PDA

View Full Version : Spark arrestor missing

Mr. A
03-04-2014, 08:48 PM
I have an 81' 200 that just won't get full power. Been through the carb twice with no change. Bought a carb kit from dratv (20 miles away from me:Bounce) Planning on putting that in this weekend but wondering if the spark arrestor missing might make it run like it's bogging down.

rg97
03-04-2014, 10:25 PM
It wont. Just cant get anywhere legal without one, ie dunes, parks, that kind of stuff.

barnett468
03-05-2014, 11:16 AM
Why do you think it does not have full power?

Did it have more power previously and if so what has changed sonce then?

Have you ever ridden a STOCK one before?

What type of riding are you doing ie., flat, hills, fast, slow?

Is the carb orig?

What are the tiny numbers on the side of the carb?

What modifications are done to your bike if any?

What color is the spark plug?

What is your elevation?

Does it smoke out the exhaust pipe, and if so is it lite gray or dark gray/black?

Can you do a compression test with the throttle open and switch off?

What color is the spark plug?

White/lite gray?

Lite tan?

Dark tan?

Dry and black?

Moist, gooey and black?

I might start with the following:

SET ROCKER CLERANCE - .002” - .003”.

CHECK IGN TIMING

The following gas level test eliminates the need to check the float level and is more accurate. It should also be done PRIOR to jetting.

GAS LEVEL - Check the actual gas level first by doing the following:

1. get a small 10” long piece of clear plastic tube.
2. connect it to the float bowl drain fitting.
3. hold it close to the carb with the open end even with the top of the carb.
4. open the gas valve on the tank and drain screw on the carb bowl.
5. the gas in the tube should be from even with the bottom of the main carb body to 3/16” below it. If it is outside this range, I would correct it.

If your gas level is high but you have plastic floats you might need a new float or possibly heat that one and bend it. Flying might have ideas.

MUFFLER – Is the entire muffler missing or just the spark arrestor/core? It is possible your muffler is partially plugged. Seen it a few times.

JETTING - The stock main jet is around 108 - 110 and pilot around 40.

Free online manuals. Click on blue links on right side in link below.

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

Mr. A
03-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Will try to get some of this done this weekend. It is stock, all original, muffler there just no spark arresrtor. Seen your float idea and did that few weeks ago but need to do again with clear hose. Only ridden a few miles since I bought it, probably hasn't run for quite a while. Rode on flat roads and can only get about 30 mph downhill:) Might as well not even have 5th gear. I did download manuals after I bought it thanks to 3ww members so I'll be able to check timing etc..New spark plug while it was still in back of truck coming home. Need to check color on that. I'm mechanical but not so much on these but I'm learning fast. It's like it wants to go but something holding it back. I just can't pinpoint it. Been to damn cold here to spend any time on it but things are looking better. Got some 40's and 50's coming up :)

Mr. A
03-13-2014, 09:26 PM
It's fixed!!!!:w00t: Went through everything, last was timing,wound up breaking cogs on advance(you'd have to know my luck) Bought used advance on ebay still factory set apparently. Fires right up and hauls butt:Bounce Still needs some fine tuning, can't wait for the weekend!!!

nachop
03-13-2014, 09:56 PM
I like the gas level test. Pretty neat trick.

Mr. A
03-15-2014, 09:13 PM
Ok, I knew I got to excited when it fired up and ran good. Still runs good but getting it started after it gets cold, I have to shoot some brake cleaner in air intake and give a few pulls then it starts. Starts right away when warm, cools off then won't start without brake clean. Maybe not enough spark?