PDA

View Full Version : 200e grinding starter

toro8
02-19-2014, 12:47 PM
Hi I have a new to me 200e. The recoil spring broke ordered a new one. But when I use the electric starter it grinds and disengages sounds bad. I downloaded the manual but I still have a simple wuestion. To pull the left engine cover do I need to remove the pulley boss or will the seal slide over it? Does the boss just pull off by hand or does it need a puller? Thanks John near KC

cap
02-19-2014, 09:18 PM
Did you sure its not just the starter?

toro8
02-20-2014, 12:03 AM
Did you sure its not just the starter?

I pulled the starter cleaned the commutator runs smooth and quiet. I can hear the grinding under the cover. Thanks for the reply

kb0nly
02-20-2014, 12:36 AM
Its the starter one way clutch behind the flywheel, i would almost guarantee it. Been there done that on a few of them, including my 200ES.

To get the cover off you have to remove the pulley that the recoil engages, just remove the bolt in the center its a standard bolt not left hand or anything, then pull the recoil pulley out off the end of the flywheel and crank, its just the bolt that holds it on the end. Then you can unbolt and remove the cover, watch out, all the starter reduction gears and shafts like to pull out with the cover, and there is thrust washers in places as well, etc.

Now to actually replace the one way starter clutch you have to remove the flywheel from the crankshaft, for that you need a puller which is nothing more than a metric bolt you screw into the end of the flywheel to pop it off the crank.

toro8
02-20-2014, 02:12 AM
Super that is what I needed to know. Sounds pretty straight forward. I am looking at a set of gears, shafts, one way clutch on ebay.Thanks

kb0nly
02-21-2014, 01:49 PM
Most likely you just need that one way clutch, the springs that hold the rollers in place break and then the rollers just randomly grab instead of getting forced into place with motion like they should. Check your flywheel magnets for any bits of metal, last two that i did had shrapnel from the one way clutch stuck to the outside of the flywheel because the magnets caught them.

Holland
03-27-2018, 11:02 PM
I know this is old thread but was it a clanking or grinding?

mendoAu
03-29-2018, 03:04 AM
It was probably a real distinct clunk...once you hear it you never forget what it sounds like. Those one way clutch's are a piece of art but can cause problems with wearing out.