PDA

View Full Version : New tri-z PROJECT. Blown motor yz swap?

CountryBoyFreah
03-03-2014, 04:54 AM
I was exploring a friend of mines grandpa's barn and found what I believe to be an 85 tri-z. The motor is completely blown, the plastics are very brittle. The radiators are there but not mounted the silencer is there but the head, carb, and header are missing. I hated to see it just sit so I offered hem 120 for it and I took it home. I was looking on craigslist and there's a (running) tri-z 85 motor for 500 dollars I'm pretty spatial about buying a 500 dollar motor in hopes it runs good without having to drop more money in it😥 I was looking into buying an old running yz 250 and putting it on the z frame. Has anybody out there done this? Is it a perfect fit or is fab work needed.?

Dual z guy
03-03-2014, 05:58 AM
I have placed an 89 yz250 engine in my tri z that is converted to a bike an the fit was near perfect with only one issue and that was the intake mount for the carburetor, it was angled towards the exhaust and placed the carb to close to the exhaust so I used an intake from a 84 yz an trimmed it a little with a knife so that it would fit into place. I then was able to mount the tri z carb right up. One other issue you will have will be with the kick start as it will kick the other direction. Some one else may have a solution for you here as it was not an issue for me.