PDA

View Full Version : Got a COOL new summer toy yesterday! '78 Chevy K-10 lifted

RIDE-RED 250r
02-17-2014, 10:27 PM
So, after 600 miles rounds trip, I find it was well worth bringing this ol' gal home.

It is my first square body Chevy since the '77 I had when I was in high school in the 90's.

It came from TX and I have the title that backs it up. The young man only had it in VT where I bought from for a little over a year and a half.

It is a '78 (same year as me!) K-10, Big 10. The Big 10 is a half ton body with 3/4 ton axles and springs. I hear from people that is what GM did in the early days of EPA emissions regs to get around some of the regs. See, the regs didnt apply to heavy duty trucks, or so I am told. But I can tell you it has a 12 bolt rear end with Richmond Racing 3.73 gears and Detroit locker. Has the 10 bolt Dana 44 front axle. Definitely has the factory 3/4 ton rear springs...

Other things done, rebuilt 4spd (with receipt), mild cam, Edelbrock 650cfm carb, Edelbrock intake, full length headers with true dual cherry bombs. Also has a 4" lift riding on 35" BFG's. This truck is structurally and mechanically SOLID. Dual tanks work. Only thing it needs is some cosmetic work in the interior, which isn't in too bad of shape for 36 years old.. Big thing it needs is a paint job. But the body is solid.

This old girl is going to haul my trikes up to Tug Hill while my '06 Silverado hauls my 28' camper. I have no intention of driving this truck in winter whatsoever.....so the next couple of months will be pure TOrTURE!

Couple pics...

I'll take more pics if interested. Under hood is CLEAN and the engine runs awesome.

I couldn't be happier with this truck. I set out to find a solid old Chevy and I thing I did that and more.

JasonB
02-17-2014, 11:42 PM
Freaking cool truck man! I like that!

Buck Snort
02-17-2014, 11:46 PM
Nice truck! I have always liked the old Chevys.

King Trikester
02-18-2014, 12:47 AM
Nice score I love those old chevy's I had an 85, it got stollen, I also have a 2006 silverado, also a great looking truck

DasUberKraut
02-18-2014, 01:13 AM
Nothing has more class than a old Bowtie. Nice pull, bro!

MNhondaguy
02-18-2014, 02:33 AM
Sounds like a good engine setup too, very common and reliable. Is the lift a body lift or spring blocks or spring shackles? Either way, nice truck!

RIDE-RED 250r
02-18-2014, 05:18 AM
Camexican: as far as I am aware, there isn't a difference in the body panels from a 1/2t to a 3/4t. Its just that you couldn't get a 3/4 with a shortbox which this truck has. I guess its why its called the Big 10.

The lift is blocks in the rear and totally different springs get the job done up front. Stock front springs bend upward where these the bend faces downward and has a couple more leafs

bkm
02-18-2014, 06:14 AM
Cool truck Joe. The big ten or heavy half was really nothing more than heavier springs, bigger brakes, and a higher load range tire. The axles on your truck are 1/2 ton, the 3/4 ton used 8lug axles. Like you said though, it's reasoning was to make the gvw higher and avoid emissions.

Yamada
02-18-2014, 09:51 AM
Cool truck Joe. The big ten or heavy half was really nothing more than heavier springs, bigger brakes, and a higher load range tire. The axles on your truck are 1/2 ton, the 3/4 ton used 8lug axles. Like you said though, it's reasoning was to make the gvw higher and avoid emissions.

I don't know much about old chevy, but for me a 3/4 ton truck is 8 lugs and a 1/2 ton is 6 lugs.:wondering:wondering
But still a nice truck, congratulation for you purchase.

redsox
02-18-2014, 10:07 AM
that is a nice looking truck man. congrats. i love old chevys!

bkm
02-18-2014, 10:38 AM
I don't know much about old chevy, but for me a 3/4 ton truck is 8 lugs and a 1/2 ton is 6 lugs.:wondering:wondering
But still a nice truck, congratulation for you purchase.Which is exactly what I said.

DohcBikes
02-18-2014, 11:16 AM
Well you guys are all wrong and ride red knows exactly what he has.

Chevy has been making trucks that they call "heavy half" "big 10" and LIGHT DUTY 3/4 TON with 6 lug outers for a long time.

The 12 bolt was an option for 6 lug trucks with 3/4 ton springs. In my book, since the fractional ton rating loosely relates to load carrying capacity, anything with 3/4 ton springs and a larger than stock axle is a 3/4 ton.

