PDA

View Full Version : Swing arm suggestions 86 250r

Sddoublee
02-24-2014, 01:36 PM
My son and I have been racing the hills at Gordon's well a lot. I have the atc he has a trx. Both 86 250r's. I generally win but can't keep my front end down to be able to beat him over the whoops. I would like to get an extended swing arm to give me any advantage I can get. Any suggestions for brand and length of extended swing arm? thanks!

barnett468
02-25-2014, 01:31 AM
hello;

is this in sand?

what type of tires do you have, knobbies or paddle type?

do yoi do much tight turning?

you will get a ton of opinions but in general, for all around type riding i like a 2" longer arm and 3" max. some would consider this to be too little and prefer 4 " - 6" longer.

a longer arm increases your turning radius and weight on the front wheel which means less traction on the rear.

you also need to stiffen your rear suspension a bit to compensate for the increase in leverage ratio.

if i was going through the desert in a straight line at 75 mph like the baja 1000 race, i would definitely want at least a 4" longer arm but i don't do that type of riding.

that bike works well as an overall package as designed. this is why they designed it the way they did but i think in general it can benefit from a slightly longer arm, just not a 10" one unless you only do hill climbs etc., lol.

250rRoostmaster
02-25-2014, 11:29 AM
I agree, 2-3" for most cases if you still plan on general play riding

JasonB
02-25-2014, 11:35 AM
i have a plus 6 on my 86 250r, its too long if you ask me. I just swapped back over to a 450r 07 swinger which is stock length for our machines. shoot for a +2 or 3 like roostmaster suggested. I have trouble riding my bike in trails and all around with the +6, its fun to shoot hills with but its just too long for carving like I tried to use it for. a rebuilt rear shock and refreshed front shocks will help you soak up the whoops faster on stock length swinger too, just a thought. I ran a metal tech swinger, they are out of arizona and it was right around 400 bucks for my 6 over

Jason125m
02-25-2014, 04:29 PM
I have a +3 on mine and I love it. Great for climbing but still great for trail riding.