PDA

View Full Version : Ground location for YTM225DX

VtamRLN
03-05-2014, 06:40 PM
Newbie here. Please be kind.

Bought a used 1984 Yamaha YTM225DX. It had been buried in a barn under a pile of hay for several years. It ran but smoked horribly and was very hard to start. Had cylinder bored and rings. Ran super strong but darn near broke my shoulder trying to pull start. Trike had been scabbed together from it and another trike. There was never a battery in it and it did not have starter cables. Bought a battery, and have located a correct cable set. It does have electric start. Positive cable is a no-brainer. The questions is the ground cable. Based on the extra outer casing, it appears to go to the engine in some hot location. The hole in the cable appears to be approximately 3/16th diameter. I have a Haynes manual for the trike, but it says nothing about the battery and cable routing.

So the question is.......What is the correction routing and location for the ground cable connection?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Ghostv2
03-05-2014, 08:59 PM
The ground cable runs from the battery and bolts to the frame right next to it. By the grab bar. If you need pics I can get you some.

VtamRLN
03-06-2014, 11:14 AM
The ground cable runs from the battery and bolts to the frame right next to it. By the grab bar. If you need pics I can get you some.

Ghost, not disagreeing with you, and I agree that it COULD work there. I have a legitimate set of stock OEM cables. The positive cable is a duplicate of the existing cable. The ground cable is this case is almost 2 feet long. I don't think that they would have made that long to bolt up to the frame near the grab handle.
Additionally, there is extra sheathing around the lower portion of the cable (away from the battery area) that would seem to indicate it would be exposed to either heat or wear. As the battery is really only used for starting, it would seem that they would want to run the ground all the way to the engine, not to the frame. This would be similar to how an automotive battery / starter situation exists. The factory always grounds directly to the engine, as well as the chassis. No one does a chassis ground only.

Thanks for responding. I am still hoping to find where the correct location (you may be right though) if one exists.

Ghostv2
03-06-2014, 02:51 PM
Im just telling you what i know. At the moment i own two 225dx's. Both of them are grounded at the same exact location with the same exact cables in the same way. They are from completely different areas by different people. So i would assume this is factory placement. Like i said, if you want pictures i can get them for you but if you think its wrong then your gonna have to do research and look at wiring diagrams or something.

barnett468
03-06-2014, 04:28 PM
Hello;

How do you know the negative cable you have is orig and correct, they no longer make them?

If the sheathing is rubber it is to prevent abrasion of the inner cable and is not for heat , if it is cloth, it is to resist heat.

This is not a car. A car has rubber motor mounts, trans mounts that make it difficult for the engine to ground to the body and frame if it is not a unibody car. Cars use a ground from the battery to the engine, a ground from the engine to the body and if it has a frame it also has a ground from the body to the frame.

Some motorcycles and possibly atv’s have rubber engine mounts, in which case there might be a ground from the engine to the frame.

Here is a photo of an orig positive cable from a YTM225. I can’t find any orig negative cables.

http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/YAMAHA-YTM225-YTM-225-TRI-MOTO-STARTER-BATTERY-CABLE-/161236149980?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item258a6c66dc

Page 180 of the online Clymer manual in the link below clearly shows the negative cable going from the battery and pointing to the rear of the bike, however, the other end is not bolted to anything. It’s hard to tell if it has an additional cover on the cable but it looks like it does not and it looks shorter than two feet long. Imo it mounts where Ghosty said his mounts.

Might take 30 minutes to load.

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/Yamaha/ytm200-225-fm200l.pdf

Jwmajic
03-06-2014, 09:52 PM
I got one running 225 and four parts bikes and all of them had a short negative lead that bolted to the frame near the grab bar. Also it should be real easy to pull start with the compression release lever flipped up.

MonroeMike
03-07-2014, 03:10 AM
Correct ground location from the service manual.

Ghostv2
03-07-2014, 11:18 AM
I think whoever sold you these cables and said they are legitimate and OEM should give you your money back.
Did you get them off an individual or a retailer online? Not saying they wouldn't still work but they clearly told you wrong information.

yameeha225dx
03-08-2014, 08:01 AM
Im just telling you what i know. At the moment i own two 225dx's. Both of them are grounded at the same exact location with the same exact cables in the same way. They are from completely different areas by different people. So i would assume this is factory placement. Like i said, if you want pictures i can get them for you but if you think its wrong then your gonna have to do research and look at wiring diagrams or something.

i believe GHOST is correct.......this is my 225 dx , and i'm pretty sure this was the factory location of the cable,......these were the factory cables, and the ground was very short........188585.........hope this helps

muthey
03-08-2014, 11:08 AM
my oem ground cables were also mounted in that same spot on the frame. if you really desire to mount it to the motor you can but I recommend mounting it to the back of the motor, however you will have a wire that will be possible to come loose and get caught on brush or your leg that way and that can get dangerous. but just know that is not an oem negative cable they were only about 6" long.

atc007
03-08-2014, 11:36 AM
Yammee225,that it is a work of art. Very nice work.

barnett468
03-08-2014, 12:34 PM
If your ground cable has the correct fitting for the battery, you can simply shorten it and install an eyelet of the appropriate size that fits. They are available at hardware stores.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvB0Y_QivOXxxsZvMgGKQL_5xmxT8pC K0kH9owVUKqCcnFa5e_5viJtkA

VtamRLN
03-09-2014, 12:24 PM
If your ground cable has the correct fitting for the battery, you can simply shorten it and install an eyelet of the appropriate size that fits. They are available at hardware stores.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvB0Y_QivOXxxsZvMgGKQL_5xmxT8pC K0kH9owVUKqCcnFa5e_5viJtkA

Thanks for all the help to all that replied.

The screenshot supplied earlier was very helpful. Probably overthought this one. I realize the frame ground could work, but looked for a better solution. I believe I will shorten the cable and attach as shown in the diagram.

First time using this forum. Everyone was helpful. It is appreciated.

czac
03-10-2014, 03:13 PM
My 86 DXN has the ground wire going from the Battery to the bolt that holds the battery try to the frame..no foolin. that's where it goes. theres no super secret to it. just ground it to the frame and ride!