They also make 14 bolt six lug axles. The trucks they are installed on are certainly not half tons.

Personally I have never seen a short box big ten, but that doesn't mean they didn't make em.

bkm
02-18-2014, 12:03 PM
The 14 bolt 6lug was newer, 88 I believe and came in light duty 3/4 trucks.

bkm
02-18-2014, 12:16 PM
You can call them anything you want but in those years anything under the 8600 gvwr was a gimmick to skirt the emissions laws and was not a true 3/4. I don't care what they were labeled as, because it was all jargon. A true 3/4 ton chevy of the day used the 14 bolt 8lug rear and Dana 44 8lug front if it was 8600 gvwr. The light duty 3/4 ton trucks were nothing more than an attempt to go around the rules.

Edit: I was incorrect regarding the 8600 gvwr. 8400 was the top dog camper special and the lightest k20 was down to 6800 gvwr, but still used the 14 bolt 8lug rear and Dana 44 front.

DohcBikes
02-18-2014, 02:54 PM
Yep for 2wd trucks there were 5 lug 12 bolts, I have owned about 15 of the square chevys in just about every configuration imaginable.

Yep its just jargon lol, but if a truck has heavier duty springs and axles than a stock "half ton", its not a "half ton" anymore, and thats what the jargon is there to represent.

And yes the 14 bolt six lug was predominantly used in the 88 and up "light duty 3/4 tons" and are indescribably stronger than the half ton ten bolt.

DohcBikes
02-18-2014, 02:59 PM
To further confuse things, Chevy also made an 8 lug 3/4 ton with the same gm10 bolt front axle they used in the 1/2 tons. The knuckles swap from ten bolt to Dana 44

The 14 bolt six lug is a semi-float axle as compared to the eight lug which is a full floater.

RIDE-RED 250r
02-18-2014, 08:44 PM
Yep, I'm confused as hell now!! LOL!

OK, Camexican, you are absolutley right about there being long box Big 10's. Back in the mid 90's when I was in high school, a friend of mine had one. We used to make fun of his truck because we had not a clue what Big 10 meant. I guess perhaps a shortbox Big 10 is a little less common??? I will put the calipers to the frame rails and post up the average thickness I find.

About the load rating for my axles, all I can tell you is I have been told by 2 people who know these trucks and whose knowledge and advice I value that I do in fact have "3/4 ton" suspension springs and at the very least, heavier duty axles than would be found on the typical stock 1/2t truck from that era. The rear helper spring does not begin to compress and push back until enough load is on the bed or hitch that the bumper tabs on the frame begin to compress that upper helper spring set. If it was light outside I would take a few pics of the axles and springs for you guys. Matter of fact, I will do just that tomorrow as most of you guys having the debate clearly are more informed on all these subtle differences with these trucks.

Pics to come tomorrow. :) And thanks for all the compliments! :)

DohcBikes
02-18-2014, 10:55 PM
I will put the calipers to the frame rails and post up the average thickness I find.

About the load rating for my axles, all I can tell you is I have been told by 2 people who know these trucks and whose knowledge and advice I value that I do in fact have "3/4 ton" suspension springs and at the very least, heavier duty axles than would be found on the typical stock 1/2t truck from that era. Yep.

As far as the frame, 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton frames from most eras are the same, and the one ton frames are taller, bigger everywhere. Its something like 4 inches for the 1/2_3/4 ton compared to 6 inches tall for the one ton.

Pretty sure the thickness of the steel depends on the year. Huge guess here but I think 81 and up are thinner steel than previous years for the 1/2_3/4 ton frame.

Another reference will be the length of the springs. Don't quote me but 1/2 tons are about 52" and others are about 56" long eye to eye. Hope that's close lol.....

Be interested in the frames steel thickness as well, I have an 87 8 lug 3/4 ton to compare it with.

fabiodriven
02-18-2014, 11:52 PM
That's a very nice truck Joe. I'm personally not a Chevy guy, but that's obviously nice. I'm surprised it took so long to point out that it's not a full floater rear end. That's the huge difference as far a carrying a load, but it's still a 3/4 ton. Dan had something similar that I thought someone had assembled, but I believe it was a 1990. If I'm not mistaken, it had the 4 real squinty sealed beam headlights, possibly one year only? I could be way off on that, I'm not exactly a Chevy guy. His had something similar to yours though, with the 3/4 ton suspension and axles, but it wasn't a full floater either. Now I'm wondering if it came from the factory that way.

