PDA

View Full Version : How Wolves Change Rivers

trike savior
02-17-2014, 07:58 PM
figured this was fitting for how many of us spend time in the wilderness. Definitely one of the more interesting INFO vid's I have watched in a long time and something to think about.

watch the whole thing, learning something interesting won't kill you, LOL

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=91e_1392504581

briano
02-17-2014, 09:24 PM
There is finally a season on wolves here in the UP. You can have all of them, maybe the deer will make a come back.

fabiodriven
02-17-2014, 11:28 PM
There is finally a season on wolves here in the UP. You can have all of them, maybe the deer will make a come back.

Um, did you watch the video?

briano
02-18-2014, 03:00 PM
I watched the video. For the last few years the wolves here have been making a come back, the deer population is being reduced big time. Wolves here are killing livestock and peoples pets right in their yards. There has been more than one sighting right in town, the wolves are getting braver and less afraid of people. It won't be long before there is an attack on a person. At our camp there used to be plenty of wildlife, now there are wolf tracks all over every 2 track dirt road and not much for other critters. There is a local guy that put up a trail cam by a wolf den, and within 2 months there were 42 fawns killed by the male and female that were using the den. That adds up to a lot of deer that won't be reproducing.

cochran
02-18-2014, 03:59 PM
Sounds perfect doesnt it? There was a wolf attack miles from my house last year and a kids head was split open. I had a large male in my yard in August. Neighbors dog was killed as well. The deer hunting up here has declined over the past ten years.
Implementing a wolf season was the best thing the DNR has done to control them. When the quota is reached the season is closed.

fabiodriven
02-18-2014, 04:35 PM
Obviously wolves running around downtown and killing the locals is not a good thing, but this is nature in Yellowstone they're talking about.

czac
02-18-2014, 04:46 PM
Id love for things like wolves to make a comeback but on the other hand I don't want to get killed for just going on a hike in the woods... lol I guess being armed while hiking will be a future battle for gun owners because a lot of the places the wolves will be will be Federal parks...where gun toting is not permitted. Although the wolves will probably still be "Protected" in those places any how so... lol maybe no more hiking is in order...lol

trike savior
02-18-2014, 05:16 PM
I have heard from neighbors at our summer home near the U P that they have seen a lot more wolves in the past few years. No doubt opening a season on them is the best thing that can be done to control numbers.

at risk of sounding like a wuss, not sure if I could bring myself to shoot one. I see my german shepherd when I see one of those dogs (wolf)(similar body build). he howls just like they do. and don't get me wrong, I deer hunt every year. its just the resemblance.

Anyone ate wolf? whats the taste compare to?

I have said to friends I have taken up there on walks in the woods. If no gun, I think I would sacrifice a hand. I think if you could get one hand in its mouth and grab that bottom jaw, then grab the top with the other hand and break the jaw with everything you have. im sure its easier said then done, but I would rather sacrifice an extremity than other body parts with more veins/ arteries. if that did not work but you can maintain control of the amimal, I would jump on it like a trampoline. it cant chase you with broken legs. MAIN problem is there is more often, more than one.

fabiodriven
02-18-2014, 06:24 PM
I prefer only to shoot at things that can shoot back.

coolpool
02-19-2014, 10:32 AM
Darn work computer won't let me see the vid! Or it's not working anymore? Anyways, as you can imagine Wolves are not endangered in the least in our parts. In fact the Fish Cops have been gunning them down from helicopter trying to save the Woodland Caribou herds in Northern Alberta. They've even tried tranqualizing and neutering the Alpha Male and Females to stop breeding. I love that they're around but they are by far natures most efficient killing machine (besides humans that is). We continue to have a bounty on Coyotes and Wolves in my area. You get a whole $50 for a Wolf and $15 for a 'Yote. You can bet that I'll gun down each and every one I come across; I like Moose meat way too much to let them walk.

