PDA

View Full Version : No spark needhelp

tbren2
02-19-2014, 12:00 AM
I have a 1983 honda atc 200e big red and it has no spark. bypassedthe killswitch and ignition switch and still nothing. Replaced the starter solenoid and the starter relay and still nothing. checked continuity and everything and everything checks out. coil is good but i still have nothing. this trike has been sitting awhile but it has great compression and everything works great just wont start and run. Any tips or ideas on what it might be?

kb0nly
02-19-2014, 02:48 AM
The starter solenoid and relay have nothing to do with spark, but good job on checking everything.

The most common problem on these 200's is a bad CDI unit. See it over and over on here and myself fixing them. The only components you need to worry about for spark is the source coil, they have one coil for the lighting and battery charging and one for ignition the ignition system is completely separate of the DC system on these, then the pulse generator, the CDI, and the spark coil. The spark coil is something hardly anyone ends up replacing, but remove the spark plug boot and clip of say 1/4" of the plug wire and then screw it back on so you know its a good connection, you can do the same to the plug wire on the coil end. Also get a new plug just to rule that out as well!

As for testing further, if you have a basic test light, one with a bulb not an LED, that works great to test the output of the ignition source coil, otherwise a voltmeter set to AC and you can test it. If you got output from the coil while cranking over then you know its the one of the other parts left. The pulse gen can be tested with a test light also. Good idea to pop that cover off, the one on the head that says CDI on it, and check the advancer and pulse gen pickup coil. You can check its output for a pulsed signal with a test light, little harder with a voltmeter because its quick pulses but the voltmeter would at least show there is an output to the CDI unit.

Beyond that it could just be a bad CDI. If you need the service manual its available on my website, link in my signature below. It has good troubleshooting steps for going through the ignition system as well.

tri again
02-20-2014, 06:43 PM
Not sure about that model but I think the 200x
ground in the kill switch is also the ground that makes the cdi work
so disconnecting the kill ground may be counterproductive.

tbren2
02-21-2014, 12:09 AM
hooked everything back up and still nothing. cleaning cdi parts right now and will check spark tomorrow again.

tri again
02-21-2014, 12:52 AM
Did you get the manual amd wire diagram from KB?
I haven't looked at one in a while but I replaced a wire harness
only to admit the old one was probably ok but because I
had to go through EVERY connection, it magically worked.

Great machines. You're gonna love it. Hang in there.
You'll get it. We always do.

tbren2
02-21-2014, 04:49 PM
i do have the wiring diagram and manual already. and i will check that today. thanks. i love the things too and i have another atc70 that i will get to work on today.

tbren2
02-26-2014, 04:27 PM
redid the ground cable from the battery. wired in a new headlight switch and killswitch. still no spark. but had headlights and taillights. disconnected the killswitch. and what do you know. SPARK. she sparks like no other now. and she fired up. doesnt idle too well but it is sucking air through carb. replaced gasket and she runs like new. after sitting for that long she sounds a little old but she runs!!