 years we've been riding them. Broken chains and not starting in the cold seem like maintenance and tuning issues to me.

Getting stuck everywhere? Define everywhere. What kind of tires was he running? My Scramblers have very little trouble in 2 or 4 wheel drive. If you push the limits of either mode and don't have the proper tire for the terrain, yea, yer gonna get stuck.

Scramblers weigh around 480 pounds if I remember correctly. If you take a look at one I'd like to know how you'd make it any lighter. Compare it to a machine with front and rear differentials and the extra drive shafts that go along with those. ;)

Troy: What the heck does this mean?
From what I can see I should even if I don't fix it up because of the rareness to them?

You can throw any brand name out there and you'll hear all kinds of bad mouthing from people who just plain have a hard-on for certain brands. Polaris has been around for a long time, if their machines were junk they wouldn't be around. Opinions are like butt holes: Everyone has one and they all stink. (mine included) ;)

Since he claims it ran before, I would make him get it running so I could hear it run and drive it before I traded or bought it, or base your trade on the fact that it's a non running machine whether he claims it runs or not. If I'm buying a machine that doesn't run, I'm not paying a running machine price because someone says it runs, that's just foolish.

Check the swingarm for side to side looseness, there should be minimal play. Same with the rear axle and front A-arms. Check the front CV shafts for excessive play. Check the counter balancer oil to see if it's milky looking. I don't remember if the 94's had a dipstick under the carb on the right hand side or not. If not, you'll have to use a makeshift dipstick and go thru the filler plug on the lower right front of the crankcase, it's a PITA to get at. If it is, pass on the machine, it means the water pump seals are bad and antifreeze is seeping into the crankcase and it can turn into a very expensive repair.

Troyg25
02-16-2014, 08:35 PM
Thank you for your input. The reason why I started to asks questions before I made the trade was to see if there was any major issues with that type of machine.

I know everyone has there likes and dislikes but I want to hear what everyone thinks of them. Sounds like this guy never had it going but I will trade any way. I showed up to his house last week and it was covered in a pile of snow.

Ok so there not that rare. If I don't get it going i can at least part it out.

SteveCZ28
02-26-2014, 03:45 AM
a buddy i go riding with has a pretty decked out 400 scrambler 2 stroke. his is 4wd as well. that thing is a freaking animal. granted his is piped, it sounds like a pissed off snowmobile when he gets on it. ive ridden it a few times. itll go anywhere you point its nose at, even climbs steep hills too. if i didnt have the quads i have already i would consider a scrambler.

Bren_downe
02-26-2014, 04:20 AM
Yes scooter, you're right those are tuning issues, his quad was pretty beat with bald tires and he was a pretty novice rider. I'll try not to be hasty with my comments in the future but that was my experience and I thought I'd share.
And yes Polaris doesn't give me a H***-on.
When we were young teens we would often travel a few miles through trails to each other's house and I could ride my 200s through the nastiest S*** and if I got stuck it was no big deal. Him on the other hand…
He got stuck so bad one time we had to have a skidder pull him out. Lol.

Troyg25
03-13-2014, 11:02 PM
Made the trade. Turned out not to be a scrambler. Came with ownership.

SteveCZ28
03-14-2014, 12:49 AM
Ahh you snagged a old sportsman. Still can't go wrong with one of these.

Scootertrash
03-15-2014, 07:27 PM
Nice pedobear Steve!!

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing001.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing001.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

SteveCZ28
03-15-2014, 10:28 PM
haha thanks. pedo bear rules