CRAZY70MAN
02-19-2014, 01:38 PM
That video is a fairytale unfortunately. Man sooner or later has to intervene in areas that have been populated in high numbers. They protect the whitetail deer herd in the Cuyahoga Valley National park here in Cleveland and years after send in sharpshooters to thin them out?? Bring in wolves and there are no deer?? Protect one and lose the other?? That is why we are on the top of the foodchain and yes I can defeat a bear with a 12 ga. shotgun with 000 buck shot. So that makes me higher up the chain. It has always been mans duty to be the caretakers of the earths animals. Sometimes we all just think nature can take care of itself but unfortunately, because of the earths population in areas, that is not an option any more. It is our job to find and maintain the correct balance when we see problems in nature, not just sit back and let it "run its course". How about we just eliminate hunting and trapping seasons in all states for 3 years and let's just see nature "run it's course". Overpopulation and disease would run wild in the animal kingdom..... Not to mention loss of tax dollars and revenue,jobs,license fees, and the list goes on and on.

ezmoney1979
02-19-2014, 02:13 PM
That video is a fairytale unfortunately. Man sooner or later has to intervene in areas that have been populated in high numbers. They protect the whitetail deer herd in the Cuyahoga Valley National park here in Cleveland and years after send in sharpshooters to thin them out?? Bring in wolves and there are no deer?? Protect one and lose the other?? That is why we are on the top of the foodchain and yes I can defeat a bear with a 12 ga. shotgun with 000 buck shot. So that makes me higher up the chain. It has always been mans duty to be the caretakers of the earths animals. Sometimes we all just think nature can take care of itself but unfortunately, because of the earths population in areas, that is not an option any more. It is our job to find and maintain the correct balance when we see problems in nature, not just sit back and let it "run its course". How about we just eliminate hunting and trapping seasons in all states for 3 years and let's just see nature "run it's course". Overpopulation and disease would run wild in the animal kingdom..... Not to mention loss of tax dollars and revenue,jobs,license fees, and the list goes on and on.
Man has a very bad track record of playing "god". Are you trying to tell me "Overpopulation and disease" was prevalent before "white men" "discovered" North America? And you hunting with your buddies brought it all back under control? Look at areas where no man inhabits this earth, where things are allowed to "run its course", things do just fine without us, always will.

trike savior
02-19-2014, 02:19 PM
I would say if there is one species that has done the most to hurt nature, it is us. we are better now, with having quotas and allowing hunting as biologists see fit, but how many species have we brought to near extinction?

CRAZY70MAN
02-19-2014, 03:17 PM
Man has a very bad track record of playing "god". Are you trying to tell me "Overpopulation and disease" was prevalent before "white men" "discovered" North America? And you hunting with your buddies brought it all back under control? Look at areas where no man inhabits this earth, where things are allowed to "run its course", things do just fine without us, always will.

You are comparing apples to oranges. Cleveland, Ohio is not Siberia. You may be correct on your opinion of where no man inhabits, but as I stated above "areas populated in high numbers". And years ago, before the white man, people were actually harvesting and using the animals for survival in daily life. Not feeding them in National parks, which somewhat helped in population control. I would never compare hunting and concern for the health of all animals playing God. In my opinion, we have to take steps now that there are billions of people on this planet that were not here at one point and time to live with a balance, that's all. Good points though Ez...... Times change, everything changes sooner or later..:beer

Here is a verse from the book I read... Genesis 1:26?
Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, [a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

fabiodriven
02-19-2014, 10:31 PM
Andy you are my friend and I will pilot your Zinger up the strip as many times as I'm called upon, nothing will change that. :beer

