PDA

View Full Version : 250es big red leaking fuel out carb hours after mechanic "fixed" it

SuperRed
03-03-2014, 12:52 AM
Very cold up in canada this week. Finally got BR back from mechanic cause it was running really rich. He said a screw was too small. I had a carb kit for it anyways 400 bucks later when I finally warm up engine enough and turn the full line on it leaks out bottom drainage tube constantly until I either start engine or turn off valve still runs rich he said which it does. Don't know what's wrong he cleaned carb also

Flyingw
03-03-2014, 12:58 AM
Tap the carb bowl with a screwdriver. Very common for the float valve to sit cockeyed in the hole.

Nason
03-03-2014, 12:59 AM
The float may be stuck or maybe set up to high but maybe someone else can confirm that. Sometimes if its stuck you can give the bowl a tap and it will drop

Flyingw
03-03-2014, 01:03 AM
Float height on this carb is not adjustable. Tap the bowl or shake the snot out of the trike will usually seat the float valve.

DohcBikes
03-03-2014, 02:03 AM
How about taking it back to the guy you paid 400 dollars to and making him do his job.

He should have tested his "repairs".

If you let him get away with it he will keep doing it.

Why pay someone if you have to finish the job?

Outlaw #24
03-03-2014, 02:12 AM
How about taking it back to the guy you paid 400 dollars to and making him do his job.

I agree with him! But, before that, I would run it and not just for a minute or 2, I mean run it. Ride it like you stole it then it won't run so rich and it will flow some gas through it! WHEN IN DOUBT ? GAS IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trikester8485
03-03-2014, 11:35 AM
If the carb wasn't fully taken apart and fully cleaned it will do that.i was lazy one day and I had same prob.i took it back off and did it fully and viola good to go.even replace the needle for the float it even the seat thx good luck fellow Canadian and Alberta wheeler

barnett468
03-03-2014, 11:36 AM
Does the carb stop leaking once it is running?

If you determine the float is not stuck I would do the following while it is running.

The following gas level test eliminates the need to check the float level and is more accurate. It should also be done PRIOR to jetting.

GAS LEVEL - Check the actual gas level first by doing the following:

1. get a small 10” long piece of clear plastic tube.
2. connect it to the float bowl drain fitting.
3. hold it close to the carb with the open end even with the top of the carb.
4. open the gas valve on the tank and drain screw on the carb bowl.
5. the gas in the tube should be from even with the bottom of the main carb body to 3/16” below it. If it is outside this range, I would correct it.

If your gas level is high you migh need to heat your plastic float to adjust it. Flying might have ideas.

once the gas level is correct yiu can worry about jetting it.

SuperRed
03-03-2014, 03:29 PM

I know right he apparently took it all apart and cleaned it in some kind of bath, so idk how the float would be sticking but when i am back from camp i will give her a tap and as outlaw was saying ill go for a good rip thanks for the help guys!