PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 300?

ICS Vortex
02-26-2014, 02:28 PM
Hey everyone. Yesterday, I was out riding my 1983 Big Red 200e and stopped along the road for a few minutes with my buddy. Within a few minutes of being stopped a man pulled over in a jeep and said that it's the only three wheeler he has ever saw in my area, and that he had one he is wanting to trade for something on 4 wheels or if the price is right sell it. He showed me a few pictures on his phone and from what I could see it looked to be in mint condition. Although he did say that the electric start is messed up. He said he went onto the "Yamaha 3 wheeler site and found out it was a 300cc". I'm thinking that Yamaha didn't even make a 300, but they made the YTM 200 and Tri-Z 250. He said that he had someone in Ohio say he would buy it for $1500 and come pick it up, which is a ridiculous price in my opinion. I'm fixing to go check it out and take some pictures, but I'd like your guys' fixin on it.

Pictures added at bottom
What is a fair price?

Ghostv2
02-26-2014, 06:06 PM
First we need to know what it is. Take a picture and report back.

A nice Tri-z for that price, sure.
YTM? Nooooooooo.

ICS Vortex
02-26-2014, 06:09 PM
First we need to know what it is. Take a picture and report back.

A nice Tri-z for that price, sure.
YTM? Nooooooooo.

I'm asking if they even made a 300 model?

ICS Vortex
02-26-2014, 07:11 PM
No such thing as a 300 and no e start Tri-Z. I'm betting its a 200 with e start.

That's what I thought. I'll probably end up going and taking a look at it and seeing if I can't make him an offer if I don't purchase this other one I'm planning on purchasing haha..

emmie357
02-27-2014, 07:34 AM
E start Yamaha is a YTM225 or YTM200E. If it has rear suspension it's a 225, if it's a hardtail it's a 200.

barnett468
02-27-2014, 07:50 AM
In 1985 the suggested retail price of a YTM200ERN and YTM225DXM was $1849.00. Perhaps the offer he got was in Pesos, lol.

If it is one of these and it does look showroom new with low miles then ok, but that's rarely the case.

ICS Vortex
03-01-2014, 08:29 PM
If he's asking $1,500 for it I hope you aren't driving too far to see it.

He's a 15 minute walk away, haha.
I'm definitely not going to offer that for it. Depending on the condition and model I'd go to like $700 max.

ICS Vortex
03-01-2014, 08:30 PM
E start Yamaha is a YTM225 or YTM200E. If it has rear suspension it's a 225, if it's a hardtail it's a 200.

Thanks for that info!

Chopsaw
03-01-2014, 09:34 PM
I bought a 84 200e Yamahauler that was sitting in a barn for 250 with
original title . Cleaned it up , dialed it in and flipped it for 600 . I liked it , but Bigred was jealous .
Go look , and if you're not sure take pics and ask here . I'd like to see it .
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/chopsaw/200eleft_zps54bf064a.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/chopsaw/media/200eleft_zps54bf064a.jpg.html)

ICS Vortex
03-03-2014, 10:00 PM
I bought a 84 200e Yamahauler that was sitting in a barn for 250 with
original title . Cleaned it up , dialed it in and flipped it for 600 . I liked it , but Bigred was jealous .
Go look , and if you're not sure take pics and ask here . I'd like to see it .
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/chopsaw/200eleft_zps54bf064a.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/chopsaw/media/200eleft_zps54bf064a.jpg.html)

I got some pictures finally.
It's a 200, but he keeps telling me that it's a 300 with a "universal rearend like the big red"......
Here's a link to the pictures: http://imgur.com/a/qw8s5
He said it had electric start but it needed a cable and it starts every time with the pull start.

What do you guys think a max offer would be? I have like $700, I'm not wanting to go any more than that to be honest.

muthey
03-03-2014, 11:01 PM
my opinion that is a 400$ machine tops, it has seen it's fair share of trails. that is a 200 no ifs ands or butts about it check the cylinder it will have a cm3 casting on it that will tell you the cc's I can't remember what the 200's say anymore, but if he keeps arguing that it is a 300 ask him nicely to prove it, and I hate to tell him but that is a oem yamaha rear end on there. now for the good tires are not bad but they are not new either, and the plastics are faded and the stickers are missing in some places. That is an aftermarket muffler as well so the next question is did he re jet it after changing it? I have a spare starter cable if you do get it but I wouldn't offer anymore than 400$ if it runs and shifts smoothly and no smoke. I see he broke the rear foot brake cable as well that is 40$ to fix right there for a new cable.

