PDA

View Full Version : Open for discussion

Billy Golightly
02-18-2014, 07:29 PM
Please feel free to make comments, post thoughts/ideas and things related to this project - thanks

Daddio
02-18-2014, 08:38 PM
I would be happy to help out as much as I can with this. I have a decent HD video camera and a couple digital cameras that will also record HD video. I put in for my vacation today. I should be there Wed. the 18th. :Bounce
Can we use video from previous years?:wondering

slashfan7964
02-18-2014, 08:57 PM
I think someone should write up a questionnaire about why we like them and do what we do, and why things like this are important. Then we could each film ourselves answer said questions (almost like an interview without the interviewer) on film for various usage throughout the film. Fortunately, my iPod films in HD.

I could come up with some questions and put them in a formal document for everyone and then add whatever you guys think is necessary.

Billy Golightly
02-18-2014, 09:37 PM
I would be happy to help out as much as I can with this. I have a decent HD video camera and a couple digital cameras that will also record HD video. I put in for my vacation today. I should be there Wed. the 18th. :Bounce
Can we use video from previous years?:wondering

Doug will have to chime in here, but I think as long as its never been posted publicly anywhere, I think so.

atc007
02-18-2014, 09:53 PM
I wish you guys the very best with this. I "feel" your vision,and for me, these are THE best kind of films. Good luck to all!

slashfan7964
02-18-2014, 09:59 PM
I have some questions based on the overall production of this film, as I would very much like to be a part of it. I am taking this very seriously.

1. What's the deal with signing a release for use of footage? How are we getting these papers? Are we going to give our address to you or Doug and then get them in the mail and send them back?

2. I also notices Doug wants 1080p footage. The only capture device I have, being an iPod Touch 4th gen, records in 720p. Is this going to be an issue?

3. If you submit content that doesn't get used, are you still credited for participation and development?

Daddio
02-18-2014, 11:14 PM
Doug will have to chime in here, but I think as long as its never been posted publicly anywhere, I think so.

Well that would be pretty hard for me to come up anything good. I usually always post my best stuff first. I do have some really good stuff from my last few TF adventures.....but it's all been seen. I could still look and see if I left anything out.

That's ok though. I'm sure this year will produce it's share of good footage. I'm ready!!!

Kintore
02-19-2014, 11:49 AM
I have already started filming, Im just going to cut and paste all of my video onto DVDRW. They are 5 GB each.

Doug, I would be more than happy to wear a gopro for the MX. I plan on running Open on my 450 and semi-suspended on my 185s. Im currently building my motor on my kitchen table and will film the whole rebuild/resurrection in the garage.

MIK6
02-19-2014, 11:59 AM
Ill start filming the setup swap post icefest.. im just going to buy a new sim card, ill use it in my gopro and my digi cam..

start w... icefest is over, TF prep starts now! Swap studded setup off and fix stuff I broke lol
plus im building an auto ATC70 as a camp cruiser..

Dammit!
02-20-2014, 12:36 AM
There's legal weirdness with previously used footage when it comes to a couple things I have in mind. It's probably not as big a deal as I make it out to be but I'd rather just remove any possibility of it being an issue. It's one of those situations where I just don't want to end up saying, if we hadn't used this, we could have done that, kinda things. Make sense? Just forward thinking insurance.

Regarding participation credit: Everybody that attends is going to be in the closing credits (the list will be taken from the sign in sheet). Anybody who has footage in the movie will be properly credited to the most accurate degree possible. Matter of fact I'll probably post a list of credits before finalizing the cut so everybody can have a look and see if I missed anything. Everyone who submits footage will get a mention of some kind wether it's used or not. In addition to that, I'm hoping to find a way to put something together with a lot of the unused footage anyway. Got a couple ideas for it. As for the signing of a release, we hope to have as much of that done as possible at trikefest. Once I know for sure what footage is going to be used I'll check it against who has signed and who hasn't so I can get that sorted before locking down the edit. And about your iPod. Yeah go ahead and use it. We're unfortunately going to be using a lot of 720p footage anyway. A lot of the action stuff has to be shot that way on some of the cameras. I don't want anyone thinking they can't get in on this because of what they have to record with but 720p has to be the absolute minimum.

Interview questions: We're already on top of that. Most of the interviewing is probably going to happen at trikefest but there are a few things along those lines that I'd like to get from people that are willing to do it. More details to come on that.