Correction- Dan's was a Blazer.

DohcBikes
02-19-2014, 12:06 AM
The 1/2 and 3/4 ton pickups switched body styles in 88, while the 1 ton trucks, Suburban, and K5 remained square thru 1991. If Dans was a 1990 Blazer with 3/4 ton axles, it either started life as a military rig, i think they called them CUCV? or had the axles and springs swapped in. They did make 3/4 ton Suburbans.

oh ya and I think the squinty 4 eyes were on the 88-91one ton/k5/burb models

fabiodriven
02-19-2014, 12:15 AM
Nope, definitely not a CUCV. Guess it was something someone threw together after all.

threewheelin-feelin
02-19-2014, 01:09 AM
love the truck! this body style chevy is sexy...come to think of it all the chevy pickups are sexy. im on the hunt for a K5 blazer right now. but i would love to have me a square body standard cab long bed too

bkm
02-19-2014, 02:52 AM
I'm surprised it took so long to point out that it's not a full floater rear end.

Thats because GM didn't make a full floating 12 bolt. I hate to clutter up Joe's thread, because I personally love the truck and there isn't a better guy it could have gone to and I apologize for the ramblings.

Find me a 3/4 ton truck of Joe's vintage with a 12 bolt or 6 lug axles and I'll shut up. Yes the Dana 44 was used in both the 1/2 and 3/4 trucks, so I gues we can agree that half of the axles are partially 3/4 ton, but its missing two lug nuts.

Just to make sure I wan't talking stupid, I tried to locate a 6 lug rear drum or front rotor for a '78 3/4 and was unsucessful.

I do know that late 60's and early 70's GM 3/4 ton's used 6 lugs and a 12 bolt, but I think the last year for that was around '72, and picked up again in the late 80's with the 6 lug 14 bolt, but Joe's truck is neither of those years and doesn't really apply to this thread.

I think we can all agree that the springs, brakes, ect are all heavy duty and carry a load rating greater than a regular 1/2 ton, but I'm sticking to my guns and saying the axles are not 3/4 ton and can be found on other 1/2 ton 4x4's of the same vintage.

Again Joe, sorry for the ramblings, but out of curiosity, what is the gvwr of your truck and the 4th digit of the vin? #4 is the big 10 and a #1 denotes regular half ton.

RIDE-RED 250r
02-19-2014, 04:30 AM
No need to apologize Bryan. I am learning a lot reading what you guys have to say.

I am at work right now so I'll have to get back to you with the GVWR and VIN of the Rum Runner

bkm
02-19-2014, 04:39 AM
I like the name. Now all it needs is an LS swap.lol

RIDE-RED 250r
02-19-2014, 05:46 PM
OK, so I got the numbers and some pics of the rear suspension and axles.

The VIN is CKL148218xxxx
GVWR is 6200#
Block casting number is 3970010

slashfan7964
02-19-2014, 06:22 PM
That's a GM 12 bolt semi-float light duty 3/4 ton axle. Very good rear end, might be an open differential though which isn't a biggy for daily driving. A 6200 GVWR is extremely light for a 3/4 ton truck. You got the springs for more but the axle can't hold that kind of weight.

Dirtcrasher
02-19-2014, 08:03 PM
I love that truck!! I had a 79 3/4 ton 8 lug DANA 60's with a locker and 8"s of lift and 36" Swampers. The sound of the tires and the headers was intimidating but they didn't know I had a trick 327 under the hood as well. That truck beat 5.0 Stangs!! I just didn't have the money to reg/ins 2 vehicles and it got 7MPG :lol: Man, I wish we had digital cameras back in 89 as I don't have 1 picture :( But now I can look at your truck :D

czac
02-21-2014, 03:10 PM
nice truck... I always liked the older Chevy's the best... I had a 77 Blazer and it was one fun truck to have!

http://www.brokenfencephotography.com/photos/i-z9Kr5T3/0/M/i-z9Kr5T3-M.jpg

RIDE-RED 250r
02-21-2014, 07:28 PM
Right now, I need ideas on how to get the wife off my back about putting an old school wrecker front bumper on it.

She is dead set against it to the point she says she won't ride in the truck if I put one on.

I'm talking about a beefy old wrecker push bumper with the brush guard that comes up in front of the grille and stops about even with the top of the hood. She thinks it will look stupid... I think it will fit this truck like a glove and not only look tough, but serve a very important purpose, at least to me... I will fear no deer with that bumper!!!

