PDA

View Full Version : 200s clutch

AIR_RIDER
02-25-2014, 01:34 AM
I was looking on ebay for a clutch kit for my 200s and i was just curious if anyone has used EBC and if they were any good or not. Also they don't come with new springs not sure if i should buy some or if i can reuse the old ones?

barnett468
02-25-2014, 07:48 AM
hello;

don't know about ebc, however, you can buy orig plates new from http://cmsnl.com or possibly partzila which will be cheaper.

barnett might have them also.

dougspcs
02-25-2014, 09:11 AM
Do realize that there are two sets of clutches in there..

The 1st of which is the centrifugal, this is the clutch that does your initial engagement from standing stop..usually when it's worn there is a clear slipping on takeoff. Here is a pic of them for reference.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Honda-ATC-200M-200-centrifugal-wet-clutch-/291003738956?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c12cab4c&vxp=mtr

2nd is the traditional manual clutch. This is the one that engages/disengages by applying pressure on the shifter during the gear changes. The usual complaint when these are worn is slipping under load in higher gears when load on the clutches is greatest. Pic to illustrate..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLUTCH-ASSY-HONDA-ATC185-ATC200-ATC-185-200-BASKETS-PLATES-/380847322926?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58ac44f72e&vxp=mtr

But before you cut into everything, recheck the clutch adjustment as per the manual. Simply having the clutch adjuster loaded up too much could be causing the slippage without any pressure on the shifter.

Lastly the whole 'wet-clutch' oil discussion..since many car oils have friction enhancers to reduce engine wear, if this is what you are using in your trike could be a contributing factor. If this is what you have in the crankcase or are uncertain perhaps go out to your local parts store and buy a couple quarts of ATV or Motorcycle oil since both are correct for wet-clutch application.

Change the oil, check and adjust the clutch as per the manual and ride it for a couple days to see if your symptoms go away..you may not need clutches at all.

I bought a Yamaha 200e last year and the seller said the clutches were worn out..got a good deal on it too. Anyway took it home and did that very thing, after a about an hour of gentle riding to let the new oil work into the clutches it was fine..

AIR_RIDER
02-26-2014, 05:44 AM
Thank you that's very helpful. It only really slips at a high rpm in 4th and starts slipping in 5th about when i hit half throttle or if i tap the throttle a little to fast. But from take off and the lower gears it seems fine. Idk if i can ajust to fix that or if the disks need to be replaced?

barnett468
02-26-2014, 06:35 AM
Thank you that's very helpful. It only really slips at a high rpm in 4th and starts slipping in 5th about when i hit half throttle or if i tap the throttle a little to fast. But from take off and the lower gears it seems fine. Idk if i can ajust to fix that or if the disks need to be replaced?Hello AIR_RIDER;

I would try to adjust first as dougspcs suggested since it is fast, easy, and FREE, however, I would not hold my breath.

Adjust it so the shifter has around 3/8" of "play" in both directions before it suddenly feels hard.

It could be either clutch. One option is to remove and clean the main clutch discs and measure them and the springs per manual. If the plates are in spec, sand the metal plates lightly with around 400 grit sandpaper. Reassemble and install one “AN” flat washer on each spring to increase the preload.

Use motorcycle oil as dougspcs suggested from a motorcycle store or valvoline motorcycle or atv oil from the auto parts store.
If it still slips it is likely the centrifugal clutch.

free orig online manuals. click on blue line after window opens.

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

AIR_RIDER
02-26-2014, 07:15 AM
Alright i will give that a shot first. Thanks for the help i appreciate it.

barnett468
02-26-2014, 08:12 AM
Alright i will give that a shot first. Thanks for the help i appreciate it.No prob, we're happy to give free bad advice. Good catch by dougspcs to mention both clutches.

FYI – If you ever replace the centrifugal clutch shoes, check the surface of the inside of the hub. It should be perfectly smooth. The shoes have grooves in them when new and after time these grooves create ridges on the inside of the hub. If the ridges are more than around .010” - .015” high, I would either buy a new hub or weld and machine the orig. If the ridges are small, the new clutch should wear in quickly with no prob but if they are big they could cause problems. If you use the orig hub I would sand it also when installing new shoes. Some people might think this is too anal, lol.

machineman89
02-20-2015, 01:31 PM
Do realize that there are two sets of clutches in there..

The 1st of which is the centrifugal, this is the clutch that does your initial engagement from standing stop..usually when it's worn there is a clear slipping on takeoff. Here is a pic of them for reference.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Honda-ATC-200M-200-centrifugal-wet-clutch-/291003738956?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c12cab4c&vxp=mtr

2nd is the traditional manual clutch. This is the one that engages/disengages by applying pressure on the shifter during the gear changes. The usual complaint when these are worn is slipping under load in higher gears when load on the clutches is greatest. Pic to illustrate..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLUTCH-ASSY-HONDA-ATC185-ATC200-ATC-185-200-BASKETS-PLATES-/380847322926?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58ac44f72e&vxp=mtr

But before you cut into everything, recheck the clutch adjustment as per the manual. Simply having the clutch adjuster loaded up too much could be causing the slippage without any pressure on the shifter.

Lastly the whole 'wet-clutch' oil discussion..since many car oils have friction enhancers to reduce engine wear, if this is what you are using in your trike could be a contributing factor. If this is what you have in the crankcase or are uncertain perhaps go out to your local parts store and buy a couple quarts of ATV or Motorcycle oil since both are correct for wet-clutch application.

Change the oil, check and adjust the clutch as per the manual and ride it for a couple days to see if your symptoms go away..you may not need clutches at all.

I bought a Yamaha 200e last year and the seller said the clutches were worn out..got a good deal on it too. Anyway took it home and did that very thing, after a about an hour of gentle riding to let the new oil work into the clutches it was fine..

i am having both issue, up in 4th to 5th gear slipping and from take off, can barely try to ride a wheelie any more, condition degraded real quick too, using castrol synthetic for ATVs and bikes and its been ran rather hard a season, guessing both clutchs are shot?