PDA

View Full Version : Hello

tiggy
02-23-2014, 07:59 PM
New old school fellow here, Registered some time ago but never posted.
I remember the first time I ever saw a trike was when my friends and myself were up in the "pits" riding and my friend who worked at a Honda shop showed up with a brand new 350x - nice looking machine but he could not get to most of the places we would ride to so he got rid of it. I think he only had it for a month or so. Ever since I saw that trike tho I always wanted to try one.
I started on a Kaw 100 in the early 70's, went to a Suzuki RM125 [fantastic machine] in the mid 70's , then a YZ 400 , Honda XR500 and finally a YZ 490 -that was a RIDE. Raced a little locally, hillclimbs at Little Widowmaker back when Vesco's sponsored a few.
Cops used to chase me and my buddies as we would ride our bikes on the street to get to the "pits" - they never did catch us - they even purchased a Yamaha TT Thumper but they never stood a chance. Fearlessness, youth and adrenaline - That was the good old days.
Don't own any bikes anymore - have a chinese wheeler for the wife and I have a built 240 Blaster I've owned since new in '92.
Anyways bought a '85 200X last october and have pretty much finished fixing/restoring it. That kickstarter slipping problem was a real pain - almost made me want to dump the complete trike.
This site was a great help in my endeavors to bring the 200X back to life - although the wife did not really appreciate the trike being in the basement for rebuilding - to cold in the garage - she has been a great sport about it!
Weather is getting nicer here so hopefully won't be long until the wife and I can get out in the desert and do some riding.
A bit longwinded but thanx for reading.

YTZ drew
02-23-2014, 11:22 PM
Welcome aboard! Your mention of the YZ400 and 490 really got my attention, I have an IT425 that I'm rebuilding, and just picked up a 200x (like I need another project). Anyway, keep enjoying that 200x!

JasonB
02-24-2014, 01:04 PM
welcome to the boards!

Outlaw #24
02-24-2014, 02:17 PM
Tiggy you sound like you would love being on 3Wheels! The 1st 3 wheeler I had was a 185s and My wife didn't like it in the basement either (Also to cold). That was in the early eighties! Welcome to 3 Wheeler World !

tiggy
02-24-2014, 07:06 PM
Thanx for the welcome everyone!
YTZ- I sure do remember the IT's , us kids would hang out at Vesco's Yamaha and drool over the new bikes - never forget the blue IT's. That should be a nice bike when your done restoring it. I've been on the lookout for the 200 but they are rare as hen's teeth - around here anyways.

Jasonb - thanx for the welcome!

Outlaw#24 - I'm thinking I will like the trikes! I can see where it could lead to an "addiction" to own a few more!

Heres a pic of my '85 200X:

and my Blaster 240

Thanx for looking

YTZ drew
02-24-2014, 09:52 PM
That is one NICE 200X! Mine doesn't look anything like that ( at least not yet...)

Daniel86
02-27-2014, 05:37 PM
Hello and welcome to the site from middle TN!

250Racer
03-03-2014, 09:32 AM
Nice pics and welcome!!! And I agree fearlessness=young age

toro8
03-03-2014, 05:15 PM
Welcome, age and wisdom make for great 3 wheeling. John Near KC

DohcBikes
03-03-2014, 05:32 PM
Can we get details on the build? Nice X. Chain tensioner details?

tiggy
03-03-2014, 08:30 PM
I picked the trike up for $300, it ran ok but smoked some and was missing the right footpeg and the kickstarter and seat cover was gone. It had some aftermarket stuff on it tho - the chain tensioner, supertrapp exhaust system, 28mm mikuni flatslide carb and a different swingarm skidplate and tank scoops.
I ended up stripping the trike completely and re-painting everything almost. Replaced all bearings and seals except for the frame/triple tree bearings and fork seals - the fork seals appeared to have been replaced before and steering brgs/race just needed cleaned and re-lubed.
The motor I was into probably 3 times [splitting the cases] to try and fix the slipping kickstarter - I ended up re-facing\back cutting the teeth on the kickstart ratchet and main gear kickstart teeth and have experienced no more problems. The return spring was also broke and I had to put a new bend to the end of it.
I bought a complete big red 200cc engine for $50 from a guy locally after I measured the bore which was standard and in great shape so I honed it and put it on the trike with a new 200x piston and rings.
I put a stock carb back on it and new seat cover although I wish I would have got a better fitting one. I had to heat up the seat pan and bend it back down towards the tank - I guess this is somewhat common thing for this model?
The plastics were faded and I tried about everything to get them better as I did not want to paint them but nothing worked so I took a propane torch and heated the plastic - you have to be very careful but it works great - the color really came back - not perfect but much better than anything else I tried.

I'm probably into the trike for $800 total roughly, not to bad as it's completely gone thru now. The tank has some dent's but from what I've seen most of them do!

I don't know anything about the make of the chain tensioner and nothing about the aluminum tank scoops but they are larger than the stock ones.

If you would like to see pix of anything in particular let me know and I will get them - except for the kickstart gears - I hope to not split the cases again in my lifetime!!

tiggy
03-03-2014, 08:34 PM
Oh, also lapped the valves and new valve and guide seals, maybe a few other things I don't remember right now.

Mrs Outlaw #24
03-04-2014, 09:44 PM
Hello and welcome to the site. Enjoy!!

skjr001
03-05-2014, 09:22 AM
Welcome to the forum!