PDA

View Full Version : tire choices for woods riding?

j@y
02-19-2014, 12:13 PM
I'm gathering parts for my upcoming 250r build and need some help on tire selection. I know what to run on a quad for trails but don't know if the same applies to trikes. I'll be running a 10" front and 9" rears so the choices are endless lol

tri again
02-20-2014, 06:15 PM
wow, good question.
Woods trails?
Ply number may be important depending on rocks and other pokers.
Weight may also be a factor for you.
I personally like open patterns that throw mud out and more of a flatter profile since I'm old and tippy already.
Search key may give you more info than you want and usually confuses me
more than before I start.
Is ground clearance an issue?

bigmac
02-21-2014, 11:19 AM
If I was you I'd run a wooly booger pattern or holeshot hd's or mudlites

dirtydeeds
02-23-2014, 11:18 PM
I'm going to try AMS slingshots on my 350X.
Don't know much about them other than they're way less than ITPs.

barnett468
02-24-2014, 03:11 AM
Hello;

The thread below has a lot of info and tire options.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/165299-350x-tires

I would NOT use tires with a tread pattern like wooly buggers, mud lites or slingshots, those are more for mud and sand riding although some might like them for the woods.

If a tire comes in different hardnesses [durometers] i would use a medium or harder compound, NOT a soft one.

6 ply tires are typically more puncture resistant then tires with fewer plies, however ,if you ride mildly aggressively or more, I would not use them. They give a slightly hard ride imo and are heavy. I would use 3 or 4 plies but never 2.

dougspcs
02-24-2014, 11:12 AM
Jay, just go with your gut..

If it felt good on a quad, it'll work on a trike.

I personally prefer the relative tameness of the 350X over the 250R, but for my trike I love the Mudlites on the mixed terrain riding..a good balance for the sport machines.

A bit of aggression to the tread without the weight of most of the 6 ply tires.

250rRoostmaster
02-24-2014, 12:43 PM
Can't go wrong with holeshots..

trike savior
02-24-2014, 03:27 PM
its roughly the same between 3-4 wheeler tires. the farther off the trail you go the more aggressive tire you need. since it is a 250r and will be doing some fast riding, some huge heavy mudders with giant lugs are not what you need unless you go off the trail a lot. if you stay on the trail, even if it has some muddy areas and small trees to cross, a light tire like hole shot's with small mugs will serve you well.

86125m
02-24-2014, 04:33 PM
Personly I like a simple tire like a duro nabi tire. That should fine for riding in the woods. go to rockey mountain atv and look at there selection from duro they have one that looks almost identical to the original tires for your bike.

The_Steve_Man
02-24-2014, 09:50 PM
I really like these.
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/723/31258/STI-Tech-4-XC-ATV-Tire

dirtydeeds
02-24-2014, 10:36 PM
I would NOT use tires with a tread pattern like wooly buggers, mud lites or slingshots, those are more for mud and sand riding although some might like them for the woods.

If a tire comes in different hardnesses [durometers] i would use a medium or harder compound, NOT a soft one.

I guess it depends on the trails in your 'woods'.
Our trails generally have mud of any number of varieties, sand, more mud and in the mountains; rocks on the top of hills and deep mud at the bottom. I don't ever recall riding on dry hard pack trails in my local area, except when we're on ice. That's a different battle all together though.

motox40
02-24-2014, 11:15 PM
I have spyder trax on my 350x and let me tell you they are rough. They are good for snow. Cant wait for the snow to be gone so I can go back to oem.

ATC90JAY
02-24-2014, 11:33 PM
I have Kenda Klaws and I ride them in snow, Woods & Mud and they are nice.....

j@y
02-28-2014, 10:18 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. I know on the quads we run maxxis razr2s on the front and razrs on the rear but I think I'm going to try out some kenda claw xc's. I'll be riding places like moto mountain and durhamtown in GA