Would it look dumb on a low riding 2wd?? Of course! But on this truck being lifted and whatnot... I think it will fit the bill nicely....

I don't know what her deal is... She is picking the wrong battle! Fricken woman.... :crazy::lol:

fabiodriven
02-21-2014, 08:28 PM
Joe I'd be all in for the tow truck bumper. I'm always looking for one of those myself.

I'm a bit confused about the banter with the 3/4 ton stuff that Bryan was talking about. As far as I can tell, there's some conflicting information with other posts unless I'm confused? I am anything but a Chevy guru, I'm a Ford guy.

DohcBikes
02-21-2014, 09:56 PM
Once again its all semantics. If you do consider anything that says 2500 on the side to be a 3/4 ton, like the normal consumer does, then I have had multiple 3/4 ton trucks with six lug axles.

Basically it seems that some people are refusing to call every 2500 a 3/4 ton, but that's how CHEVROLET sells them, lol. They call them light duty 3/4 tons. I think Chevy is the expert here.

DohcBikes
02-21-2014, 10:42 PM
Funny. All older Dodge and Chevy 1/2 tons have 2500 tags here and the F150 1/2 tons had F200 emblems till 1997. Now they are called Lobos.This isnt mexico lol. There is no argument here. The names 1/2 ton 3/4 ton and 1 ton don't mean anything anymore either, its just a way to say "this truck is heavier duty than this truck". Chevrolet has undoubtedly sold trucks that they themselves call 3/4 ton trucks, that also have six lug axles. If Chevy calls it a 3/4 ton and it has six lug axles, then that's what it is.

briano
02-21-2014, 11:58 PM
It's a K10, the old 1/2 ton number. Now they are called a 1500. The springs are bigger because it's a 4 inch suspension lift. I had a 74 k10 with the same spring setup, I had a 2500 pound load of scrap in the back and it hauled it fine. When you buy a lift for those old Chevys the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton lift kits are the same parts. The difference in the rear springs are some of the years had 56 inch long and some were 62 inches long. The big difference in the regular and heavy half tons is the rear brakes and the tire ply. Otherwise they are the same thing.

Back to the truck, I'd love to have it. Out of the 39 vehicles that I've owned there have been around 25 old Chevy trucks. At one time I had parts piled all over for those things. If gas wasn't $3.60 per gallon I'd love to have another one.

DohcBikes
02-22-2014, 12:17 AM
Yes ride reds is considered a heavy half. A K10. The point I'm making is that Chevy DID use the SAME axles and springs that his truck has in trucks that CHEVY called 3/4 tons. So it doesn't matter what we call it lol...

RIDE-RED 250r
02-22-2014, 09:33 AM
I am not as steeped in knowledge with these trucks as many of you are.

But I have had friends and family members that know these trucks very well look it over and it does seem to have heavier axles and springs than a "regular" K-10 from that vintage. The rear spring setup I was told indubitably is 3/4 ton. I guess you could buy an aftermarket helper spring setup back in the day and what I have I was told positively is factory and not aftermarket.

Also, the GVWR at 6200 I posted seems to agree with the whole story of the Big 10's and that they were made to be just heavy enough (over 6k) to be exempt from that first round of EPA emissions regs. No sign this truck ever had a smog pump or anything like that. I'm not sure about a catalytic converter, if it had one it's long gone now.. It has full length headers and true dual cherry bombs now.. :D

IDK, I myself consider it an extra heavy duty half ton truck that from what I have been told has about the best axles, transmission, transfer case I could hope to find on an old truck like this... Well, aside from putting ACTUAL 3/4 or 1 ton axles and whatnot into it.

DohcBikes
02-22-2014, 11:08 AM
Ugghhh. Wasted energy lol....
There is not an axle that is called "3/4 ton". There is not an axle called "1 ton". There is not an axle called "1/2 ton"

The most common chevy 4x4 truck rear axles after 1976 are...
6 lug 10 bolts. Used in "1/2 ton" or 1500.
6 lug 12 bolts. Used in "1/2 ton", "Heavy Half", " 3/4 ton" and "2500" trucks.
6 lug 14 bolts. Used ONLY in "3/4 ton" and "2500" trucks.
8 lug 14 bolts. Used in "3/4 ton", "2500", "1 ton" and 3500 trucks......hmmmmm. Now this is interesting.

