PDA

View Full Version : 200s light wiring

MisterRoboto
02-16-2014, 07:47 PM
i picked up a 200s and got it running. it didnt come with a light so i was going to put a fog light from autozone on it.

i need to know how the wiring works?
i do have a diagram but its hard for me to look at a diagram and know whats going on with the actual wires

my trike has this 3 prong connector with only 2 wires in it a yellow and a green, and i dont have any other bits of the wiring to the lights thanks
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l632/Adam_Button/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-02/2014-02-16_18-33-56_436_zpsfxqb4ils.jpg (http://s1127.photobucket.com/user/Adam_Button/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-02/2014-02-16_18-33-56_436_zpsfxqb4ils.jpg.html)

any helps appreciated thank you

kb0nly
02-16-2014, 11:27 PM
If you look at the wiring diagram its quite simple. The green should be connected to the frame as the ground side. The lights are fed with the green and the yellow. It's an AC alternator output, and you will need both a tail light and a headlight connected, if not it will just keep blowing the headlight. The voltage is regulated by the resistance of both bulbs, one blows the other blows shortly after.

You could easily convert it to a DC system as well if you wanted, but a simple AC 12v regulator would be the easiest if you just want a headlight, then you can connect a headlight to the yellow and green with the regulator tied across them and your done.

MisterRoboto
02-16-2014, 11:41 PM
thats great info thanks.
how would the wires run though did it split from that connector and have a green and yellow going to the rear light as well as a green and yellow going to the front light?
gonna go stare at the diagram for a min

kb0nly
02-17-2014, 02:55 AM
Its been a while since i had my hands on a 200S harness, but if i recall correctly the harness on the frame, which you don't have, came up and the green tied into the green from the CDI and the Pulse Gen, then there was a green going up into the headlight and back to the tail light from that splice point. The Yellow went up to the handlebar headlight switch, then from that it went to the headlight and the tail light. I take it you don't have the handlebar controls either.

For a really basic setup you wouldn't need them, just add a headlight and tail light, wire then to the green and yellow coming from the motor and when its running you have lights. The only problem on these is one bulb will eventually blow and then the other goes too from the voltage going up at higher RPM. Thats why i mentioned just tossing in a cheap AC regulator, then you could just run a headlight if you didn't want the tail, and even if you run both you don't have to worry about blowing bulbs.

MisterRoboto
02-17-2014, 03:59 AM
found a different thread where you talked about a regulator and had a link so i ordered one. i will still be able to put a switch in right? wish me luck

kb0nly
02-17-2014, 01:32 PM
Absolutely you can, put the switch after the regulator and before both of the lights and your good to go. If you get a stock set of handlebar controls just feed the switch from the regulator output. I have replaced so many damn bulbs on these AC trikes over the years that the first thing i usually do when i go through and repair the electrical on one is add a regulator. Its just cheap insurance. I put a regulator on one about 6-7 years ago, i can't remember for sure what year it was, i saw the owner about a month ago, he did mention he was on the same set of bulbs i put in. LOL

MisterRoboto
02-17-2014, 02:42 PM
last question i forgot to ask before is will this make it fine to use led's with?

kb0nly
02-17-2014, 06:59 PM
Depends on the led light. If the manufacturer says it will work with AC then yes. Otherwise you would need a DC system. Some of the led lights on the market have a rectifier in them some only work on DC.

To go with DC you would need to wire in a regulator/rectifier and add a battery.

MisterRoboto
02-22-2014, 08:07 PM
i should just make my threads about the trikes in general.

but anyway i did the apple cider and aquarium rocks in my tank that was pretty bad but no holes, then after it was pretty good and i cleaned it with some soapy warm water. let it sit infront of the heater and now its all surface rusted again, i know there must be something i can put in there to prevent that. any suggestions?

muthey
02-22-2014, 09:10 PM
once you added soapy water to it you started a rusting sequence especially since you put it in front of your fire plate. Heat, water, and steel cause quick rusting. I use muriatic acid, then rinse with distilled water, then if I am in a hurry I will use a blow dryer with no heat to quick dry then afterwards I spray wd40 in it to prevent future rusting.