PDA

View Full Version : Thumb throttle-why?

NVdan
03-10-2014, 01:41 PM
Why do ATCs have thumb throttles instead of twist grip? Is there an advantage to this type throttle? I ask because I have ridden 2 wheel motorcycles and this is my first ATC, 1983 200X.
Would there be a downside to converting to a twist type throttle?

Thanks, Dan

ATC-Eric
03-10-2014, 01:47 PM
I prefer a thumb throttle because IN MY OPINION they are easier to control when your hanging off the side of a machine. Everyone has a different opinion on it. I know a lot of guys out west in the dunes run twisters and swear by them.

tri again
03-10-2014, 02:51 PM
I think it's one of those, 'shifter up or down' kinda theories
but atc eric got it from the designers.
2 wheeled dirt bikes are different but what we are used to.
They thought that hangin' off the side, twisting may be more difficult to control.

now on to why they changed the shifting from down to up?
well, I've gotten on a running trike and stepped on the shifter and jump into gear.
Great question btw

czac
03-10-2014, 02:58 PM
I don't know? maybe cause Snow mobiles had them so the ATC makers figured it would be cool to use one? We always called em dead man throttles... not quite sure why, I mean, everyone said it was incase you fell off or crashed, the throttle would stop as your finger slipped off the lever but a twister would do the same thing so.... Hmmm. I do like my thumb lever though.

DohcBikes
03-10-2014, 03:00 PM
I prefer twist throttles on the clutched bikes. They make it so much easier to roll-on smoothly.

I don't ride semi-auto bikes very often because I'm always trying to clutch them and end up lookin real stupid, but thumb throttles seem to work OK on those.

barnett468
03-10-2014, 06:22 PM
Why do ATCs have thumb throttles instead of twist grip? Is there an advantage to this type throttle? I ask because I have ridden 2 wheel motorcycles and this is my first ATC, 1983 200X.
Would there be a downside to converting to a twist type throttle?

Thanks, DanHello NVdan;

Well imo, that's because ATC's like the Honda ATC250r, are basically recreational vehicles [toys] designed for riders from entry to intermediate skill level, while bikes like the Tecate 3 series were designed to be near race ready high performance vehicles for advanced skill level riders whose abilities allow them to use a twist type throttle to their advantage under the often punishing conditions a rider and high performance machine are subjected to, lol.

See the factory T3 twist throttle in the link below.

http://www.xtremeusa.com/OEMpartfinder.htm#/Kawasaki/KXT250-B1_Tecate_(1986)/HANDLEBAR/KXT250-B1-1986/090203E-6

In my experience, thumb throttles are harder to maintain control of over jumps and rough terrain and I would not use one on a high performance vehicle.

I can easily adjust to either one on a vehicle that is being ridden at lower speeds. Also in my experience, the thumb throttle is FAR safer than the twist.

I have seen MANY new riders give a vehicle too much gas initially, especially on vehicles with clutches and higher performance vehicles, and as the bike suddenly launches forward they suddenly start falling backwards, and as they fall backwards, their hand occasionally rolls the throttle on, thereby exacerbating the problem, lol.

El Camexican
03-10-2014, 07:21 PM
Thumb Pros
- You can pull, twist, rock and do whatever you want with the bars and as long as you don’t touch the thumb lever nothing stupid happens
- Hard to accidently activate in a moment of stupidity
- Still works after you bash the end of the bars
- Allows you to fall off the back of a machine without the added embarrassment of accelerating as you attempt to remain onboard by the tips of your fingers

Thumb Cons
- Your thumb gets cold and lonely in cold weather
- Can’t be finessed enough to be used in road racing conditions
- Can’t be used with a push pull cable system
- Opens a little too fast for the liking of some

For just messing around on a utility trike I love a thumb throttle. On the performance trike I find the throttle takes getting used to as I have found myself accelerating after having the bars shaken by large obstacles when I’d have rather been decelerating, or holding a steady speed.

I’ve never used a thumb throttle in conjunction with a clutch. Never thought about it before DOHC’s comment.