So who here wants to tell me that a 14 bolt 8 lug rear is a "3/4" ton axle?

Who here wants to tell me its a "1 ton" axle?

Its neither. Its just an 8 lug 14 bolt axle.
When its in a "3/4 ton" truck, its a "3/4 ton axle. When its in a "1 ton" truck, its a "1 ton" axle.
How is it any different when a 12 bolt is in a "3/4 ton" truck....it isn't.

:beer

Slingblade
02-24-2014, 12:11 PM
Very cool truck. I had a friend with a Big 10 back in the day, SWB 4x4, with a factory 454. I was just a kid, so I can't tell you about the running gear. But it was the only 73-87 I've ever

seen with a factory Tach. I thought it was the coolest truck ever.

Enjoy your square-body Ride-Red!

DohcBikes
02-24-2014, 12:48 PM
Very cool truck. I had a friend with a Big 10 back in the day, SWB 4x4, with a factory 454

it was the only 73-87 I've ever

seen with a factory Tach.

Oh lord this thread has been stressfull LOL....Im just going to have to leave this one alone.

Probably rhetorical, but how are you liking the truck so far Ride Red???

RIDE-RED 250r
02-24-2014, 05:07 PM
Got a chance to do some tinkering on it this weekend.

It came with funky euro style tail lights... I don't like those. Fortunately, the previous owner still had the originals in near perfect shape. Swapped the OEM's back in.

Also, had to adjust the clutch and in the process of figuring out another issue with the clutch pedal I/we (my brothers were helping me) figured out I need clutch pedal bushings. No big deal, I can get all the bushings for about $20 or less.

Did a few other miscellaneous things. I haven't driven it yet since I test drove it in Vermont. This truck is not going to see snow and salt. I probably won't be able to take it out till at least the end of March. Driving me NUTS!!! :D

I really like it alot. Someone already installed a nice modern stereo in it and did a good job at it. Has some good speakers too so if I want to listen to music I'll actually be able to hear it.. (not that I will choose music over the 8 cylinder symphony very often ;))

Slingblade
02-25-2014, 01:30 PM
Get you an LMC Truck catalog and then fight with the wife when the Visa card bill hits. Old Bowties are like a 250r, you gotta feed the habit.

The cool thing about the 70's was you could walk into the GM dealership and order, to an extent, what you wanted.

Just like the the truck I posted about above, (the one DOHC doubts existed). The man ordered it and checked the boxes he wanted. I think he had to get the Big 10 package to have the 454.

All I know is you have a way cool truck, Thanks for sharing. And when you get ready for that LS swap like BKM said, just yell, I've been there and made all the mistakes.. Good Luck

RIDE-RED 250r
02-25-2014, 05:45 PM
Yep, already have been browsing LMC and have a catalog on the way. ;)

And you are right about wanting to spend a ton of money, I can hardly turn a page in my brother's LMC catalog without putting something on the "want" list! LOL!

And pardon my ignorance, but LS swap... I'm guessing a Vortec 350???

yamaha225dr
02-25-2014, 08:35 PM
Nice truck! I had a 76 K5 Blazer with the 400v8 and really enjoyed riding around with the top off in the summer.

RIDE-RED 250r
02-25-2014, 08:50 PM
When I was growing up, my parents had a '76 Blazer too! They bought it in '82 and kept it till around '97 if I recall... It had ALOT of miles on it.

bkm
02-25-2014, 08:54 PM
Yep, already have been browsing LMC and have a catalog on the way. ;)

And you are right about wanting to spend a ton of money, I can hardly turn a page in my brother's LMC catalog without putting something on the "want" list! LOL!

And pardon my ignorance, but LS swap... I'm guessing a Vortec 350???Joe, the newer generation of gm v8's are referred to as the lsx or the ls for short. They are a far superior design to the older sbc and make gobs of power with little effort.

DohcBikes
02-26-2014, 12:38 PM
Just like the the truck I posted about above, (the one DOHC doubts existed)Short box 73-87 with a factory big block you mean? I don't doubt it existed. I know it didn't exist lol.

If anyone needs me I'll be busy feeding my unicorn.

RIDE-RED 250r
02-26-2014, 04:57 PM
Joe, the newer generation of gm v8's are referred to as the lsx or the ls for short. They are a far superior design to the older sbc and make gobs of power with little effort.

Would the 5.3 aluminum block in my '06 Silverado be considered the LSX? If so, I always thought it would be cool to de-smogify and de-computerize one of the modern GM smallblocks and see what you can do with one...

