PDA

View Full Version : Bearing Removal & Shock Tube REmoval

doughnuts
03-03-2014, 10:45 AM
Hello To All I am having trouble removing the bearings from a 84 honda 200 s front hub axle, I have the seals
out but the bearing does not want to budge--Also the front shock tubes are not coming out, I have put a wedge in slot and used a strap wrench to no avail, I do not want to beat on it to make it useless.
ANY HELP would be greatly helpfull.

barnett468
03-03-2014, 12:02 PM
There is a spacer in the hub. Pry it off center slightly with a small screwdriver etc. Work it from one side then flip it over and work ot from that side.

Once off center around 1/4" you can get a straight tube around 14" long that is slightly smaller than the axle. Put it inside and catch the bearing with the tube and whack it out. If the tube slips off you might whack your hand so wear gloves or have someone expendable do it for you.

A bearing puller is beat. Some tool rental shops carry them or motorcycle shop can do it chead.

barnett468
03-03-2014, 12:06 PM
Your wedge sucks, the tubes will literally fall out when the clamp is wedged enough. You can put a piece of pvs tube on top of fork and whak it with a hammar.

DohcBikes
03-03-2014, 12:34 PM
Not true on 200s forks. Sometimes those tubes ain't no fun.

You can't whack it with a hammer, they don't work that way. They aren't normal forks and trees like say a tecate.

Get creative and don't give in.

DohcBikes
03-03-2014, 12:37 PM
A soft jaw vise works best, but not many people have those.

barnett468
03-03-2014, 01:39 PM
A soft jaw vise works best, but not many people have those. Get creative and don't give in.
If you don't have those, you can just have your Granny take her false teeth out and bite down on it then just spin her around instead. There, was that creative enough for ya Dohc!

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing025.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Not true on 200s forks.
Sorry, I was thinking of an X not an S. For some reason I just had X on my mind. Don’t know if it was because of the video or the DOS EQUES TEQUILA.

Ok, regroup. Some options are;

1. spray inside triple tree with WD40.

2. use a small chisel or large blade screwdriver as a wedge and drive it in from the bottom parallel to the tube if possible or have someone try to pry it apart while you work on the tube.

3. install the front axle.

4. have helper push down in axle with foot until it stops moving.

5. WHACK the axle next to the tube with a lead hammar or dead blow hammar with light to moderate force only. Alternate from tube to tube.

6. You can also put around 8 winds of good yellow masking tape around the tube near the fork, then grab the tape with a pair of channel locks and try to turn it and spin it out. Use a pipe wrench on the tape at your own risk.

doughnuts
03-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Thanks to all