PDA

View Full Version : All you ATV road racers ... read this or Die!.

Wickedfinger
01-05-2004, 12:07 AM
Personally, I believe this article is just a bunch of misrepresented facts but you make your own conclusions.

Data: ATV roadway wrecks almost always fatal
Lou Rom
lrom@smgpo.gannett.com

October 21, 2003

LAFAYETTE — Sunday’s death of Cedric Paul Bellard proved locally what safety experts have stressed nationally for years –– riding an all-terrain vehicle on a public roadway equates to a death wish.

Bellard, 32, died Sunday when he was thrown from an ATV he was driving after hitting a large pothole on Babineaux Road in Lawtell.

Fewer than one half of one percent of all ATV-related accidents end in death. But add the blacktop and stripes of a public roadway to the mix, and the death rate is nearly 96 percent, according to statistics compiled by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Last year, 264 ATV crashes on public roadways killed 250 drivers and passengers in the United States, according to the safety administration. Annual statistics on Louisiana were unavailable for this report.

Mike Shea, owner of Gravity Alley Motocross in Breaux Bridge, said that he was somewhat surprised that ATV drivers involved in accidents on public roads almost always die.

Just last month, Shea became certified by the ATV Safety Institute to teach safety classes. He said that perhaps Sunday’s fatality would motivate drivers to take safety classes with him or other Acadiana instructors.

“There are so many ATVs out there, and people are not using them for what they were intended for, which is (for) off-road,” said Shea. “But taking the courses really enlightens (drivers).”

And while ATVs grow in popularity, the death toll grows, too: In 2001, 235 crashes killed 225 people; and in 2000, 215 crashes killed 210 people.

ATVs are much more dangerous on pavement because they have no rear differential, which makes them more difficult to turn and easier to roll over, said Ken Giles, spokesman for the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, a federal agency that works to reduce death and injury.

“An ATV has a solid rear axle; this is how it gets its traction out in the mud. They have trouble maneuvering … on high-friction surfaces like concrete or asphalt. That’s why you shouldn’t ride it on the pavement,” said Giles.

Kinney Kidder, a salesman for Motion Cycle in Lafayette, said that people should respect the rules of the road.

“Everybody needs to know that these are designed as off-road vehicles,” said Kidder, who has sold ATVs and motorcycles for over 20 years.

Kidder said that too many parents think ATVs are safer than motorcycles, when in fact they can be more dangerous.

“There’s a misconception that, because it’s four wheels, it’s safer than a two-wheeler, and for the most part that’s wrong,” said Kidder. A 50 cc four-wheeler such as the Yamaha YFM 50 weighs 237 pounds, while the Yamaha PW50, a motorcycle, weighs just 82 pounds, he said.

In addition to common sense, safety precautions such as helmets, goggles and boots, all ATV riders should heed one all-important bit of advice:

“The biggest thing I can emphasize is keeping them on the proper-size machines for their age,” he said.

At a glance:

The ATV Safety Institute recommends the following vehicle/engine sizes for riders:

Age 6 and older: Under 70cc

12 and older: 70cc to 90cc

16 and older: Over 90cc

To learn more:

For ATV training classes in your area, call the ATV Safety Institute at (800) 887-2887.

At a glance:

Last year, more than 847,000 ATVs were sold nationwide, a five-fold increase in sales since 1993. More than 15 million Americans ride ATVs.

In Louisiana, 110 people –– in both on –– and off-road accidents –– died in ATV crashes over the last 20 years

A full 96 percent of ATV crashes on public roadways ended in death between 2000 and 2002.

In 2001, about 540 people – or one half of one percent – of approximately 111,000 ATV drivers and passengers involved in accidents died. Those statistics represent people who sought medical treatment for injuries sustained in crashes and is historically under-reported.

SOURCE: U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the ATV Safety Institute

BigGreenMachine
01-05-2004, 12:32 AM
I hate how these accidents make it bad for the rest of us. Of those 264 accidents, how many were wearing their helmet and how many were just some 10 year old kid riding their dad's 600 pound Grizzly? As for the unstable part, if your driving at 40kph and not trying to fishtail on pavement, then you won't have a problem. And the locked rear diff would mean a four wheel drive pickup with a detroit locker or a spool in the rear diff would be unstable too, right? :evil: Some stupid people in this world!

Ace Mon
01-05-2004, 02:35 PM
Lets face it , the blactop was not meant for atv's We have all had at one time or another an instance where you make a tight turn in the street and pull up 2 wheels . The street is no place for an atv . Some of us who live in the sticks can ride on or beside the street to get to thier riding location . Cool , but do it responsibly . Tear up the track , the pavement doesnt play favorites . Here in Ca. you can drive a 4x4 atv with a windsheild and blinkers on the road or even highway . Sounds cool huh ? How does whipping the wheel to avoid an accident at 45 mph on tarmac sound ? Not so cool does it . The short wheelbase of an atv is just not meant for the road . Ace

TimSr
01-05-2004, 03:00 PM
Gotta aggree with AceMon. If you dont have a differential to slip, you need terrain that will slip under your tires. Non-paved is far superior for ATV handling. Obviously blacktop can be ridden safely if you understand that it will cause extremely poor handling, and adjust your speed accordingly, but most riders seem to view blacktop or concrete as the best place to open it up. Much higher speeds combined with much worse handling might resonably lead to the conclusion that your likelihood of accidents are higher among street riders. Comparing a crash at 25mph, and landing in the dirt with 60mph and landing on blacktop doesnt seem like rocket science either. I sold my streetbike several years ago for realistic statistical reasons.

Throw 2, 3 or 4 kids on one ATV, riding on pavement with no safety gear into the equasion, and the statistics start to get ugly. Adults have a right to put themselves at risk, but I wish they would stop becoming statistics for others to use against us.

REDMAN225
01-05-2004, 06:04 PM
i agree with acemon and tim sr. we should stay off the roads!

YAMAHA_Jim
01-05-2004, 06:45 PM
i'm not gonna tell anyone to stay off the roads b/c I myself hit the roads from time to time when I have to get from trail to trail.I'm referring to back roads though,If thiers painted lines on the road I dont go on it. I see about 10 quads every week go zooming past my house,usually kids on fullsize utility quads w/o helmets. I just shake my head and continue what I'm doing.
I was offered a safety coarse from Yamaha when I bought my Blaster. I passed on taking the safety coarse. I agree that some people shouldnt be allowed to ride w/o taking a safety coarse though.