But in reality, I don't think I would be able to get more out of one of those by de-computerizing. If I ever do an engine swap in the ol' Rum-Runner I think I will go big block. My father in law has been playing with Chevy's since he was a teenager in the 60's and I know he has some old school goodies kicking around his shop and property. He has a smallish blower that was once on his 454 powered '79 custom dually he built. He ended up not liking it for a few reasons. Long story short, that blower is just sitting on his shelf. One of these winters, I may pull my 350, get some forged dish pistons and an intake and slap that blower on it! :D

ezmoney1979
02-26-2014, 05:57 PM
Any real power making is computer controlled, here is an article demonstrating the power the LS motors can make, there is a surprise ending too-
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_1109_stock_gm_ls_engine_big_bang_theory/

RIDE-RED 250r
02-26-2014, 06:55 PM
Any real power making is computer controlled, here is an article demonstrating the power the LS motors can make, there is a surprise ending too-
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_1109_stock_gm_ls_engine_big_bang_theory/

HOLY SMOKES! Grave Digger monster truck HP our of a little 4.8??!! Last I was aware, those pro monster trucks are making 1200hp and in some cases more but with supercharged big blocks... Maybe they should switch to 4.8's! ;)

Gotta love positive intake pressure! ;)

bkm
02-27-2014, 04:02 AM
Short box 73-87 with a factory big block you mean? I don't doubt it existed. I know it didn't exist lol.

If anyone needs me I'll be busy feeding my unicorn.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=578633

DohcBikes
02-27-2014, 10:25 AM
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=578633that's a 2wd. His claim was that his buddy had a SWB 4x4 big block. Still haven't seen one.

Slingblade
02-28-2014, 11:38 AM
Now you might just be right about that, Dohc. The truck had big tires and a roll bar, but didn't really sit up high. This was about 82-83, I was 12-13, so maybe I just thought it was 4x4.

But it was a short bed with a 454 and a factory tach, and he (my friend) said it was a Big 10 and his dad had ordered it like that. I never rode in it, yet we said it was the fastest around, lol.

I had no intention of lying or de-railing RideRed's thread so I sincerely apologize.

Now back to the order at hand. Ridered, you can tell by that article the strength and potential of an LS powerplant. My truck is a 83 2wd, 5.3 iron block, 4l60e trans. Basically the same running

gear as your 06, (Your aluminum block has flat tops and better heads). A cam change, a set of headers, a good tune and it's just unreal how it runs. I love taking an unsuspecting person for

a ride and just scaring the piss out of them. I know you're not ready for an engine swap, just keep your eye open for a wrecked late model truck, sometimes you can buy the whole pull-out

assembly dirt cheap. You can still run your trans and transfer case. Just another thing to put on the wish list...

RIDE-RED 250r
02-28-2014, 05:10 PM
No problem on the extra conversation in here, no apology needed. It has been most informative. :beer

Now that LS swap, how do you get the modern electronic engine to play nice with the old truck electrical system? I like my aluminum block 5.3, it certainly gets the job done and can pull a pretty heavy trailer.

Side note: when I got my aluminum block truck, I was curious as to where they dug up the extra claimed 15hp over the older iron block 5.3. So I did some digging around online and the difference is half a point higher compression ratio, different head porting, and a higher lift cam compared to it's iron block predecessor. But claimed torque was unchanged... which I found a bit odd...

DohcBikes
02-28-2014, 06:08 PM
I would be very happy to be wrong about this one......lol:beer

Someone keep looking!!!

P.S., I would need a picture of the vin tag in the truck to concede lol.....

Ride Red, that is really weird, because I was taught that it is impossible to increase peak horsepower without increasing torque as well, BUT, they did redesign the whole engine, so I don't think that law applies here.

Slingblade
03-01-2014, 12:05 AM
"Now that LS swap, how do you get the modern electronic engine to play nice with the old truck electrical system?"

It's actually simple. The PCM (Computer) runs the engine and automatic trans. All it needs is power and ground wires and it does the work. That's why it's nice to buy a complete unit,

Engine, PCM, wiring harness, gas pedal (if drive by wire), basically the engine and everything that's connected to it. I paid a guy to rewire my factory harness, ended up with 3 fuses and 2

relays (see pic). He labeled the wires coming from the PCM for tach, brake switch (trans lock-up), OBD port, etc. Plug and Play. Use your old starter wires. Everything else stays as is.