DohcBikes
03-10-2014, 07:46 PM
their hand occasionally rolls the throttle on, thereby exacerbating Excuse me sir, but it has been explained time and again that this is a "family friendly site". :lol::lol::D

barnett468
03-10-2014, 08:59 PM
Excuse me sir, but it has been explained time and again that this is a "family friendly site". :lol::lol::DNo…excuse ME sir, because imo, you appear to be a VERY sick puppy whose in need of immediate therapy.

Hi…my name is DohcBikes and apparently I am a VERY sick puppy and in need of immediate therapy...God I feel so ashamed!

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSb7L-kxQqwXQrCaCZq4y09mizV0rzk8qQdvDWjZildSlwEhIP6we59X lk

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing025.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Ghostv2
03-10-2014, 09:57 PM
The first year of the 225dx came with a factory twist throttle. The next year it was offered as an option.
The only auto trike I know that came with one from the factory. I'd like to find one eventually and see how I like it, but have yet to find the whole assembly.

YTZ drew
03-10-2014, 10:59 PM
You don't "turn" the bars on a motorcycle, unless you are at very slow speeds, so a twist throttle works there. A thumb throttle allows a large amount of handlebar input without altering throttle input, sometimes required when forcing an atv to do what you need it to.

For what it's worth, I have tried both thumb and twist on 2,3, and 4 wheels just for comparison's sake. A twist works for me on a bike or a trike, but is asking for trouble on a quad in the woods, had a built Blaster that came with a twist and I thought it was deadly until I put a thumb back on it. Almost as bad was the time I tried a thumb throttle on a dirt bike, just to see what it was like. Made my forearm and wrist hurt, and I hit it once with my knee while leaning the bike in a turn on a trail- almost ended REALLY BAD!

nachop
03-10-2014, 11:56 PM
I did read in a very old issue of either Dirt Wheels, or 3 & 4 Wheel Action Magazine, that the decision to put thumb throttles on 3 and 4 wheelers was based on safety. On a personal note, once I had grown accustomed to thumb throttles, I rode a three wheeler with a twist throttle and almost lost it in rough section on a sharp turn. After deciding to convert my trike to a twist, THIS little mishap, persuaded me to keep the thumb throttle.

DohcBikes
03-11-2014, 12:07 AM
The first year of the 225dx came with a factory twist throttle.I was just discussing this with el camexican the other day. I agree that the promo video says they had a twist, but I have yet to see one, would love to have the Yamaha twist if anyone has one. My 83 has a thumb throttle.

tri again
03-11-2014, 12:25 AM
nd my alltime dumb%$# move ..
after moving trailers all day on and off the trike 100 times
I hit the throttle with my foot while dismounting and of course it was in gear..
you can guess the rest.

El Camexican
03-11-2014, 12:25 AM
I was just discussing this with el camexican the other day. I agree that the promo video says they had a twist, but I have yet to see one, would love to have the Yamaha twist if anyone has one. My 83 has a thumb throttle.

Yea, that! :pics:

MattDragontamer
03-11-2014, 12:27 AM
Yep, plain and simple, thumb throttle allows for better control then twist.
You can manipulate the bars without rolling the throttle, which allows for better steering.
If you do wheelies, you will defenetly see the advantage of thumb throttle.
Is addition, a thumb throttle usually won't engage the throttle if the bike should land on the bars if rolled. You have all seen those twist throttles mishaps on youtube...

El Camexican
03-11-2014, 12:53 AM
Yep, plain and simple, thumb throttle allows for better control then twist.

I agree with your statement as it applies to an ATV, but on a road bike a twist throttle is much more controllable. If you happen to be riding a sport bike someday and manage to get your knee close the ground try releasing your thumb from the bars and work it back and forth like you would if you had a thumb throttle. I suspect you’ll have trouble releasing your thumb at all let alone move it around. A road racer needs precise throttle control when sliding into corners and a twist throttle allows his hands to fully grip the bar and work the throttle.

MattDragontamer
03-11-2014, 01:22 AM
Yea, i agree, plus twist is better for long rides.

King Trikester
03-11-2014, 03:55 AM
I prefer the twist, my 83 225dx has the twist throttle, I've ridden tones of other machines with both. Once you are used to the twist I find it much more precise. Like others said I think it's a safety thing, first time I ever jumped on a two stroke (2003 rm 250) I almost went over backwards when it hit the power band in 3rd gear, just holding on for dear life giving it more throttle at the same time, but once you are used to it it's much better in my opinion

DohcBikes
03-11-2014, 09:20 AM
I prefer the twist, my 83 225dx has the twist throttleA Yamaha twist or aftermarket? Would love pics of it if you get some time!

