PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Honda 200ES Big Red

2ringers
03-09-2014, 08:47 PM
I purchased a 1984 Honda Big Red new and my Dad bought it from me in 1986 and has had it ever since. In 86 I bought a new Honda 250SX. Some time later, I foolishly traded it on a street bike. I wish I could go back and change that.

The Big Red now needs some repairs and I have started working on it for Dad.

The starter clutch is not always engaging. I've removed the recoil starter and the recoil starter driven pulley. Now I can't get the left crankcase cover broken loose. Any tips on how to get it loose without damaging it.

It also needs rear brake work. I got everything off and you guessed it, I can't get the brake drum cover broke loose.

Also the shop manual calls for 0773-0010000 or 07933-0010000 flywheel puller. Is that a 24mm 1.0 ?
Best place to get a decent one?

Thanks

tri again
03-10-2014, 03:57 AM
Sorry about the sx.
I did that once and never again.
Flywheel puller at almost any local bike shop...fits many models.
You mean electric starter clutch?
starter just spins but engages Sometimes?
It's been many years and trikes in between so I'd wait for some better info.
Kb0nly and a few others have the answers off the tops of their heads.
Can you get the search key to work?
It will get you tons of info in one click but please keep us posted.

2ringers
03-10-2014, 05:07 AM
Starter engages then free spins. Recoil starter starter does the same. They both will work intermittently. It also makes a loud knock inside when this happens. Once I get it started and warmed up, both the starter and recoil starter will work every time.

I tried searching and can't seem to find the right words to get the correct results.

Trimoto74
03-10-2014, 09:18 AM
If its anything like my TRX350 there is a one way clutch that goes bad. Parts should still be available. Kind of a stupid design that is bound to fail. Mine made a terrible knocking noise when trying to start it. I bought a flywheel puller from dennis kirk pretty cheap. Simple little tool. I remember that splitting the case was a bear too. Pry bars and some ingenuity is what it took. I do have a 84 200es parts machine laying around if you need anything. Good luck

86125m
03-10-2014, 10:29 AM
Ok I think I know what's wrong we had a simular problem with our 200m motor which is a almost identical motor. Your magneto flywheel is broken the nocking you hear is probally the parts that you can't see that are behing the flywheel. Once we replaced the flywheel with an extra from a motor we had torn down. The engine started right up. You will have to replace the flywheel. Now I can't tell you this is your exact problem without actuly seeing the motor. but it sounds like the same problem I had.

tvpierce
03-11-2014, 06:14 AM
You don't need a puller to remove the flywheel on this engine -- just a simple bolt that you can get at the hardware store. I have one, but I don't remember the size and thread pitch. Someone on this site gave me the info. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT:

Just checked mine: it's 14mm x 1.5 thread pitch.

2ringers
03-11-2014, 04:47 PM
You don't need a puller to remove the flywheel on this engine -- just a simple bolt that you can get at the hardware store. I have one, but I don't remember the size and thread pitch. Someone on this site gave me the info. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT:

Do you pull on the bolt when you thread it in or thread it in to pop the flywheel off?
I haven't got the cover broke free yet so I don't know exactly what it looks like yet.

Trimoto74
03-11-2014, 07:42 PM
Ya the puller I purchased was essentially a big bolt. I wouldn't think just any hardware store would carry a bolt that big, especially metric. Could be wrong though, I never looked. Just thread it in and the flywheel will push off if I remember right. I'm pretty sure I lubed it up good and used a 3/8 impact lightly.

tvpierce
03-13-2014, 06:34 AM
Do you pull on the bolt when you thread it in or thread it in to pop the flywheel off?
I haven't got the cover broke free yet so I don't know exactly what it looks like yet.

Threading in the bolt pushes the flywheel off -- no pulling required.

I got my bolt at the local True Value Hardware store.

2ringers
03-23-2014, 01:01 PM
After a week layed up sick, finally got back at it. After much prying the left cover finally came off and in one piece. Now I need to pick up a bolt to remove the flywheel.

2ringers
03-23-2014, 06:33 PM
I got the rear brakes apart without too much trouble. It needs new shoes and a good cleaning.

2ringers
03-24-2014, 07:07 PM

EDIT:

That was the correct size. Thank you.
I got the flywheel off.
Thanks again

2ringers
03-30-2014, 03:52 PM
I got the starter clutch repaired. One of the springs was broken. I replaced all three springs and plungers. Now the starter works as it should. I have a set of brake shoes on order.

I've been looking for front fork boots and can't find any. Is there any replacement's available?

kb0nly
03-30-2014, 08:01 PM
There is some floating around now and then on eBay but they are damn expensive. I used some universal ones from Dennis Kirk for my 200ES, they fit and worked out great.

https://www.denniskirk.com/daystar/series-58-fork-boots.p58626.prd/58626.sku

LucasGrys
03-31-2014, 12:21 AM
200 es is a beast I have 3 and not planning on letting em go!

bkvette3
03-31-2014, 12:31 AM
I've been looking for front fork boots and can't find any. Is there any replacement's available?[/QUOTE]

Hello 2ringers - I just purchased a pair of OEM Honda front fork boots from my local Honda dealership a month ago. Honda part #51611-KL8-003

Regards,,, BK3

mendoAu
04-04-2017, 02:26 AM
I've been looking for front fork boots and can't find any. Is there any replacement's available?

Hello 2ringers - I just purchased a pair of OEM Honda front fork boots from my local Honda dealership a month ago. Honda part #51611-KL8-003

Regards,,, BK3[/QUOTE]

Thought maybe some of you guys are as "unfamiliar" with metric system as I am so to be precise when searching for the bolt needed for removing the flywheel ask for a M14 - 1.5 pitch (this bolt's shaft is close to 9/16 inch. It will require a 22mm socket) preferably lube (or even better is to "polish" the threads on the new bolt
on your grinders wire wheel) and use an impact socket with a impact driver.
And as for those front fork boots check out automobile shock absorber boots for a close match...many colors and styles but I'm still looking for some kinda ingenius design that will go on without tearing down the front axle/forks...ha!

deejaycee_2000
04-05-2017, 02:45 AM
I bought some off aliexpress according to the size, obviously Chinese knockoffs but the quality wasn't bad and it fit well.

86125m
04-05-2017, 10:21 AM
http://dratv.com/frsu.html dratv sells both the orignal boot and a replacement honda boot .