Get power to the PCM and the fuel pump, Have the security tuned out and SHAZAAM, she'll fire up. Literally 3-4 wires to make it run.

RIDE-RED 250r
04-02-2014, 06:53 PM
I see 90guy has posted his tinkerings on his Power Wagon, so I thought I would give a little update on my K-10 as well..

First of all, after doing more research I have figured out I do NOT have a Big 10. The Big 10 package was only for 2wd trucks. They didn't need to do the Big 10 with the K-10 because it was already over that 6,000lb threshold for the first emissions regs. And that was the main unspoken reason for the Big 10 in the first place, to offer a half ton, non-smogger 2wd truck..

But anyway, I have been doing a little tinkering.

I acquired an OEM '78 grille that I already installed. Once the weather gets warm enough here to paint, the grille will be semi-gloss black, and the bowtie and "350" badge numbers will both be Ford blue. The "350" badge was kind of a rare find as they only did that on 73-74 trucks. Father in law had a 73 or 74 GMC grille and I snagged the "350" badge! That was a good find! :D

Also have an old Lund visor with integral marker lights. Again, once painting weather gets here that will be semi-gloss black.

I got ahold of some 73-74 amber front facing marker/turns. My father in law has a chrome OEM front bumper with vertical bumper guards on his plow truck he is giving me. Will install that next time we go up for a visit. It's a nice looking piece!

Yesterday, I picked up a nice chrome diamond plate step bumper from a salvage yard and polished it up and put it on. No pics of that yet.

Another project planned for painting weather is to sand, prime and apply roll-on bedliner to the bottom 8" or so of the body for looks and protection.

Come on warm weather!

A little at a time........

But here is a pic of the grille. Don't mind the mismatched look and try to picture the grille black with a blue bowtie and 350 badge....

90guy
04-02-2014, 07:24 PM
Man I love how clean that truck is! Atleast I'm not the only one waiting for decent painting weather! Could live without more snow. 61 degrees Saturday no snow . 11 degrees Sunday with 14" of snow. Woo. Looking good though! :beer

ironchop
04-02-2014, 07:26 PM

here is how I avoid bowtie confusion.....what came on what? I don`t fuggin know so I got a FORD

my daily driver:
79 F150 SB Explorer 460 4spd 6 inch suspension lift 8 lug dana front and rear.....and yeah, I already know the f150 didn`t come with a 460 in 79....so I fixed that

MNhondaguy
04-02-2014, 11:04 PM
Lt, ls, BB, SB, forced induction, NA, do what you want with what you have. It'll work if you really want it to. I'm still putting mine together. 64 chev 3/4 ton 2wd body on a 72 1/2 ton 2wd frame with an 87 SB, vortec heads, mild cam and such, TH350 trans. 12 bolt rear above springs, 2" drop spindles. should be a good daily. 3.07 gears should be good mileage too haha

ironchop
04-04-2014, 11:20 AM
Get you an LMC Truck catalog and then fight with the wife when the Visa card bill hits.

I agree with this ......my LMC catalog you could build a truck from a bare frame and cab with all the pcs they offer and the rest I get from Jeffs bronco Graveyard catalog for my old dentside Ford

thornton
04-05-2014, 07:55 AM
looks like a nice truck. i love my old chevy,s i have a lifted 78 shortbox and lowered 75 shortbox

M.Pargiello
04-05-2014, 08:21 AM
I agree with this ......my LMC catalog you could build a truck from a bare frame and cab with all the pcs they offer and the rest I get from Jeffs bronco Graveyard catalog for my old dentside Ford

I went through LMC alot when I had my RCSB. Yeah, Wives don't like those bills :D

looks like a nice truck. i love my old chevy,s i have a lifted 78 shortbox and lowered 75 shortbox

I love that 75!!

RIDE-RED 250r
04-24-2014, 07:11 PM
I have been adding some bits and pieces to Delilah over the last few weeks. Also have done some painting....

Last pic I posted I believe was right after I replaced the black screen in the grille with a factory grille from '78.

Since that pic I have painted the grille satin black, added chrome tail light trim, added a chrome step bumper, '73-'74 amber front facing marker/turn lenses.

I recently acquired an older school Lund visor with clearance lamps. Today I sanded it down and painted it satin black. I CAN'T WAIT to get this goodie on my truck! Hoping to have it mounted by the end of the weekend if the weather permits.