Dammit!
02-20-2014, 12:41 AM
I will be repeating this to the point of it being annoying but, guys seriously feel free to film anything you want and let me look at it. I just need the raw footage. Nothing edited (except for maybe a time-lapse or something of that nature).

We're looking into ways you can upload your footage to me as we go so we can see what you're up to, see if it sparks any ideas for more or maybe offer suggestions for making things look better or something.

Here's something for everybody to remember through all of this. Nobody is going to make our movie for us. We have to do it. Not just me or Billy. It's going to be a group effort. From filming your own behind the scenes that we've been talking about to helping out at the event. I think it's going to turn out badass because... well that's just what we do, right?

slashfan7964
02-20-2014, 04:23 PM
Regarding participation credit: Everybody that attends is going to be in the closing credits (the list will be taken from the sign in sheet). Anybody who has footage in the movie will be properly credited to the most accurate degree possible. Matter of fact I'll probably post a list of credits before finalizing the cut so everybody can have a look and see if I missed anything. Everyone who submits footage will get a mention of some kind wether it's used or not. In addition to that, I'm hoping to find a way to put something together with a lot of the unused footage anyway. Got a couple ideas for it.

I figured you'd work something out like this. Fantastic!

As for the signing of a release, we hope to have as much of that done as possible at trikefest.

Say one of us can't make it, but some of his footage still gets used. How would that work? (Not saying this will happen but there's always that chance something happens).

Once I know for sure what footage is going to be used I'll check it against who has signed and who hasn't so I can get that sorted before locking down the edit.

Sounds like a plan!

And about your iPod. Yeah go ahead and use it. We're unfortunately going to be using a lot of 720p footage anyway. A lot of the action stuff has to be shot that way on some of the cameras. I don't want anyone thinking they can't get in on this because of what they have to record with but 720p has to be the absolute minimum.

Alright I am on it. I'm currently trying to get something worked out where I do a sit down, and a give a brief overview about how I got into trikes.

Interview questions: We're already on top of that. Most of the interviewing is probably going to happen at trikefest but there are a few things along those lines that I'd like to get from people that are willing to do it. More details to come on that.

Sounds good!

We're looking into ways you can upload your footage to me as we go so we can see what you're up to, see if it sparks any ideas for more or maybe offer suggestions for making things look better or something.

I mentioned something over in the other thread, though not sure if you all saw it. I suggest zipping the files and uploading them to a hosting site where you guys could download them and unzip them. Once you confirm you have the files we could take them down.

Here's something for everybody to remember through all of this. Nobody is going to make our movie for us. We have to do it. Not just me or Billy. It's going to be a group effort. From filming your own behind the scenes that we've been talking about to helping out at the event. I think it's going to turn out badass because... well that's just what we do, right?

I'll try my best!!!

Dammit!
02-20-2014, 08:09 PM
I can't see what use I'd have for footage from someone who doesn't attend the event. I'd have to see what it is and what the context is before knowing if there's a way to incorporate it. My gut feeling is I'm going to have my hands very full trying to get pieces of as many submissions in there as possible so I'd honestly probably cut anything submitted from someone who isn't there but who the hell knows. Submit anything. Edit: Anything Trikefest related that is.

This user submitted footage from BEFORE Trikefest will only make up a small amount of screen time. Most of what you'll see will be filmed AT Trikefest. I'll be wanting as many submissions as possible from that whole week from anyone who wants to submit anything. GoPro footage, 720p or better cellphone or camcorder footage. As much as I can get my hands on. Of the events, of happenings in camp, pranks, partying, whatever. Anything and everything that happens there is fair game. I can't really ride much these days so I'll just be roaming around filming pretty much constantly but I can only catch so much of it by myself. While everyone is there, anybody who feels like getting out a camera and doing an impromtu interview with someone, go for it! Going out on a ride with just a small group? Record it! Participating in an event? Record it! You never know it might end up being a highlight. I will have hard drives on site to copy files as well. Just bring your memory cards to wherever my camp is and I'll copy them right there on the spot.

It isn't possible to have TOO MUCH footage is what I'm getting at. A ton is going to get cut out anyway but the more I have to pick from the better it's going to turn out.