I will tell you now that our opinions differ vastly on this subject but that's no reason not to get along as much as we do. Modern man in my opinion is a disease to this planet. If you really step back and look at this planet as one living thing, we are the only organism on it that continually sucks the life right out of her, quite literally, robbing her of her lifeblood and stability. In the process, we destroy her lungs and ability to breathe by taking down her trees and replacing it with roads and buildings which pollute the air she breathes and has gotten exponentially worse over the last 150 years or so. Millions of years this planet has survived, yet man has made her sick in a fraction of that time. When man expands into nature, the proper terminology is man "encroaching into their environment". That says it all right there. Man is moving into and taking over lands that would otherwise be flourishing with all of its original and rightful inhabitants, just as when the Native Americans were taken over. Those were people that lived in harmony with the planet and nature. Every part of nature has its purpose, even the killers, and everything happens for a reason. Man was not put on this earth to intervene and decide what creatures should do what and force his hand on what he thinks should be right. What happens in nature is supposed to be just that, natural, or uninfluenced. Once man imposes his will, it is no longer natural. There is something very different about man than all of the other mammals on this planet, obviously, and unfortunately more often then not we have a destructive nature. It doesn't matter what your race or where you're from, we continually destroy this planet every day while the rest of its inhabitants just do their thing. If you start your car you are hurting this planet. If you eat a candy bar that had been on three different trucks and was made in a factory that runs on electricity that comes from a coal burning plant, you're destroying the planet.

I know a lot of people are going to find this funny, but it's the truth. I'm no hippie. I have a giant truck and more gas engines than I should. I also eat cheeseburgers, a lot of them actually. I view man as a disease on this planet, at least currently. I feel confident evolution will find a way to fix things. If not, this planet seems to be changing.

CRAZY70MAN
02-20-2014, 10:16 AM
Post away Fabs....that is what this forum is for. Glad to see some here still can have an intelligent discussion amongst friends and other enthusiasts. I can see some of your points above. I think of it as if "What if the railroad had never been built"? "What if there were no interstate system"? No electric, water, sewers, and other infrastructure that has admittedly taken some of the enviroment for mans benefit?? What would the trade have been had it not happened I often wonder?? I look at poor countries and I see the answers. I can see a lot of disgust everywhere I look as well in the world with waste and greed from money. The greed part can never be fixed Timothy 6:10 or the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. With all good seems to come more evil these days. Heck, look at the internet? Something so useful can turn into a porthole to hell and has in many ways. I guess my beliefs govern my thoughts more than looking at history. I personally think these things must come to pass and all part of God's plan. Not trying to turn this into a bible thumping by no means, just letting ya know where my theories..and there are just my theories, come from brother:beer I bet you and I could spend one entire night at a trikefest fire and solve all the problems:lol::beer:beer

fabiodriven
02-20-2014, 11:01 AM
:beer I bet you and I could spend one entire night at a trikefest fire and solve all the problems:lol::beer:beer

Not only could we, but we will!

fabiodriven
02-20-2014, 01:17 PM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/wD1h9_zpsd1fd0fe1.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/wD1h9_zpsd1fd0fe1.jpg.html)

tri again
02-20-2014, 06:05 PM
Sorry if off track but I just flashed on Australia.
Brought in cane toads to eat something else and they cause car accidents,
there are so many of them.
a+b=c is not always the formula for nature and balance.
I try to do my part, but when china smog is being imported into LA
I wonder if there is much we can do.A quote comes to mind, 'if we're not part of the solution, we must be part of the problem'.
Giving up our trikes probably won't make much difference.

tri again
02-21-2014, 04:04 PM
do they eat Australian cane toads?
Maybe we Can fix the Aussie ecosystem too.

tri again
02-21-2014, 04:43 PM
As long as the toads aren’t killing sheep and cattle I say let them be.

They make the raods as slick as ice.
So many you don't dare hit the brakes.
I forget why they were inported in the first place.

CRAZY70MAN
02-21-2014, 05:03 PM
As long as the toads aren’t killing sheep and cattle I say let them be.

:beer:beer

300rman
02-28-2014, 08:45 PM
I prefer only to shoot at things that can shoot back.

You cant fistfight one of these things if it comes after you though. :naughty: