PDA

View Full Version : 1982 honda atc tire questions

Mecsey33
02-22-2014, 02:55 PM
Hello, I just recently purchase a 1982 honda 185s and 110. All the tires are dry rotted and flat so I'm replacing all of them. My questions is about the front split rim and do I need to run tubes in the front? Can the tire be removed without splitting the wheel with a machine?

webbch
02-22-2014, 04:16 PM
You need to split the rim to install the new tire, so may as well split it when removing the old one IMO. There's an o-ring that you'll want to replace, and clean the mating surface real good. No need to install tubes IMO.

kb0nly
02-22-2014, 05:56 PM
Installing a tube though is a lot easier than taking it apart three or four times when it keeps going flat... LOL

Get a tube with a TR6 tall 90 degree valve stem. This is the type that bolts into the valvestem hole and has a long angled valvestem to make it easier to air it up. I know a lot of guys don't like tubes, usual arguments are getting stuck somewhere on a trail with a hole in the tire and the tube... i guess thats a valid argument if you carry an air compressor and a plug kit with you all the time to patch up the tubeless tire as well, but plugs are only temporary and your going to have to pull it apart later to do a proper patch job on the inside. A flat tire is a flat tire ya know?

If i had to i could patch a tubed tire in the middle of nowhere as well, would just take a bit longer to remove the wheel and split it. I would rather limp it out and deal with the flat later... LOL