SUPERBEAST
02-20-2014, 09:01 PM
what about putting the footage that you don't use on another dvd and make it a bonus dvd or something, like extras, trike builds, behind the scenes, bonus footage, lost footage....etc, something of that nature, like a 2 disc dvd set, maybe 3 if you have more footage than expected

slashfan7964
02-20-2014, 09:17 PM
what about putting the footage that you don't use on another dvd and make it a bonus dvd or something, like extras, trike builds, behind the scenes, bonus footage, lost footage....etc, something of that nature, like a 2 disc dvd set, maybe 3 if you have more footage than expected

I like this idea. What if we turned all that extra footage into a YouTube TV show or something? And then just keep filming so we can make seasons etc? That would be kinda cool.

fabiodriven
03-02-2014, 05:06 PM
I'm going to have to get myself a nice camera, the phone isn't going to cut it. I don't know anything about any of this stuff so I'm coming from a fairly ignorant standpoint here.

My first thought was GoPro but I've heard of more than one person having trouble with downloading footage. Whether it was them or the machine I do not know, but simple is good to me.

I stopped in at Radio Shack and they had a "Midland" camera that looked like an overgrown GoPro and was a lot cheaper. It's 1080 as well.

There were also some Nikon cameras, just regular cameras though, and one was on sale for $80 from $110. It was a 2500 or something. There was also a Nikon for $200. Suggestions?

Billy Golightly
03-02-2014, 07:21 PM
John the GoPro's are easy to get video from...they just don't play on old computers if you record in the 1080p setting because it takes a lot of computing power to play it properly. Pretty much anything that records in 1080 will be good enough. You can get a silver edition GoPro now for about $300 and they take real good video as well, I have one. Even the old original ones, or what they call the "White Edition" now a days does good footage. Pretty much everything I shot at Hernando for years was with a version 1.

fabiodriven
03-02-2014, 10:09 PM
Very good William. So any kind of compact "GoPro-esque" is the way to go I'm guessing, or better than a regular camera anyways. I kind of figured that.

Dammit!
03-03-2014, 12:34 AM
Best kind of camera really depends on how you intend to use it. GoPro's are awesome for action shots. They do well for just sitting in a corner and recording an entire area due to the wide FOV. Pretty durable and all that. But, they suck if you want something you can use as a traditional camcorder. The sound isn't good (much better when used out of the case but then the camera is very vulnerable). Picture quality is outstanding for what they cost though. I'm obviously a huge fan.

For filming people having conversations or anything along those lines, GoPro is not the right choice. You can pop them out of the case and get a shot here and there and occasionally have some useable sound with your footage but they're just not well suited to that task. You also have to get the camera pretty close to the person you're filming with a GoPro. No zoom and super wide FOV. Everything looks far away (this is awesome for filming in cramped quarters though, assuming there's enough light).

Photo cameras that also shoot video can produce stunningly good looking footage. A majority of what this movie will be made from will be shot on Canon DSLR cameras. However, they're the most complicated to use and cumbersome to wield on the run.

A regular camcorder is still the best way to go for a lot of different types of things. Filming your travels, filming the goings on at your camp, filming an event from the sideline, all those tasks are far better suited to some type of camcorder instead of a GoPro or photo camera. Something with a good zoom, a decent mic, a light. Those are still the most versatile. You just can't strap them to your head.

iPhones shoot incredibly good video but have major limitations. No optical zoom being a big one. Very bad rolling shutter is the other. With an iPhone it's imperative to hold it as still as possible or it will get a kind of wavy jello effect on the footage. All digital cameras do it to an extent but iPhones are pretty noticeable. Awesome for a quick shot here or there or when a shot can be staged. With a little effort you'd be shocked what can be done with them.

Billy Golightly
03-03-2014, 09:51 AM
Canon has some nice refurbed camcorders on their site too - cheaper than a GoPro and like Doug said, will have zoom;

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/camcorders/refurbished-consumer-camcorders

fabiodriven
03-03-2014, 12:38 PM
Ok, great guys. Certainly a lot to consider. Maybe where Steve already has the GoPro I'll look into the regular camera.

JasonB
03-03-2014, 02:07 PM
I shot about 2 hours on saturday of my group doing a 250r assembly and some other junk all at once with my gopro. its been uploaded to the google drive; when Billy and Doug get a chance to look some of the vids over let me know what I could do different to help the cause!