JasonB
03-11-2014, 09:25 AM
twist's feel more appropriate on dirtbike/street bikes to me. I hate them on quads, Eric put one on his Warrior and long story short I lost control and ended up launching the bike off a 20 foot drop into the deep end of a lake. I hate them on quads/trikes! Holding on for dear life is hard to do when your trying to unroll that WOT carb.

Tapper on here actually has a cool Moose throttle set up that I am considering. It is a thumb throttle with a little knob you can pull up to allow the twist grip to unlock. So you can ride the bike using the thumb throttle and when you get into long stretches where youre traveling between trails or headed back to camp on back roads etc just unlock the twist grip and relax. I like them, will probably end up with one on my bikes

https://www.denniskirk.com/1901496.sku?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&gclid=COmqnK7Kir0CFQ5gMgodjRsAiA

DohcBikes
03-11-2014, 09:50 AM
Good Idea Jason! Best of both worlds!

Made me remember that on one of my quads back in the day I bought and installed a right grip that actually was a twist setup that just had a lever that would depress the thumb throttle when you rolled on. If you wanted to use the thumb throttle, you could just roll the twist up and out of the way, lock it, and use the thumb throttle. I'm sure they are still available.

Since the fingers on my right hand are much shorter and only have 2 joints each instead of three like normal, I have REAL trouble using a thumb throttle on anything, but on the clutched bikes, its dangerous for me, I just don't have the fluidity in range of motion to roll on to a thumb throttle smoothly.

This thread is great.

barnett468
03-11-2014, 10:18 AM
twist is better for long rides.+1. If i ride hard for more than 30 minutes straight with a thumb throttle, my thumb gets very tired and sore. all the force of the throttle spring is pushing against your thumb, but the worst part is when you go full throttle. just sit there and push your thumb backwards against the armrest of your chair and see how long you can do it.

if i had young kids just learning, i would start them on thumb throttles for the safety reason i mentioned in my previous post.

the good thing is, its fairly cheap and easy to switch. if you try one and don't like it, try the other.

JasonB
03-11-2014, 10:53 AM
one thing i found helpful atleast with my 39PWK i have run on my 500 and 310 was clipping some of the spring off that forces the slide closed in the carb so it would be shorter and not create so much resistance against my thumb. Made for a much nicer smoother use of my thumb throttle and i found made my thumb less fatigued on longer rides. I also ride with an aftermarket thumb throttle that has an extended lever on it. all about comfort lol

c_hustle
03-11-2014, 10:58 AM
I owned and rode lots of dirt bikes before i got my first 250R with a thumb throttle. My first ride with it my thumb was so sore i had to ride with the palm of my hand. I bought a twist throttle soon as i got home and never looked back :)

oldskool83
03-11-2014, 11:37 AM
if you loose control of a dirtbike with a trist throttle you fall off the back. if you loose control of a atv or 3wheel with a twist throttle you fall off the back and it lands on you.

also with dirtbikes your not turing the bars your leaning. I'd rather have a thump on a 3 or 4 wheeler, tried a twist and its ok but does not feel light.

bigmac
03-11-2014, 01:59 PM
Most of the time when I'm riding a trike im hanging off the side. a thumb works better cause all u have to do is move trailprotrailpro thumb in or out

BOB MARLIN
03-11-2014, 02:58 PM
"Well imo, that's because ATC's like the Honda ATC250r, are basically recreational vehicles [toys] designed for riders from entry to intermediate skill level, while bikes like the Tecate 3 series were designed to be near race ready high performance vehicles for advanced skill level riders whose abilities allow them to use a twist type throttle to their advantage under the often punishing conditions a rider and high performance machine are subjected to, lol."

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol:

Funny stuff right there. Especially since kawasaki took years to figure out where the
radiators and head lights belong.

Thumb throttles are a saftey thing.

barnett468
03-11-2014, 09:53 PM
Funny stuff right there. Especially since kawasaki took years to figure out where the radiators and head lights belong.