ICS Vortex
03-04-2014, 12:20 AM
my opinion that is a 400$ machine tops, it has seen it's fair share of trails. that is a 200 no ifs ands or butts about it check the cylinder it will have a cm3 casting on it that will tell you the cc's I can't remember what the 200's say anymore, but if he keeps arguing that it is a 300 ask him nicely to prove it, and I hate to tell him but that is a oem yamaha rear end on there. now for the good tires are not bad but they are not new either, and the plastics are faded and the stickers are missing in some places. That is an aftermarket muffler as well so the next question is did he re jet it after changing it? I have a spare starter cable if you do get it but I wouldn't offer anymore than 400$ if it runs and shifts smoothly and no smoke. I see he broke the rear foot brake cable as well that is 40$ to fix right there for a new cable.

Thanks for your input. I'll probably start at $500 and see where it goes if I offer on it. I didn't even notice that the foot brake cable was broke, but now that I look closer, it looks to be either bent down, put on wrong, or the cable is missing/stretched. He lives 5 minutes away from me so I'll definitely check it out some time. I'd rather pick this one up then the one I originally planned on picking up in Marietta, Ohio (2nd one from Marietta, Ohio haha...) which is a good drive away. Just all depends on if the price is right.
Do you mind if I print out your post to show it to him for 'vouches'?

czac
03-04-2014, 11:56 AM
run the serial numbers from the frame and engine to see if they match and what they say they are... as far as I know Yammie NEVER made a 300.. well, at least not one that was sold to the public. I saw an old photo on this site of an old three wheeler made from I believe a Honda 110 or 180 and a Yamaha RD 350. looked sweet too....lol but yeah, run the numbers. the frame number is on the steering yoke (Yoke?) (on the frame, not on the steering triple clamp) stamped into it. the Motor number should be on a flat spot on the top of the block, maybe under the carb.. stamped into it.

muthey
03-04-2014, 03:26 PM
you can print out my post for him, and if there is anything else you want to ask him about it but need a better way of asking let me know and I can give you more questions, I'm bettering with the right questions we can get the price knocked way down there for you

DohcBikes
03-04-2014, 03:40 PM
Just a side note from experience......

Sometimes people want to believe what they want to believe, and some people are easily offended when you try to convince them that they don't know what they have.

If they don't agree, and it becomes aparrent that the argument will make no headway towards an agreement, I never push the issue.

Ghostv2
03-04-2014, 03:44 PM
The cold hard fact is they are not a Honda. They are great fun machines but just do not compare in reliability, style, or functionality. Less aftermarket options. Lots of other factors. Dont get me wrong, lots of us like them. I own two 225dx's. Its a good machine, but it would not compare to the 250sx or the 250es.

Point being, they are not worth what a similar model in the ATC family would be worth.

Check to make sure the front suspension is not in need of a rebuilt, those forks are not the best. Tend to bend easy from what i hear. YTM plastics almost always are faded/corroded. That silencer looks to be a dirtbike one that was probably crudely attached sideways. The already addressed foot brake problem. The front fender and rack look a little dinged up. They were designed a little funky but look for stuff that was replaced with stuff that shouldnt be there. Point out the flaws to get the price down but point out what you like to let him know you want it and not to offend him too much. See how desperate he is to get rid of it.

Chopsaw
03-04-2014, 05:49 PM
I say pass . Just the fact that he cant even wash it to show it to you makes me think twice . If you really want it offer him 200 , and walk after 250 .
Guys here know more than me about the Yamaha's but I think seized front axle , and a starts with the rope , but cranks and no fire on the e start are common .
Good luck .

Ghostv2
03-04-2014, 08:15 PM
I wouldn't wash it either. It's been in the negatives. My hose wouldn't even work.

Chopsaw
03-04-2014, 09:12 PM
I wouldn't wash it either. It's been in the negatives. My hose wouldn't even work.

Guess I didn't word it right , wasn't negative temps when the mud went on ,,,

Ghostv2
03-04-2014, 10:48 PM
Guess I didn't word it right , wasn't negative temps when the mud went on ,,,

If he really even cared about it he would know what it is. So it's a given.

El Camexican
03-04-2014, 11:03 PM
Like the man said, look on the cylinder, I think it says 196cc. $400 is top dollar for that trike. $600 would be in mint condition without a scratch, fresh skins and a tank full of gas.

emmie357
03-05-2014, 09:19 PM
That's an 84 YTM200E I paid $400 for mine in similar condition.

It's hard to tell if the brake lever is bent from the angle, they sit kinda low and weird. They bend pretty easily though.