I have also acquired a good used sliding rear window. (love the pick n pull yard!) and have to order a new rear window seal. Once I get that I will be replacing my rear window that is missing 3 of the 4 aluminum trims pieces on the sliding panes.

Oh and almost forgot, got an used chrome front bumper with the little bumper guards from my father in law last weekend. Unfortunately the bumper and guards don't have perfect chrome..they are speckled but not rusty... I need to get a couple of brackets and carriage bolts to mount them up... They will get the job done for now until I build my deer-proof wrecker bumper. It will be bad-arse, I promise. I can't wait to get that built and installed!

But anyway, I snapped a couple of pics today of how she sits as well as my freshly painted visor....

DohcBikes
04-24-2014, 07:20 PM
Damn she's lookin mean!! The visor will be a nice addition

RIDE-RED 250r
04-24-2014, 08:21 PM
Thank you Sir! :beer

BTW: I don't know if I updated this... But I figured out I do NOT have a Big 10. They never made a K-10 Big 10. The K-10 was already over 6000 GVWR as-is and the f44 package was not offered for it. Just thought I would clarify and correct my misinformation. In fact, some of you may have posted eluding to that fact and that caused me to dig deeper... Still very happy with the old beast regardless... :)

RIDE-RED 250r
04-26-2014, 09:14 PM
Well, did a little more tinkering today. I got a descent OEM front bumper and bumper guards from my father in law last weekend. I installed those today and put a pair of 4" fog lights on. After seeing this setup, I am REALLY considering sticking with this and putting the wrecker bumper on the back burner. I like this look ALOT.

What do you guys think??

Planning on installing my visor tomorrow!

Will post pics if I do. Wish me luck, I'm a little nervous about drilling holes in the cab! :eek:

RIDE-RED 250r
04-27-2014, 09:04 PM
Well, I got my fog lights wired and functional.. And the visor project was a success!! :D

I'll tell you what, taking a drill to the cab of your truck is pretty nerve racking... Making sure the holes are marked just right, running the wiring for the clearance lamps in the visor, testing to make sure they work... All said and done, it's on, the lights work, and I LOVE the look it gives my old K-10! I didn't really do much to it the last couple of days, but boy did those couple parts I added change the look of the truck completely...

What do you guys think??

Stonewall
04-27-2014, 10:35 PM
Nice!! I love the way those visors look on these old trucks. I need to find one for my Suburban.

DohcBikes
04-28-2014, 09:07 PM
Awww dude!! the visor is bringing back steamy watercolor memories lol.....retro life :cool:..,,,

Love the front bumperettes, I would not go to a cow catcher if it were mine...very hot rod looking as is:beer.

DohcBikes
04-28-2014, 09:12 PM
Oh ya forgot to say, its probably best if you just go ahead and build a 454 for it now. There's no reason to wait. 6-700 horsepower should be fine, make sure to post pics and thanks in advance.

:D

RIDE-RED 250r
04-28-2014, 09:30 PM
Awww dude!! the visor is bringing back steamy watercolor memories lol.....retro life :cool:..,,,

Love the front bumperettes, I would not go to a cow catcher if it were mine...very hot rod looking as is:beer.

I'll tell you one thing, seeing this setup of the old OEM chrome bumper along with the bumperettes is really giving me cause to switch gears. I LOVE a big beefy cow catcher setup, but this classic look has me putting that idea well on the back burner. Unfortunately, the chrome on this bumper and the little bumperettes has begun to get pitted. No brown rust, but I won't be able to restore the finish. I'm really thinking about sticking with this setup and getting a brand new bumper and bumperettes from LMC Truck.

The 454?? Well, father in law DOES have one with a B&M huffer on it. Only problem is that his builder did something not quite right. Either ring gaps too tight or static compression ratio was a tad too high. The engine ran but would tighten up when driven a few miles. The father in law is an old school expert on these things, but that was his first blower and I think he was the victim of some misguided "help" years ago when he got the blower.

I have been trying to find a way to get my hands on that big block and blower for my truck... He is a horse trader from waaay back... He says that blown rat would be fun in a truck like mine but it would turn my truck "inside out".. LOL! His truck is a quad cab chassis with 1t axles.... It has been sitting with a bad th400 for a couple years now. He is 62 years old and is running out of ambition/energy for such projects, despite my insistence that I would help him get it done. If he still has everything for sale a year from now, I will probably end up buying it from him....

Only thing as addictive as trikes are square bodies!