¿Qué? No comprendo Inglés.

Actually the fork mounted design was intentionally done so professional level riders like Jimmie White, Chris White and Donnie Luce and also any other rider whom wanted to feel the exhilarating rush of riding a pure bred race machine like the Tecate series of 3 wheeled ATV'S, would not be impeded by the lower tank mount radiators thereby allowing them uninhibited freedom of movement on the vehicle as they ATTEMPT to push their uber powerful, ultra high performance KAWASAKI engines and lightweight chassis’s, designed with space age Prerfabulated Amulite and Super Nano Thingamajiggy’s, that have super plush, extra long travel suspension and superior stability aided by the massive 41 mm forks [as opposed to the wimpy 39 mm ones that come on a HONDA atc250r TOY], which cushions a riders landing to a degree of comfort that that is unsurpassed in the industry and which would likely made the biggest jump feel like they had simply ran over nothing more than a BAD HONDA CDI BOX, to the outer limits of its capabilities, however. We simply didn’t have enough room to do that on the 86’ and later models.

and head lights belong.

Don’t you know that the higher the headlite is mounted the farther it will shine. Just look at the Score off road vehicles that mount them on the roof of their vehicles.

Hey, we even had an optional dual Halogen helmet mounted accessory and why not, people mount cameras on their helmets all the time.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing025.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php) http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing025.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php) http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing025.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

rg97
03-11-2014, 10:03 PM
Don’t you know that the higher the headlite is mounted the farther it will shine.
Like this?
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing025.gifshens
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll148/Tecate250/IMG_0313.jpg
Picture from Tecate250 here on 3WW

barnett468
03-11-2014, 10:41 PM
As one can clearly see in the photo above, the forward thinking engineers at Kawasaki had the insight to design the headlite guard in such a way that it can be quickly and easily removed, then used as a convenient handle for holding the lite at night when doing fun things like looking for your Honda riding friends CDI box, or checking out some interesting Desert nite creatures etc..

Its convenient multi use design also allows for easy adaption of as many additional headlites as you like. You can stack them two, three or even 10 or 12 high. Hey, there just seems to be no limit to the World Class Kawasaki T3’s headlite uses.

Hey Beav...this stuff is a riot!

Yeah you're right b head, but its not even half as funny as what these guys are doin to this poor guys thread.

Oh yeah, he, he, I forgot...what was it about anyway?

http://media0.giphy.com/media/dxwYVGx3Q94pa/200_s.gif

BOB MARLIN
03-12-2014, 08:57 AM
You will also notice that it appears to have a thumb throttle.

NVdan
03-12-2014, 11:52 AM
Thanks for all of the input. I got my answer and was entertained at the same time. You all are the best!

I will try a twist throttle because I am mainly going trail riding. I can always put the thumb back on if I change my mind.

Dan

barnett468
03-12-2014, 01:54 PM
You will also notice that it appears to have a thumb throttle.

Yes it does, and this is OBVIOUSLY because the rider is most likely unskilled and is afraid that the Tecate with its uber powerful, ultra high performance engine and lightweight chassis, designed with space age Prerfabulated Amulite and Super Nano Thingamajiggy’s, which has super plush, extra long travel suspension and superior stability aided by the massive 41 mm forks [as opposed to the wimpy 39 mm ones that come on a HONDA atc250r TOY], which cushions a riders landing to a degree of comfort that that is unsurpassed in the industry and which would likely made the biggest jump feel like they had simply ran over nothing more than a BAD HONDA CDI BOX, might throw him backwards so violently under even the smallest movement of the throttle as to cause him to roll the throttle on as previously mentioned thereby causing the bike to wheelie and eventually flip over rearward on top of him possibly causing them extreme bofily harm thereby forcing them to ride a much less powerful bike such as ANY Honda.

OMG Barn...pleeeease stop it...you're killin us.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing013.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing025.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

c_hustle
03-13-2014, 12:36 AM
Hey dan, if you ever ride amargosa dunes let me know :)

NVdan
03-13-2014, 01:12 PM
No problem, if I go out there I will let you know. For now I plan to stay in my home area and get the trike to be reliable before I go to the dunes.
Hey dan, if you ever ride amargosa dunes let me know :)