PDA

View Full Version : I am OFFICIALLY the WORST TIG welder in the world.....

Dirtcrasher
02-26-2014, 12:02 AM
:cool: The only move from here is up!!

It got to 40 degrees so I went to try and play with thew TIG welder on some 6061 aluminum. Never touched it before and with mig welding, it took 5 minutes to learn. Clean clean clean is all I read!!

I read the book but the 4 hours of Youtube vidz seem to give me a better mindset going back at it.

It is now 11 degrees outside so it may be a few more days, but WOW!! do I suk! :lol:

I'm my best critic but also a good learner and mostly self taught (don't count Youtube :) )

DC

jays375
02-26-2014, 12:16 AM
Nothing like starting with the hardest stuff first.You do love a challenge.Man I wish we lived closer to each other.Your a smart dude and will figure it out.YouTube will help you out a lot.My aluminum welding skills are good enough to get by.Wait till you try to weld up a engine case.Seems like things go great till your almost done.You'll get it figured out.Maybe practice on some stainless or mild steel first.

Dirtcrasher
02-26-2014, 01:00 AM
^ Yeah, all the goodies on a Miller; I learned today how to form a ball on the end of the Tungsten for aluminum welding.

Yeah Jay, at least I didn't start with titanium! :lol:

Dave Little
02-26-2014, 01:19 AM
I spent more time cleaning my tungsten after dipping it into my puddles than welding when I was learning and never did get very good. My stuff never broke, but I could never get a nice long consistent bead. The guy who taught (or tried to) teach me was an artist. Seek the help of an expert when in doubt.:beer

Same here, I don't weld much aluminum but have the same machine as DC. I can never get the trick of backing off the power as the heat signature overruns the bead and soaks the work. Seems like you're going good and it just turns to crap fast. Just a matter of noticing the little things earlier. Using improvised heat sinks is a big help as well placed tightly under the work close to where you'd like the bead to end or at the halfway point. A beer or two smooths me out and my beads show it, believe it or not.

Steve, let's see some pictures of the coupons you're working on. :beer

captainweezy
02-26-2014, 11:22 AM
How about starting with some carbon or stainless? I wish I could come out and help you. I used to TIG full time all over the country til the mid 2000's. I loved it. I sucked when I first started too brother. But then money motivated me like it always and still does!
If I could give you just one nugget, I would say don't put a death grip on the handle. Relax your hand and arm a bit. You will be putting a rainbow weave on those beads in no time.

brapp
02-26-2014, 11:57 AM
i learned to tig on mild steel and got technique down and then moved to stsiness and then aluminum but can run pretty good beads now.

Dirtcrasher
02-26-2014, 02:03 PM
Well, I pretty much bought it for aluminum. DC for steel will be chicken.

Aluminum is job #1 :D

tri again
02-26-2014, 04:36 PM
I probably stick welded a few hundred feet of steel racks for concrete
when my eyes were still good but found a guy
who showed me how he welded 2 aluminum soda cans together.
I'll hafta find that guy again.
Need to weld the shift drum stopper mounting boss inside a 125m case.

Stay with it dc. I'm sure you can do anything.
It'd be nice if it didn't hurt to hold your body in stable positions.
Maybe some sandbags and turn an office chair around so you can lean
against the back?

Billy Golightly
02-28-2014, 09:03 PM
Pics of your beads DC, and we can probably give you a lot pf pointers from how they look.

Dirtcrasher
03-01-2014, 12:48 AM
How about starting with some carbon or stainless? I wish I could come out and help you. I used to TIG full time all over the country til the mid 2000's. I loved it. I sucked when I first started too brother. But then money motivated me like it always and still does!
If I could give you just one nugget, I would say don't put a death grip on the handle. Relax your hand and arm a bit. You will be putting a rainbow weave on those beads in no time.

WOW! THANKS, I wish you could come over too!! I got some E3 Tungsten today but too cold to run the shop. Just a little more seat time!!

aldochina
03-01-2014, 01:07 AM
awsome DC!! I know how long you have wanted to be able to tig, especially aluminum! I agree though, you ought to practice on some steel until you get used to technique, and your machines settings. Alot more forgiving, and it will translate right over to the AL, where you will just have to move alot quicker once the metal starts to puddle! I wish you were a wee bit closer, so I could come over and practice with you!!

CRAZY70MAN
03-01-2014, 06:52 AM
All I can say is my hats off to those beautiful tig welds that I took for granted everytime I seen one.:beer I have a nice stick welder ac/dc and a decent mig but never tig welded until I was at Keisters this past year for a race which got rained out. We had a lot of garage time and Jake was working on a 450 frame so I asked if I could try the tig on some scrap parts.:(:(:( man.......that sure looks easier than it is:lol: Glad to see this thread though as I too am in the market for a decent one. Hats off to all you tig experts and to you DC for the thread. Keep us posted on any special tricks or things that work for ya... Oh and:pics:

Dirtcrasher
03-01-2014, 03:15 PM
i learned to tig on mild steel and got technique down and then moved to stsiness and then aluminum but can run pretty good beads now.

Pretty beads?? Didn't your 450R upper shock mount last about 30 minutes?? :lol:

Just bustin your chops bro!!

Dirtcrasher
03-01-2014, 03:17 PM
I WILL get this down!! I accept no defeat!! and I need to pay for the new machine :lol:

aldochina
03-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Steve, if you havnt already, check out weldingtipsandtricks.com great sight, with awsome videos and information on all types of welding but especially tig.

kazander
03-01-2014, 09:45 PM
not yet because I have not tried it.

tanks350x
03-02-2014, 10:24 AM
I know that this isn't your style but, you could take a class at BP.. Just saying...