PDA

View Full Version : 200x carb OEM or new ebay carb???

ATC90JAY
03-01-2014, 02:09 PM
I think I may want to put a new carb on my 84 200x. Should I buy a completely rebuilt 24MM Keihin or a ebay carb?? The OEM was rebuilt with a shindy kit bead blasted and looks brand new....What do you think?? I always thought OEM was best.....

RID RED JAY!!!!

90guy
03-01-2014, 02:41 PM
OEM any day of the week. I will never stick one of those Chinese carbs on anything I own. Just my opinion

yaegerb
03-01-2014, 02:44 PM
X2.....OEM any day of the week. I have one on EBAY right now ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-85-Honda-ATC-200x-Carburetor-and-Intake-/121284887682?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c3d248482&vxp=mtr

barnett468
03-01-2014, 02:54 PM
Well, many of the orig carbs have worn slides and and worn carb bodies where the slide goes. This can cause idle problems.

I would say that unless the seller guarantees a full refund with no questions asked, I might be hesitant to buy a rebuilt 27 year old carb that might not only have a ton of use on it, but also might have had a ton of sand run through it since we all know how well many people take care of their bikes, lol.

GOOD working oem is best imo, however lots of people here run the Chinese ones, and once properly set up, never seem to have a prob with them strangely enough.

Spray paint and sand blast is cheap. Just because a used part looks like new does not mean it will work like new.

DohcBikes
03-01-2014, 02:59 PM
More than half of the "cheap" aftermarket carbs you see on eBay are made in JAPAN folks, just like your ATC, not china.

And they work juuuust fine if you know how to tune a carburetor.

webbch
03-01-2014, 03:28 PM
I'm running a cheapo ebay carb on my 200s...I switched over to it very hesitantly, and only after doing everything I possibly could with the OEM carb. I narrowed it down to needing either a new float valve seat installed (not sure where to find a replacement), or the carb slide re-coated. For $20, the Chinese carb was a gamble I could afford to lose. Just had to install the correct pilot jet on that one.

My only recommendation would be to make sure the Chinese carb has the throttle cable adjuster. Mine didn't, but I was able to tap the hole in the carb slide cap and transfer my OEM one over.

barnett468
03-01-2014, 03:41 PM
More than half of the "cheap" aftermarket carbs you see on eBay are made in JAPAN folks, just like your ATC, not china.哪些可能的是什麼呢?

ATC90JAY
03-01-2014, 04:07 PM
Thats the one im biding on!!! So in reference to Barnetts message How are the slides??

Well, many of the orig carbs have worn slides and and worn carb bodies where the slide goes. This can cause idle problems.

I would say that unless the seller guarantees a full refund with no questions asked, I might be hesitant to buy a rebuilt 27 year old carb that might not only have a ton of use on it, but also might have had a ton of sand run through it since we all know how well many people take care of their bikes, lol.

GOOD working oem is best imo, however lots of people here run the Chinese ones, and once properly set up, never seem to have a prob with them strangely enough.

Spray paint and sand blast is cheap. Just because a used part looks like new does not mean it will work like new.

barnett468
03-01-2014, 04:20 PM
Thats the one im biding on!!! So in reference to Barnetts message How are the slides??Well, every carb has had a different life. I highly doubt the slide has been recoated at that price. Irregardless, the carb body wears faster than the slide due to the material it is made out of and it is not re-coatable.

"This unit has also been tested and works flawlessly."

I would ask EXACTLY how it was tested and if it is returnable for a full refund if you put gas in it and it runs bad or if you simply feel the slide play and think it is too much.

ATC90JAY
03-01-2014, 04:41 PM
Hi Dohc! I did....

yaegerb
03-01-2014, 07:38 PM
Well, every carb has had a different life. I highly doubt the slide has been recoated at that price. Irregardless, the carb body wears faster than the slide due to the material it is made out of and it is not re-coatable.

"This unit has also been tested and works flawlessly."

I would ask EXACTLY how it was tested and if it is returnable for a full refund if you put gas in it and it runs bad or if you simply feel the slide play and think it is too much.

Well, Barnett, that's my carb. It was tested by putting on my 200x and firing it up for initial tune. I might also add this was rebuilt by flyingW, who has a impeccable track record on this website for rebuilding just about any carb and running like OEM. I can tell you that every component was thoroughly examined by flying W and replaced if necessary. Should you need to question his or my ethics feel free to check out our feedback profiles.

barnett468
03-02-2014, 04:51 AM
Well, Barnett, that's my carb.That’s all I need to know. I have no more questions. Now that I know who the seller is, if I wanted a good orig carb for a 200 etc., I would buy this one.

It was tested by putting on my 200x and firing it up for initial tune.
Not knowing it was your carb, if this specific info had been in the ad, I would not have had any questions. As a prospective buyer interested in a carb from a seller I don’t know, having this info and/or seeing a short cell phone video of the bike running with it on would increase my confidence in it and subsequently my bid amount.

I am on a classic high perf car site also, and none of the rebuilt carbs they buy have been tested on a vehicle. MANY have significant probs, so I’m aware of the various probs with buying “rebuilt” carbs from Ebay.

Should you need to question his or my ethics feel free to check out our feedback profiles.I have no need to question your or his ethics, therefore I have no need to check out your profiles. I doubt that anyone here that is familiar with you would question them either.

I merely suggested the buyer ask two simple questions of what I thought was an unknown seller.

:beer

DohcBikes
03-02-2014, 05:25 AM
^^^X2 Jay!

yeagerb and flyingW have an impeccable reputation here....bid with confidence brother!

ATC90JAY
03-02-2014, 02:13 PM
Thanks Guys!! I apprecaite the info now I have a better idea on questions to ask or what to look for.....Yaegerb send that carb!!! I need it!!!!!!